Reds sell "high" on Hamilton

santo=dorf

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bureau:

Thanks for the posts because just about all of what you post is pretty damn enlightening. However, I'd like to make one general comment on the projection of de los Santos, that being that I always find it kind of odd how anyone can project pitchers in A ball. It seems to me that way too much assuming is going on, and it would be better for someone to take a wait-and-see approach. For example, just do this hypothetical for me: assume that de los Santos develops a 50 changeup, nothing special. Also assume that he won't get injured (a big stretch for just about any pitcher it seems). What does he project as then? Obviously this would bevastly different than if he can't throw a changeup to save his life, etc etc. I hope you see what I'm getting at here.

Good to know we're on the same page. It's a bit humorous seeing the hostility you're receiving for posting somewhat pessimistic opinions of "our" top prospects, but that's probably due to the state of the Sox farm system being as pathetic as it is.

Random question, and this is only because this player is completely baffling to me: what the hell is with Lyndon Estill? For someone who averages a strikeout a little over every two ABs, how does he even walk, let alone make contact? After following him via box scores I just assumed he'd hover around .200 with no power.

• 4 months later...
QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 7, 2008 -> 07:20 PM)
Bump for Bureau

Hamilton: .299/.349/.545 7 HR, 36 RBI's

Volquez: 4-1, 1.27 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, 35.1 IP, 42 K's, 1 HR allowed

Normally I'd say this deal worked out for both clubs considering both players are at the top of the important stat categories in each league, but with the Ranger's in need of pitching basically since Nolan Ryan retired, they definitely lost this one.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 8, 2008 -> 07:04 AM)
Normally I'd say this deal worked out for both clubs considering both players are at the top of the important stat categories in each league, but with the Ranger's in need of pitching basically since Nolan Ryan retired, they definitely lost this one.

although I think Volquez is the real deal. I think it still may be too early to proclaim a winner and loser. Maybe a few years too early.

BTW hamilton is on pace for 170 RBIs

But how can you go wrong with a 24 year old stud with a 1.06 era? Our "ace" gave up more earned runs before April 1st(7 ER during the March 31st season opener) than Edinson has given up so far in his first 7 starts (5 er) .

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 8, 2008 -> 08:23 AM)
after reading the 1st few pages of this thread, it is a reminder of why not to take message boards too seriously.

Are you distancing yourself from making wrong assessments on talent?Iam sure your a part of it at times also.

QUOTE (Felix @ May 8, 2008 -> 08:49 AM)
Prime example was yesterday, when Volquez threw 118 pitches despite being up 9-0.

Dear God, he's going to do what he did to Prior and Wood to Cueto and Volquez. How this man is allowed to do this type of thing blows my mind.