Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 08:48 AM)
More than likely Brother Rice administrators are covering their own asses and taking action because of the vague threats which canceled St. Xavier's classes next week.

If some outlandish scenario occured where whatever happened at SXU spilled onto Brother Rice there would definitely be some angry people wondering why nothing was done prior to address the problem. As unfair as it would be, you know it'd happen. Canceling classes doesn't solve an isolated issue involving a separate school, obviously, but it atleast proves to people -- in the event of an emergency -- that the were concerned about your safety.

Oh, definitly. Even if an event were to occur just at SXU, I'm sure the high schools would hear a lot on how their student's saftey was compromised. I'm not complaining for the day of school though.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (CWSGuy406 @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 12:42 AM)
Thanks for the interviewing tips, guys -- I appreciate them all, sorry it took me so long to pass along a thank you.

Jason -- it wasn't an accounting firm, it was the accounting department at a Milwaukee-based company called Direct Supply. I haven't gotten word back from them but there were also two other fellas at school who were interviewing for the same open positions (it was part of a program that I signed up for and was accepted into that basically allowed me the opportunity to interview -- sort of confusing, I know) and they haven't received calls back either, so I'm hoping for something early in the week. If not, as DBAHO said, it was great experience as it was my first 'real' interview.

Speaking of which, Jason, may I ask -- what route did you go? Did you major in accounting and then go straight for the CPA exam? And if so, how many years were you in school for? I met with my advisor and he brought up an interesting thing besides the typical MBA and CPA routes that I always thought about, and that's law school. I'll be taking my first business law course next semester so I'm looking forward to seeing whether I enjoy that class.

Well, I know you didn't ask me, but I'll share, because I've been there, done that on just about all routes of accounting, FWIW.

I majored in accounting, and got my MA before MA's were required. Now, MA's don't mean a damn thing because you have to have some sort of post-graduate work to sit for the CPA exam.

When I first started working, I took temp jobs because I wanted the experience. I then joined a small CPA firm and it was the worst s*** I could have experienced. But it was the guy running it, not necessarily the work. I will say that "busy season" sucks ass.

I then went back to "private" and I worked in several industries - automotive, airline, small business healthcare, large business telecomm, and now pharma. In the process, I went back and got my CPA 7 years after I graduated with the MA and then a couple of years later I went back and got my MBA. Honestly, I think the MBA has opened more doors then the CPA, but it's one of those things that it certainly doesn't hurt you to have as many credentials as you can get. It's one of those things in my mind that says you invest in yourself so that you can differentiate yourself when it comes time for tough times (layoffs) or good times (promotions). The more credentials you have, against an equal performer, a lot of times it will get you the opportunity.

For me saying all that I have said the above on the technical crap, the KEY differentiator is what I like to call "soft skills". It's your style, communication, how you obtain buy-in at the workplace that will make you ultimately successful or not. The degrees and credentials help you get your foot in the door. You have to work on the "soft skills" and that to me is where colleges and universities miss the boat now-a-days. Critical thinking. Teamwork. Buy-in. Actually working with people you can't stand to accomplish something - those are the things that will help you.

I'll leave you with this thought. If something is uncomfortable for you professionally, DO IT. It's how you grow.

P.S.: I don't know what you know about SMU school of law, but it's one of the better law schools in the country that's located in Dallas. I worked with a general counsel that at one point in time was the chair of the school of law at SMU. The guy was a brilliant mind, and he was a damn good businessman. I respected him and his demeanor. I point blank asked him one time with my career in finance, should I go to law school? He said that it's an option, but it's a killer and most of the time it doesn't lead where you think it will. He said in today's environment, an MBA and a CPA will open just as many doors. When he told me that, it was (I think) 5 years ago. I think that an MBA has gotten a little more common now, because it's quietly taken the place of a regular college degree in terms of the requirements for management positions. However, I think that an MBA at the right kind of school is invaluable, as long as they teach you to think critically. That's (again) what makes you successful.

I hope this isn't too much blabber for you (kids...) :D (KIDDING!!! - I feel old typing out all this crap).

P.P.S - this is one of my longest soxtalk posts ever. :lol:

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 07:55 AM)
Our low temp last night was above 70. :lol:

Damn Yankees way up north sure have it bad. I've already lived through a couple 100 degree days and a couple sun burns. I just picked up a couple sailboats for my program. Really sweet. Trying to fit a couple work days on the water into my schedule.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 02:21 AM)
Has anyone else aside from myself never sneezed more than one time in a row? It's always one and done with me. This is something I first noticed a long time ago, but it wasn't until today that I was reminded.

I normally only sneeze twice. But if I'm sick or I have something jammed in my nose really well, it can be 3 or 4. And then one time I sneezed like 12 times in a row, and I have no idea what the hell happened.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 03:21 AM)
Has anyone else aside from myself never sneezed more than one time in a row? It's always one and done with me. This is something I first noticed a long time ago, but it wasn't until today that I was reminded.

You are weird, not normal, and your probably an alien.. Get help.

Nope

Whenever my press operator refills the powder sprayer, he sneezes like 20 times or more in a row. He has to sit down for a few minutes because he is so dizzy afterwards. We start counting when he does that and take quick bets as to how many he will do. He hates that.

You will probably be jealous that I almost always sneeze three times.

That may be the oddest personal observation I have ever encountered. Snuff some pepper and report back to see if one and done still holds true.

:)

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 07:28 PM)
I drove to Branson and back yesterday, it sucked.

I have to do that twice a year, as my inlaws live about 10 minutes from there. Unless you want to ride a gocart, it is not much fun. Although they do occasionally have a good show there. I saw Wayne Newton a few years back, it was an excellent show.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 07:35 AM)
I have to do that twice a year, as my inlaws live about 10 minutes from there. Unless you want to ride a gocart, it is not much fun. Although they do occasionally have a good show there. I saw Wayne Newton a few years back, it was an excellent show.

I did see some nice go kart tracks. Was only there for about an hour, had to pick up a car that was being repaired with a friend for his sister. She gave us each a hundred bucks and bought us the food we ate on the way. So that was kinda sweet.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 04:19 AM)
I'm sitting here and a girls gone wild infomercial is on the tv, and the camera man told this girl that she was absolutely gorgeous. She didn't even say thank you. It bothered me.

If you were high on ecstasy and drunk as s***, and I told you that you were gorgeous, would you say thank you?