Roberts to Cubs Deal Dead

fathom

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2008 -> 08:32 PM)
duh, as much as cubs fans want, they cant make crappy trades happen. That package was about equal to Broadway, Richar, and Masset.

So you are saying that the Orioles might be interested in that? ;)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jan 10, 2008 -> 05:48 PM)
Gio for Roberts, or Gio and plus some for Roberts?

If it's the Cedeno/Marshall one, Gio alone might well have beaten it. But there appears to be a reason why this deal hasn't happened yet, because that price clearly isn't enough.

I think Hill is overrated but he is better than Roberts. I also think Pie will be no better than Brian Anderson. Pie has failed as much if not more than Anderson IMHO.

Without Hill that rotation would be an utter disaster although in that pathetic division it may still be enough to get eliminated in the first round once again.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 12, 2008 -> 05:09 PM)
Levine says deal is dead because the O's were actually asking for impact players in return. Of course since the Cubs couldnt grab him he says that "Roberts is not available." Which of course is not true, that package would be easy to match for several teams.

The whole idea that Roberts had no value was laughable. As long as he produces on the field, teams don't care about what he does off of it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 12, 2008 -> 05:09 PM)
Levine says deal is dead because the O's were actually asking for impact players in return. Of course since the Cubs couldnt grab him he says that "Roberts is not available." Which of course is not true, that package would be easy to match for several teams.

Supposedly the players the Cubs refused to part with are Tyler Colvin and Felix Pie. If it were me, Rich Hill and Sean Marshall would be considered more valuable than Pie. I dont know much about Colvin, but Hill and Marshall are both pretty decent lefties with MLB experience

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 10:55 AM)
Supposedly the players the Cubs refused to part with are Tyler Colvin and Felix Pie. If it were me, Rich Hill and Sean Marshall would be considered more valuable than Pie. I dont know much about Colvin, but Hill and Marshall are both pretty decent lefties with MLB experience

I think Pie's starting to head into "can't miss who did" territory. He just isn't hitting enough to be a starting MLB outfielder. If the Cubs were smart, they'd try to package him for a reliable starter before his value drops.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 11:15 AM)
I think Pie's starting to head into "can't miss who did" territory. He just isn't hitting enough to be a starting MLB outfielder. If the Cubs were smart, they'd try to package him for a reliable starter before his value drops.

I agree, merely looking at the fact that Pie couldnt take the CF job from Jacque Jones last year(or at least create some playing time for himself) speaks volumes.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 12:52 PM)
So the Cubs are still close to getting Brian Roberts? For the past 3 weeks?

Bruce "bombshell" Levine said that the deal is dead because the Orioles want one of Colvin or Pie in the deal as well as Murton, Marshall and Gallagher

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 12:55 PM)
Bruce "bombshell" Levine said that the deal is dead because the Orioles want one of Colvin or Pie in the deal as well as Murton, Marshall and Gallagher

Not surprised. I think I'm closer to getting a date with Mandy Moore than the Cubs trading for Roberts.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 12:55 PM)

Long term this isn't a great trade for the Cubs, but for a team going for it now, I'd seriously have to consider throwing in Pie to get a guy like Roberts.

Bob

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 10:33 PM)
Long term this isn't a great trade for the Cubs, but for a team going for it now, I'd seriously have to consider throwing in Pie to get a guy like Roberts.

Bob

Who plays CF for the cub if they trade Pie? Fukodome? Resign Patterson? An outfield of Soriano, Fukodome and Ward......

I am really not sure how much better the cubs are this season and the NL has really improved. Any learning curve for Fukodome and they could be in trouble.

Apparentley it isnt quite dead....seen this on mlbrumors.com TIFWIW

Report: Cubs to Acquire Roberts

According to ESPN 1000 in Chicago, the Cubs and Orioles have reached a tentative agreement on a trade that would send Brian Roberts to the Cubs for at least three players. It sounds iffy because no players are known but it is believed that they are holding off on announcing it until this weekends Cubs Convention. The Cubs have been known to save announcements on signings and such till the Convention. Last year, it was the signing of Jeff Samardjiza, so it is possible. Also, with the signing of Jon Lieber it would make sense they would trade a pitcher like Sean Marshall or Sean Gallagher. More on this as it unfolds...

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jan 17, 2008 -> 03:10 AM)
Apparentley it isnt quite dead....seen this on mlbrumors.com TIFWIW

Report: Cubs to Acquire Roberts

According to ESPN 1000 in Chicago, the Cubs and Orioles have reached a tentative agreement on a trade that would send Brian Roberts to the Cubs for at least three players. It sounds iffy because no players are known but it is believed that they are holding off on announcing it until this weekends Cubs Convention. The Cubs have been known to save announcements on signings and such till the Convention. Last year, it was the signing of Jeff Samardjiza, so it is possible. Also, with the signing of Jon Lieber it would make sense they would trade a pitcher like Sean Marshall or Sean Gallagher. More on this as it unfolds...

Pie or Hill better be in the deal.