Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 11:37 PM)
I'm sick as well. It comes and goes. When I suck balls.

Hope you feel better. Maybe you should stop? BTW, that was close to a great haiku

Wow... I just got a call from the head of this program at MU saying that I've been granted a job interview tonight for one of the Accounting internship positions. I thought nothing was going to come of the 'workshop' that was held this weekend, and just like that... an interview. Anyone have any general tips, anything I can do to prepare? Obviously I'm going to want to research the company more. As far as what to bring (besides my winning personality -- BOO YAH!)... it's fair for me, the interviewee, to bring a pen and something to write on, yes?

Boy am I nervous.

EDIT: My main question is what I should bring... Resume? Cover letter? Writing utensils and (obviously) something to write on? References? If I bring the references, can I just have those at the bottom of my resume? And -- I wasn't really expecting this, so this has jumped up on me and it's why I'm not terribly prepared -- do I need specifics with those references?

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE (CWSGuy406 @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 11:28 AM)
Wow... I just got a call from the head of this program at MU saying that I've been granted a job interview tonight for one of the Accounting internship positions. I thought nothing was going to come of the 'workshop' that was held this weekend, and just like that... an interview. Anyone have any general tips, anything I can do to prepare? Obviously I'm going to want to research the company more. As far as what to bring (besides my winning personality -- BOO YAH!)... it's fair for me, the interviewee, to bring a pen and something to write on, yes?

Boy am I nervous.

EDIT: My main question is what I should bring... Resume? Cover letter? Writing utensils and (obviously) something to write on? References? If I bring the references, can I just have those at the bottom of my resume? And -- I wasn't really expecting this, so this has jumped up on me and it's why I'm not terribly prepared -- do I need specifics with those references?

The single biggest thing when you get an interview that you can't really prepare for all that well (and take it from someone who has been looking for someone for three months now to fill a position) is be comfortable in who you are and don't blow smoke up someone's ass. Answer directly, honestly, and again, I can't say it enough, be confident, but not cocky.

Besides that, give concrete, tangible examples to questions that they ask... what are your strengths? Be able to confidently answer that. What are your weaknesses? Same thing - be confident in your answers and don't him-haw around.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 11:50 AM)
The single biggest thing when you get an interview that you can't really prepare for all that well (and take it from someone who has been looking for someone for three months now to fill a position) is be comfortable in who you are and don't blow smoke up someone's ass. Answer directly, honestly, and again, I can't say it enough, be confident, but not cocky.

Besides that, give concrete, tangible examples to questions that they ask... what are your strengths? Be able to confidently answer that. What are your weaknesses? Same thing - be confident in your answers and don't him-haw around.

Adding on to this, in a similar vein... don't be afraid to say you don't know something. Especially if you are recently out of school, they are not looking for an expert in most things. If you try to act as if you are, that will backfire most of the time. Better to emphasize what you do know, and what strengths you bring, and also be honest about things you don't know.

greasywheels121 Apr 3, 2008 - 10:34 AM It'd be ironic if that ended up on Youtube, zingggggg.

And also that Butters video is apparently a spoof of a real thing, and not just some random video... :huh:

Very disturbing.

Butters version

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 10:56 AM)
For those of us without a car, google maps now has a "take public transit" option when mapping directions in Chicago.

BTW, on my way to today's sox game I used the google option to tell me how to get there....

It had me taking the green line to IIT, instead of taking the red line that drops off right at the stadium...I think i'll keep using the CTA site for now.

Is your interview with a big 4 company Keith?

Just to add on Kap's and NSS72's points, they've pretty much hit the nail on the head. When I talk about my weaknesses also, I tell the recruiter about things that I've done to try and improve them.

E.g I hate public speaking, but I said I took a class at University called Business Communication and one of the main assignments was doing a public presentation in front of a whole bunch of people.

Most of all, good luck, and the interview will be really good experience regardless of the end result.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 06:12 AM)
Is your interview with a big 4 company Keith?

Just to add on Kap's and NSS72's points, they've pretty much hit the nail on the head. When I talk about my weaknesses also, I tell the recruiter about things that I've done to try and improve them.

E.g I hate public speaking, but I said I took a class at University called Business Communication and one of the main assignments was doing a public presentation in front of a whole bunch of people.

Most of all, good luck, and the interview will be really good experience regardless of the end result.

Things not to say in an interview.

"What is your weakness"

"I guess if I had a weakness, its that I work to hard, and care too much."

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 09:19 AM)

"What is your weakness"

Yeah, I hate that question. At some point, I started answering it with, "which answer would you like?" Which usually illicits some chuckles, I tell them I can give them the pat answer if they want me to (shows I can play the game when needed), or I can give them a real answer. They ask for a real weakness, and I give one.

A little thought of part of the interview is you interviewing the company. Many times we are so focused on "getting the offer" we forget that the company has to be right for us. There is something to be said for being honest and candid and see if it is a fit for both of you. A couple times in my career I've had employees who were unhappy with a position or a company and when I reviewed our interview notes I see their answers which were 180 degrees from what they are now saying.

One in particular comes to mind. The job required arriving at 6:00 AM. Will that be a problem?

Most definitely not! I am a morning person and always wake up by 5:00 am. I know it's weird for someone my age to be awake that early, it is probably something I inherited from my dad, an eagerness to get going and get to work

Turns out the guy was also spinning records (tells you how many years ago this was) at a club, after the second week he was late 4 out of 5 days and only lasted another 2 weeks on the job. Stupid for both of us, and if he had been honest, I had another position that had just become available, with much better hours for him, that I probably would have hired him for.

So while thinking about the "best" answer, also think about what will be expected from you and be able to walk the talk.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 08:19 AM)

"What is your weakness"

It works if you're running for President though!

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)
My dog just walked into my office, farted, and walked out.

If I lived in Mesa, I would do the same thing. :headbang

On a different note, my wife and I are moving back to Chicago from Austin this weekend. Sorry Tex, Kap and all the other "Texans" that have moved down here. Here's the kicker...we are buying a house in Oak Park, selling our house here, driving with a 34 week pregnant wife, a crazy cat, trying to find a job, staying with relatives and in a hotel and trying not to bite each others heads off. Fun, eh?

"I was not born in Texas, but I got here just as soon as I could!!!" And to add to that, left just as quick! I'll wave Kap as I drive through Big D.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 10:56 AM)

On a different note, my wife and I are moving back to Chicago from Austin this weekend. Sorry Tex, Kap and all the other "Texans" that have moved down here. Here's the kicker...we are buying a house in Oak Park, selling our house here, driving with a 34 week pregnant wife, a crazy cat, trying to find a job, staying with relatives and in a hotel and trying not to bite each others heads off. Fun, eh?

"I was not born in Texas, but I got here just as soon as I could!!!" And to add to that, left just as quick! I'll wave Kap as I drive through Big D.

Just remember, you are raising the IQ in two states by moving to Chicago

Pet peeve, TV and radio ads, shows etc, that have ringing phones in the background. Wthout a Trace is terrible for this. At least once an episode I think my ohone is ringing.

Dammit, I'm an old man and can't always get up

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 09:56 AM)

Why did you decide to move back? I actually have Austin on the short list of cities I'd like to move to.