Joe Crede

JohnCangelosi

QUOTE(shipps @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 09:40 AM)
I would rather have Fields and a healthy Crede on the field if the season started today.I want Quentin to prove to me that he deserves to be out there.I personally do not think Quentin is one of the most talented young players on the team.If he can beat out Josh than that will create a good problem for our organization.

That's weird. I think Quentin is by far the most talented player on the team. His minor league stats say that to me.

Edited by max power

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 11:24 AM)
I would like to sign Joe Crede to along term extension

Call Joe up and tell him to suspend logic for a bit. Tell him that coming off of his back surgery he shouldn't take a contract for max years or max money he should immediately sign a deal in his least favorable(coming off back surgery) negotiation stance. Tell him to fire his agent, and take a sweetheart home deal because he likes the sox. If he does that, he is a white sox player.

But in reality one picks Boras because one wants financial stability for his family because as Joe Crede has found out, scary injuries can threaten ones career. If I was a MLB player, I would call Boras in a second. The guy gets you max money, and max years. Joe Crede didnt pick Boras's name out of a hat.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 06:10 PM)
Call Joe up and tell him to suspend logic for a bit. Tell him that coming off of his back surgery he shouldn't take a contract for max years or max money he should immediately sign a deal in his least favorable(coming off back surgery) negotiation stance. Tell him to fire his agent, and take a sweetheart home deal because he likes the sox. If he does that, he is a white sox player.

But in reality one picks Boras because one wants financial stability for his family because as Joe Crede has found out, scary injuries can threaten ones career. If I was a MLB player, I would call Boras in a second. The guy gets you max money, and max years. Joe Crede didnt pick Boras's name out of a hat.

I am NOT going to call Joe Crede and tell him anything. :lol:

Boras apparently does a good job for his clients and that's why they hire him. The Sox don't want/like to or simply refuse to deal with Boras. Too bad for the Sox because they might lose out on some good players. I have really forgot why there is such a strong dislike for Boras in the Sox org.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 12:54 PM)
And what about Fields tells you he is "lacking the natural ability" to be a good 3B?

His hands arent soft,his reaction time is slow, and if he does dive and pick one he doesnt have the ability to smoothly get in a solid throwing position to make consistent accurate throws.I can tell each play takes 100% concentration on Josh's part from beginning to end.But he will be a hell of an offensive 3rd basemen put up atleast 30hrs so why be so critical about his defense?

QUOTE(shipps @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 11:04 AM)
His hands arent soft,his reaction time is slow, and if he does dive and pick one he doesnt have the ability to smoothly get in a solid throwing position to make consistent accurate throws.I can tell each play takes 100% concentration on Josh's part from beginning to end.But he will be a hell of an offensive 3rd basemen put up atleast 30hrs so why be so critical about his defense?

Are any of those items things that you'd say a player could never improve upon with time? Perhaps the "soft hands" part, but the rest...that's what practice is for.

QUOTE(shipps @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 01:04 PM)

Most of that I think can be improved and worked on. He isn't a hack over there...watch Ryan Braun. That is a young 3b that has no chance over there and needs to be moved to LF.

The Crede situation is why KW gets paid the big bucks.

I don't know what he should do, but Fields' bat is pretty impressive; Joe's glove

amazing.

If I HAD to make the GM call, I'd trade Joe figuring back injuries are pretty crippling.

See Mike Sweeney.

I would assume the nature of baseball, taking so many hacks so many days, the ODDS

are he'll hurt the back again and again.

In answer to the question, I guess I'd seek pitching for Joe.

QUOTE(shipps @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 01:04 PM)

His hands are fine. He has no problem making throws.

His problem has been the decision to either come in on the ball or to stay back on it. The in between hops are what has killed him over. When he comes in on the ball he should stay back on, he gets the in between hop, or the hop coming off the lip the infield. When he sits back on the ball he should charge, he can again get the in between hop but he also has to rush the throw. His throws for the most part are strong and accurate. What he needs to keep in mind, is to keep his butt down on the ball, and to recognize the difference between the ball you charge and the ball you sit back on. A smaller mitt will help with some of the issue of him finding the ears on the ball when he needs to catch and chuck. It will also force him to have better mechanics on his fielding.

The idea of signing Joe Crede to play 3B and moving Fields is intriguing. I don't know what the real analysis was from the temporary move last year of Fields to LF. He wasn't more than adequate or even a bit below, but nothing that really stood out one way of the other. I was expecting AFL or Winter League ball, but it didn't come about. Fields at 1B and trading Konerko is a possibility, but I'd rather keep Konerko in a Sox uniform. I do know one thing and that's that you can't expect Fields too excel at a new position without some experience and instruction. He is not a plus 3B man yet either so I think moving him to another position is a doable thing and we can expect to see improvement with time. You wouldn't need that at 3B with Joe Crede there. 3B is a critical position and if we are going to make a run at competing for that trophy we need our A plus game

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 02:38 PM)
His hands are fine. He has no problem making throws.

His problem has been the decision to either come in on the ball or to stay back on it. The in between hops are what has killed him over. When he comes in on the ball he should stay back on, he gets the in between hop, or the hop coming off the lip the infield. When he sits back on the ball he should charge, he can again get the in between hop but he also has to rush the throw. His throws for the most part are strong and accurate. What he needs to keep in mind, is to keep his butt down on the ball, and to recognize the difference between the ball you charge and the ball you sit back on. A smaller mitt will help with some of the issue of him finding the ears on the ball when he needs to catch and chuck. It will also force him to have better mechanics on his fielding.

