Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 05:15 PM)
Well, I've been practicing on it for the past 2 hours and it just ain't working.

:lol:

"Fittin'a...............no..................

finnahhh...............no...................

finnay................dammit..............

finner.................maybe in Boston.............."

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 11:09 PM)
Does anyone really use the soxtalk "rating system" built into the message board functions?

:lol: apparently someone thinks I'm 1 out of 5 stars.

I think you're being kind...

momma always said less is more ;)

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 11:09 PM)
Does anyone really use the soxtalk "rating system" built into the message board functions?

:lol: apparently someone thinks I'm 1 out of 5 stars.

I think you're being kind...

Congrats you are now at 2 stars. :headbang

Someone plays with it, somehow I have 4 stars. :lolhitting

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 12:06 PM)
Congrats you are now at 2 stars. :headbang

Someone plays with it, somehow I have 4 stars. :lolhitting

:lol: thanks.

I've also had 129 profile views. dang. *blushing* I never knew I was so well liked!

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 11:36 AM)
:lol: thanks.

I've also had 129 profile views. dang. *blushing* I never knew I was so well liked!

Do the words 'morbid curiousity' come to mind?

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 04:52 PM)
I take it if we ever went on a road trip to Cincy again, you won't want to listen to the stylings of Wutang Clan on my iPod? Bummer.

Probably about as much as he wants cigar smoke blown in his face.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 05:53 PM)
What is the point of "finna" though? Heck, "gonna" has the exact same number of letters and they are damn near the same word. It's stuff like that I find really weird. Is it just an attempt to stand out? It doesn't even roll off the tongue in an easy way. It's a clumsy word. Or is this all code? You know, spy talk for the 'hood.

"Finna pink elephant, mocko doola unda the hefty wha's i' bootay".

From a production standpoint---they are MUCH easier to produce. It is a result of co-articulation. The spelling, I imagine, came AFTER the change in production.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 01:12 PM)
From a production standpoint---they are MUCH easier to produce. It is a result of co-articulation. The spelling, I imagine, came AFTER the change in production.

Soxy you mentioned earlier that languages are dynamic and meant to change.Do we just naturally "dumb down" words and expressions?Looking back to Shakespearian times the english language was obviously much more difficult to understand.

QUOTE(shipps @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 02:55 PM)
Soxy you mentioned earlier that languages are dynamic and meant to change.Do we just naturally "dumb down" words and expressions?Looking back to Shakespearian times the english language was obviously much more difficult to understand.

Shakespearean English is more difficult for you to understand--just like Middle English was more difficult for the lay people in the 1600s to understand, only because it is unfamiliar. Structurally it is not more complex than modern English. And I would argue that there are no "simple" or "primitive" languages (although other would disagree). Some linguists, would of course, agree with you that the language is dumbed down and was most "pure" 400 years ago. However, I take the approach that language is an active part of a culture and reflects changes within that culture. There's an interesting book (a good read even for people not in the field) that brushes on some of these topics.

Other times, ease of articulation will influence speech. In the previous example "going to" the "ng" sound is produced in the back of the mouth on the palate. The following sound /t/ is produced right behind the teeth, it is difficult to correctly produce each phone in those words--so the further back sound /ng/ is assimilated and produced with the place of articulation of the /t/ (right behind the teeth). This isn't (at least in my opinion) a dumbing down of language--perhaps it is a lazy form of speech, but it is a perfectly reasonable (and predictable part of speech).

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 03:05 PM)
Shakespearean English is more difficult for you to understand--just like Middle English was more difficult for the lay people in the 1600s to understand, only because it is unfamiliar. Structurally it is not more complex than modern English. And I would argue that there are no "simple" or "primitive" languages (although other would disagree). Some linguists, would of course, agree with you that the language is dumbed down and was most "pure" 400 years ago. However, I take the approach that language is an active part of a culture and reflects changes within that culture. There's an interesting book (a good read even for people not in the field) that brushes on some of these topics.

Other times, ease of articulation will influence speech. In the previous example "going to" the "ng" sound is produced in the back of the mouth on the palate. The following sound /t/ is produced right behind the teeth, it is difficult to correctly produce each phone in those words--so the further back sound /ng/ is assimilated and produced with the place of articulation of the /t/ (right behind the teeth). This isn't (at least in my opinion) a dumbing down of language--perhaps it is a lazy form of speech, but it is a perfectly reasonable (and predictable part of speech).

Shut-up. You love my nerdy babble.

Anyway, that kid asked! What was I supposed to let him do? Swim in a sea of ignorance when there was a cunning linguist right here to answer his questions? No, sir, that would not do.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 02:11 PM)

Anyway, that kid asked! What was I supposed to let him do? Swim in a sea of ignorance when there was a cunning linguist right here to answer his questions? No, sir, that would not do.

Thanx for clarifying.I wish I was a kid. :P

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 02:11 PM)

In the linguistics profession, just how often does the phrase "cunning linguist" get thrown around?

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)
In the linguistics profession, just how often does the phrase "cunning linguist" get thrown around?

Honestly, I only use that phrase among friends. I have a feeling my adviser wouldn't find it nearly as hilarious as I do. . .I'm pretty cool for a linguist. Sad, huh?

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 02:36 PM)
Honestly, I only use that phrase among friends. I have a feeling my adviser wouldn't find it nearly as hilarious as I do. . .I'm pretty cool for a linguist. Sad, huh?

gee, then why did you use it here?

:lolhitting