Benazir Bhutto assasinated

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 11:08 AM)
OK so, first, she was shot.

Then, the Paks said no, she tied of shrapnel wounds.

Now the are saying she died when she fell and hit her head on a lever in the car.

Ugh. That last one just doesn't even seem believable to me.

Here is a new camera angle. Looks like the reports of the head injuries, or the shrapnel wounds are bulls***. The slow mo at the end is pretty interesting.

MSNBC.com video of the Bhutto murder.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 31, 2007 -> 12:53 AM)
Here is a new camera angle. Looks like the reports of the head injuries, or the shrapnel wounds are bulls***. The slow mo at the end is pretty interesting.

MSNBC.com video of the Bhutto murder.

Yikes. So really, the next question becomes... was this incompetence while being rushed in a decision, or are they trying to cover something up. And what are they trying to cover up, exactly?

Two things stand out to me. One, the car is bomb-proof - so the fact that there was a shooter to assure the death seems to indicate they knew that ahead of time. That sounds like maybe someone on the inside was involved. Two, the shooter - clean-shaven, sunglasses, suit... doesn't seem like the average Paki on the street, nor does it what suicide bombers tend to where (pure white cotton). I don't know, maybe I'm just paranoid, but his appearance - and his ability to calmly approach the vehicle and kill Bhutto accurately with a pistol - give it the air of him being a pro.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 31, 2007 -> 09:09 AM)
Yikes. So really, the next question becomes... was this incompetence while being rushed in a decision, or are they trying to cover something up. And what are they trying to cover up, exactly?

Two things stand out to me. One, the car is bomb-proof - so the fact that there was a shooter to assure the death seems to indicate they knew that ahead of time. That sounds like maybe someone on the inside was involved. Two, the shooter - clean-shaven, sunglasses, suit... doesn't seem like the average Paki on the street, nor does it what suicide bombers tend to where (pure white cotton). I don't know, maybe I'm just paranoid, but his appearance - and his ability to calmly approach the vehicle and kill Bhutto accurately with a pistol - give it the air of him being a pro.

Considering that the suicide bomber was directly behind the shooter, I'm sure the shooter was a 'casualty' and therefore cannot be caught and made to answer any questions. That's convenient as well.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Dec 31, 2007 -> 11:22 AM)
Except that Musharraf had absolutely nothing to gain by killing Bhutto.

Yes and no. He had everything to gain, but everything to lose. Its a matter of deciding if he thought her martyrdom would cause a surge beyond her level of popularity as it was. That's not such a simple thing - could go either way.

And I am not saying it was him involved - I said someone inside. Could be others.

It's a HUGE gamble for Musharraf that includes severely compromising his friendship with the US which is one of the only stable things left in his government.

In a sense, I'd argue that Bhutto's party had everything to gain by her death. She was a failed prime minister twice over who could never seem to walk the talk on the moderate principles that she claims to embrace.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Dec 31, 2007 -> 11:50 AM)
It's a HUGE gamble for Musharraf that includes severely compromising his friendship with the US which is one of the only stable things left in his government.

In a sense, I'd argue that Bhutto's party had everything to gain by her death. She was a failed prime minister twice over who could never seem to walk the talk on the moderate principles that she claims to embrace.

Could be her own party I suppose. Who is ready to step up in her party though? Because it sounds like her son is stepping in.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Dec 27, 2007 -> 10:29 PM)
apparently the US administration has repeatedly denied requests to beef up security around her, per her request, and those on the foreign relations committee.

us administration thoughts were that its Musharaff's responsibility to protect her and that his people were to be trusted to carry out that responsibility.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 01:22 AM)
Since the U.S. started dumping tens of billions of dollars into the Pakistani security services that were supposed to do the protecting of her, and perhaps since the U.S. arranged for her return to the country and arranged for the power-sharing agreement that was supposed to stabilize that country.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071231/ap_on_..._pe/us_pakistan

WASHINGTON - The United States provided a steady stream of intelligence to Benazir Bhutto about threats against her before the former Pakistani prime minister was assassinated and advised her aides on how to boost security, although key suggestions appear to have gone unheeded, U.S. officials said Monday.

Now I'm sure, that somehow, this is still George W. Bush's and/or America's fault. rolly.gif

And now, the real fun begins it seems.

Pakistan's Interior Ministry backtracked Tuesday on its statement that Benazir Bhutto died because she hit her head on a sunroof latch during a shooting and bomb attack.

The government also published a reward offer in several national newspapers to anyone who could identify two suspects from the killing.

Interior Ministry spokesman Javed Iqbal Cheema told CNN the ministry will wait for the findings from forensic investigators before making a conclusion about her cause of death.

Cheema said he based his statement Friday about the sunroof latch "on the initial investigations and the reports by the medical doctors" who treated her at Rawalpindi General Hospital.

"I was just narrating the facts, you know, and nothing less nothing more," Cheema said.

Athar Minallah, a lawyer on the board that manages Rawalpindi General Hospital, told CNN Monday that doctors did not make the statements attributed to them by the government.

The medical report -- obtained by CNN from Minallah -- made no mention of the sunroof latch and listed the cause of death as "Open head injury with depressed skull fracture, leading to Cardiopulmonary arrest."

Minallah issued an open letter Monday and released the doctors' clinical notes to distance them from the government statement.

In the letter, Minallah said the doctors "suggested to the officials to perform an autopsy," but that Saud "did not agree." He noted that under the law, police investigators have "exclusive responsibility" in deciding to have an autopsy.

Minallah told CNN that he was speaking out because the doctors at the hospital were "threatened."

"They are government servants who cannot speak; I am not," he said. He did not elaborate on the threats against the doctors.

And if that werent' enough, McClatchy attempts to provide that whole motive thing.

The day she was assassinated last Thursday, Benazir Bhutto had planned to reveal new evidence alleging the involvement of Pakistan's intelligence agencies in rigging the country's upcoming elections, an aide said Monday.

Bhutto had been due to meet U.S. Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., and Rep. Patrick Kennedy, D-R.I., to hand over a report charging that the military Inter-Services Intelligence agency was planning to fix the polls in the favor of President Pervez Musharraf.

Safraz Khan Lashari, a member of the Pakistan People's Party election monitoring unit, said the report was "very sensitive" and that the party wanted to initially share it with trusted American politicians rather than the Bush administration, which is seen here as strongly backing Musharraf.

"It was compiled from sources within the (intelligence) services who were working directly with Benazir Bhutto," Lashari said, speaking Monday at Bhutto's house in her ancestral village of Naudero, where her husband and children continued to mourn her death.

Lashari said the report claimed that U.S. aid money was being used to fix the elections. Ballots stamped in favor of the Pakistan Muslim League-Q, which supports Musharraf, were to be produced by the intelligence agencies in about 100 parliamentary constituencies.

"They diverted money from aid activities. We had evidence of where they were spending the money," Lashari said.