Santana wants 7yrs @ $20mm/yr

Linnwood

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 15, 2007 -> 01:14 PM)
I thought Santana showed some significant signs of slowing down last year in terms of homers allowed and velocity. Not that it matters with the Sox, as they have zero chance of acquiring him in a trade, and if Santana did become a FA, there's no way we'd outbid everyone.

Yeah. No use salivating over a dinner you just aren't going to have.

Part of the reason why that level of contract number is being floated is that Johan is still not a FA next year. In other words, if he could lock in 7/$140 right now, he increases his salary by about $7 million next year and at the same time locks in $133 million in guarantees on the off chance he gets injured next year. He clearly would be able to get more on the FA Market in a year, but that assumes he stays healthy for another year, doesn't have any dropoff in performance, and has everything else just stay normal. Even if he's got a 95% chance of having all those things happen, a 5% chance of his arm exploding and winding up with Tommy John surgery or something like that could cost him $125 million. Would you risk losing $125 million to maybe add $35-$40 million onto your contract by hitting the FA Market?

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 15, 2007 -> 01:14 PM)
I thought Santana showed some significant signs of slowing down last year in terms of homers allowed and velocity. Not that it matters with the Sox, as they have zero chance of acquiring him in a trade, and if Santana did become a FA, there's no way we'd outbid everyone.

I agree with you. I also would like to see his last two seasons numbers against the Sox and against every otehr team.

The AL Central could also lose CC after this season could they not?

I think these are the reasons this division could really turn quickly.