Being able to make the decision to either come in or stay back on a ball especially falls on having the natural ability or not.It is worse than I thought!

QUOTE(shipps @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 12:58 PM)
Being able to make the decision to either come in or stay back on a ball especially falls on having the natural ability or not.It is worse than I thought!

Are you being serious that you think decision-making like that is not something that can be learned, or is this sarcasm flying over my head through the lack of green?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 03:01 PM)
Are you being serious that you think decision-making like that is not something that can be learned, or is this sarcasm flying over my head through the lack of green?

Iam being serious.You have to be able to pick up the spin on the ball or the way the ball is hit off the bat.Its hard to teach someone the eye for that.

QUOTE(shipps @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 03:05 PM)
Iam being serious.You have to be able to pick up the spin on the ball or the way the ball is hit off the bat.Its hard to teach someone the eye for that.

Fielders don't pick up spin patterns, the look for hops and how the hop plays. The only way you can tell that there is a special spin to a ball hit is if its a slow slow bouncing ball. All balls that you hit spin. You know what will help Josh, a coach yelling keep your ass down, a crap load of ground balls and a new mitt.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 03:12 PM)
Fielders don't pick up spin patterns, the look for hops and how the hop plays. The only way you can tell that there is a special spin to a ball hit is if its a slow slow bouncing ball. All balls that you hit spin. You know what will help Josh, a coach yelling keep your ass down, a crap load of ground balls and a new mitt.

I take what you say into account and it makes some sense but then you keep on bringing this mitt thing up and it makes me laugh.

QUOTE(shipps @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 03:32 PM)
I take what you say into account and it makes some sense but then you keep on bringing this mitt thing up and it makes me laugh.

Well they had him change the glove to what Josh calls an infant sized glove. Why would that be. Was it just to f*** with him. If glove type doesn't matter then why exactly do they have specialty gloves for outfielders, infielders, first basemen, and catchers.

QUOTE(shipps @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 03:05 PM)

Yet he has the eye to see the spin on a 95 mph fastball, 90 mph splitter, 85 mph slider, and everything else. Let's just say for a second that seeing the spin is even what fielders do, I'm pretty sure Josh has the eye to be able to do that.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 09:24 AM)
here's the question for 2008....

does josh fields= joe crede?

does josh fields + whatever we receive in trade for Joe Crede= Joe Crede

In 07' Fields had 23 homers in just 100 games. Also Fields had 67 RBI's and a .244 BA in 07'.

In 06' Crede had 30 homers in the 150 games he played in. Crede also had 94 RBI's and a .283 in 06'.

When you compare the stats Fields looks like a better power hitter, but Crede is a better producer overall as in BA and possibly RBI's and obviously defensively at 3rd. But I say let Fields season a little bit and get used to the Major League pitching and he can probably become an all around better hitter then Crede.

Trade Crede and/or prospect for either an outfielder, starting pitcher, a prospect, or young, cheap reliever.

Edited by jenks45monster

QUOTE(jenks45monster @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 02:44 PM)
In 07' Fields had 23 homers in just 100 games. Also Fields had 67 RBI's and a .244 BA in 07'.

In 06' Crede had 30 homers in the 150 games he played in. Crede also had 94 RBI's and a .283 in 06'.

When you compare the stats Fields looks like a better power hitter, but Crede is a better producer overall as in BA and possibly RBI's and obviously defensively at 3rd. But I say let Fields season a little bit and get used to the Major League pitching and he can probably become an all around better hitter then Crede.

Well, one big problem with your analysis there is that you're comparing apples and oranges; you're comparing Joe Crede's career best year, by far, to Josh Fields's rookie 2/3 of a season, which is why you conclude that Joe gives you a better BA/RBI number.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 03:58 PM)
Yet he has the eye to see the spin on a 95 mph fastball, 90 mph splitter, 85 mph slider, and everything else. Let's just say for a second that seeing the spin is even what fielders do, I'm pretty sure Josh has the eye to be able to do that.

Reading the ball off the bat is completely diffrent then seeing it out of a pitchers hand.And it isnt something you can teach,you either have that ability or you dont.It is a matter of inches and mila seconds at 3rd base and that ability is very important.

QUOTE(shipps @ Dec 29, 2007 -> 10:31 AM)
Reading the ball off the bat is completely diffrent then seeing it out of a pitchers hand.And it isnt something you can teach,you either have that ability or you dont.It is a matter of inches and mila seconds at 3rd base and that ability is very important.

You see the ball, you field the ball, period. Stop giving us all this crap about him never going to be a good 3B because he "can't see the spin of the ball of the bat". That is a load of bull.

QUOTE(shipps @ Dec 29, 2007 -> 10:31 AM)

This is just not correct. You cannot teach the REFLEX involved... but you can certainly teach all the things a 3B does defensively to react to a batted ball - including knowing the likely hop and possible turns by reading things like the swing, the pitch, the hitter, the trajectory of the ball in air, the way a batter's stance looks in swing, etc. Those things are learned, and have to be, by every major league 3B as they mature through their careers.