Eckstein signs with Blue Jays

Vance Law

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 01:45 AM)
I would gladly take Eckstein at $4.5M for one season AND Jon Garland as our #3 starter/trading chip over Cabrera. Plus, we wouldn't be worried about adding a leadoff hitter.

I agree. Keeping Uribe around then would've also been acceptable, as he would be a great match with Eckstein as a late-inning defensive replacement.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 07:45 PM)
I would gladly take Eckstein at $4.5M for one season AND Jon Garland as our #3 starter/trading chip over Cabrera. Plus, we wouldn't be worried about adding a leadoff hitter.

Or Eckstein and an actual package for Garland that will help us beyond 2008.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 04:12 AM)
By not signing Eckstein and signing Uribe? You guys are serious in that you'd prefer Eckstein and Uribe over what we have now?

I'd rather have Eckstein at 4.5 million, not give Uribe a contract, and then trade Garland for something other than a one year SS. Hell, at least the idiots on the board wouldn't be saying we acquired a SS who can only hit 2nd in the lineup.

It comes down to whether Cabrera re-signs with us over the long - term.

Because if you sign Eckstein and then have Uribe replace him in defensive situations, at the end of 2008, you have no SS and need to go into the market to get one (don't know off the top of my head who the potential FA SS's are in the 2008 off-season).

If Cabrera doesn't however, then yeah KW probably could have played the Garland trade a little better.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 04:12 AM)
By not signing Eckstein and signing Uribe? You guys are serious in that you'd prefer Eckstein and Uribe over what we have now?

Not so much Uribe and Eckstein, but Uribe, Eckstein and Garland rather than Cabrera -- yes.

That being said, DA is right in that Eckstein wouldn't have taken a one year, $4.5 deal a month ago. At that point he was still looking for relatively big money. And I didn't want Eckstein, but in the hypothetical situation where they could've gotten him on a similar deal, yeah -- I'd take him for a year. My big fear was the years he was going to get.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 10:23 PM)
It comes down to whether Cabrera re-signs with us over the long - term.

Because if you sign Eckstein and then have Uribe replace him in defensive situations, at the end of 2008, you have no SS and need to go into the market to get one (don't know off the top of my head who the potential FA SS's are in the 2008 off-season).

Furcal. Potentially CabO.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Dec 15, 2007 -> 12:58 PM)
Furcal. Potentially CabO.

Right now, it's Furcal, CabO, Renteria, and possibly guys like Eckstein, Uribe, Vizquel, and the usual filler. Those first 3 make it a decent market if none of them sign before they leave, and the development of new SS's by a bunch of teams lately may well cut into the market a bit. I mean, the big spenders are all covered easily at SS except for us and Detroit. The Angels have 3, the Dodgers have Hu, the Braves have Escobar, the Mets & Yankees will scoff at SS's, the BoSox are stuck under Lugo's contract. There'll still be a market with teams like the Tigers, White Sox, Giants, Blue Jays, and a few others thrown in needing guys to play that spot, but it's nice that the real big money teams shouldn't be in the market.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 15, 2007 -> 03:23 PM)
Right now, it's Furcal, CabO, Renteria, and possibly guys like Eckstein, Uribe, Vizquel, and the usual filler. Those first 3 make it a decent market if none of them sign before they leave, and the development of new SS's by a bunch of teams lately may well cut into the market a bit. I mean, the big spenders are all covered easily at SS except for us and Detroit. The Angels have 3, the Dodgers have Hu, the Braves have Escobar, the Mets & Yankees will scoff at SS's, the BoSox are stuck under Lugo's contract. There'll still be a market with teams like the Tigers, White Sox, Giants, Blue Jays, and a few others thrown in needing guys to play that spot, but it's nice that the real big money teams shouldn't be in the market.

Renteria has a pretty reasonable team option for '09, if he's even decent next year I suspect Detroit will activate it. So that takes them off the market for a SS and leaves Furcal and Cabrera as the only good options.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 15, 2007 -> 01:35 PM)
Renteria has a pretty reasonable team option for '09, if he's even decent next year I suspect Detroit will activate it. So that takes them off the market for a SS and leaves Furcal and Cabrera as the only good options.

$11 million club option, $3 million buyout. Didn't see that, sorry.