Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 02:36 PM)
Honestly, I only use that phrase among friends. I have a feeling my adviser wouldn't find it nearly as hilarious as I do. . .I'm pretty cool for a linguist. Sad, huh?

I am not familiar with the idea of a cool linguist, but I imagine it equates out to tallest midget :lol:

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 03:36 PM)
Honestly, I only use that phrase among friends. I have a feeling my adviser wouldn't find it nearly as hilarious as I do. . .I'm pretty cool for a linguist. Sad, huh?

Quite the cunning linguist are we?

:ph34r:

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 05:45 PM)
Has anyone ever done High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)? If you haven't, google it and take it under consideration.

I'm in the peculiar position of training to gain weight, but meanwhile burning excess fat. I didn't want to abandon cardio workouts in the process, either. So I found HIIT and decided to try it out tonight since the temperature outside was around 40. And let me just say, it knocks the living hell out of you.

The concept behind the entire program is running at maximum effort for a short period of time, walking for several minutes, then repeating the process. I would run as fast as I could for 15 seconds and rest for roughly two minutes. It seemed fairly easy in the beginning. After about set four I could no longer run at 100%, but I trudged along anyways. Then the maximum effort decreased, and the breaks became longer than two minutes. By the time I got to my 8th set I was about to pass out. Couldn't do anymore.

People swear by this, and judging from just one day I wouldn't blame them. My entire body is exhausted; and I'm in shape. I previously would jog at a moderate pace for 30 minutes. The only reason I abandoned jogging was it seemed to be holding back my muscle growth. It's a good program and I"m sure people such as Tru have heard of it.

Well I put my name down to do a Work Triathlon in 1 month (not sure exactly why). I have to do a 400M swim, 10KM bike ride (about 6 miles I'd say) and a 4KM run (about 2.5 miles).

I might try this training out, let me know how much fitter Flash you've become by doing this.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 06:36 PM)
Well I put my name down to do a Work Triathlon in 1 month (not sure exactly why). I have to do a 400M swim, 10KM bike ride (about 6 miles I'd say) and a 4KM run (about 2.5 miles).

I might try this training out, let me know how much fitter Flash you've become by doing this.

With those distances, the swim will be by far the toughest leg.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 04:59 PM)
With those distances, the swim will be by far the toughest leg.

Hmph, for me it'd be by far the running. I'm doing like 8 mi on an exercise bike and 2 mi on a regular bike a day, a 400 m swim would be nothing for me (was on the swim team back in high school, that was about half a warmup) but 2.5 miles of a jog would not agree well with me.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 07:51 PM)
Hmph, for me it'd be by far the running. I'm doing like 8 mi on an exercise bike and 2 mi on a regular bike a day, a 400 m swim would be nothing for me (was on the swim team back in high school, that was about half a warmup) but 2.5 miles of a jog would not agree well with me.

For most people who didn't swim on a team at some point, 400 meters is a loooooooooong way.

I used to swim but that was a while ago now.

I'm going to force myself to get up each morning at 6 and swim 400M for 4 weeks.

And I started running for 4 mins, took a break for 8 mins, then ran another 4 minutes around the block. Tomorrow it'll be sprints, then breaks, then sprints, and then the long runs and the breaks and to keep the cycle going.

I have to go get my drivers license renewed tomorrow and they are requiring me to take the written test because of my speeding violations.I wonder if I should study? I havent taking any drivers test in like 8 years its probably all common sense questions anyways isnt it?

QUOTE(shipps @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 10:11 AM)
I have to go get my drivers license renewed tomorrow and they are requiring me to take the written test because of my speeding violations.I wonder if I should study? I havent taking any drivers test in like 8 years its probably all common sense questions anyways isnt it?

The written test was the same when I renewed my license last year, identify some street signs, proper course of action in a given situation. I didnt get any wrong, and didnt study, and I didnt know I had to take it

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 10:14 AM)
The written test was the same when I renewed my license last year, identify some street signs, proper course of action in a given situation. I didnt get any wrong, and didnt study, and I didnt know I had to take it

Thats what I wanted to hear because I really dont feel like reading that wrinkly book.If I dont pass Iam going to feel like such an ass.

Edited by shipps

When I last took it a few years back, they had a few questions like "If you receive a moving violation for failure to stop at a stop sign, what is the punishment?" How should we know that? Anyone who hasn't been pulled over know how much a speeding ticket is? I just thought that was an odd question to have on there. Good luck.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 06:20 PM)
My wife is watching Rachel Ray on TV right now. I swear to god I want a sound bite of this show!!! Seriously, she just said "I can't keep my hands off the sausage"! Call me immature, but I busted my gut laughing at that!!!

that's literally, what she said :lol:

I have been watching the Urban Myths show on the Bio channel recently. I really like the show, it presents 3 different Urban Myths, of which one is true. There is a complete backstory on each myth, with people offering commentary and narration of each story, and at the end of the show the true Urban Myth is revealed. Plus, at every commercial break they offer a minor Urban Myth and give you the truth about the the myth when the show returns from the commercial break.

Sometimes it is plainly obvious which myth is true, but most of the time I wonder about it until the end of the show. Me and my wife usually bet which one we feel is true.

Another show I have been addicted to is Cash Cab on the discovery channel. The looks on some of those peoples faces when the cab lights up are just priceless.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 09:17 AM)
Another show I have been addicted to is Cash Cab on the discovery channel. The looks on some of those peoples faces when the cab lights up are just priceless.

Yeah, this is a fun show. I don't think I can watch it regularly, but I do stop and check it out when I'm remote-surfing.

Just got back from a stay in the ER.The ER that I just so happen to work in, if I didnt get the special treatment my 4 hour stay would have been atleast 8.By the way,GERD and Acid reflux can feel like a heart attack.