Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 14, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)
So Tom Brady said that ESPN is like MTV in that MTV used to show music videos and ESPN used to show highlights but that it's pretty much all about the drama and craziness now a days.

That's why he's fav.

Did MTV start only showing videos made in the northeast?

QUOTE (Brian @ May 14, 2008 -> 08:27 PM)
10,000!! Just realized!

meh, slacker.

Welcome to the club :headbang It wasn't that long ago that 10,000 posts meant something around here. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 14, 2008 -> 10:49 PM)

meh, slacker.

Welcome to the club :headbang It wasn't that long ago that 10,000 posts meant something around here. :lolhitting

Yeah, I remember not too long ago when that used to be called the Loser Line and everybody above 10K was considered a freak. Now, 10K to just over 11K is considered the epicenter of coolness but anybody much above that is still pretty much a loser.

I know. It's funny how social standards change around here but I always seem to be right there in the heart of the cool zone. I can't really explain it either.

:unsure:

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 15, 2008 -> 05:34 AM)
Yeah, I remember not too long ago when that used to be called the Loser Line and everybody above 10K was considered a freak. Now, 10K to just over 11K is considered the epicenter of coolness but anybody much above that is still pretty much a loser.

I know. It's funny how social standards change around here but I always seem to be right there in the heart of the cool zone. I can't really explain it either.

:unsure:

So very true. Especially when Pachorkin's Curved Law of Coolness is factored in. B)

10,000 - 11,200 Cool

20,000 - 22,400 Cool X2

30,000 - 34,200 Cool X3

40,000 - 46,400 Cool -X2

50,000 - 69,200 Cool -X3

Is it really so hard for people to park in one spot?

Sometimes, I miss having an old beater car that I didn't care about. I used to squeeze in next to the asshole who thinks his porsche needs two spaces, right up next to it, when I had a car I didn't care about. That was always fun.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 15, 2008 -> 07:04 AM)

Sometimes, I miss having an old beater car that I didn't care about. I used to squeeze in next to the asshole who thinks his porsche needs two spaces, right up next to it, when I had a car I didn't care about. That was always fun.

:headbang

Way back when Lakehurst was a new mall and not a parking lot, there was one security guard whose life mission was ticketing every one of those "self absorbed f***ers who think they are better then us". There was one spot in particular with two spaces under a tree and curb to prevent anyone from parking around you. Guys would pull across those two spots at right angles to the other spots. He would park his old beater right behind their rear bumper, legally in that spot, and watch as they took 20 minutes of small maneuvers to get out.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 15, 2008 -> 08:04 AM)

I love having a train station car that I don't care about for just these situations...

Anyone remember a trading card series from the late 80's called "Dinosaurs Attack!"? Earlier this afternoon I happened to read an article discussing a recent fossil discovery and, for some reason, thought back to the long-departed series. The ridiculous premise behind the cards is dinosaurs are transported back to our current world through a malfunctioning "time scanner" and reek a terrible vengeance upon humanity. It's 55 cards full of non-stop fatalities and often strange images. It's as if their entire purpose was to warp the minds of children. The back of the cards feature discriptions and commentary of events.

These are, outside the anime world, the most gruesome cartoon photos imaginable. It's difficult to say how these cards would be tolerated in today's world, since we've just substituted images of violence from trading cards into realistic video games, but I love it how these were marketed to children. My brother owned several of the cards, and even before I found the website below I remembered one image vividy. It was quite disturbing for someone such as myself to see:

df08.jpg

Jesus, some of these are just strange. Look at this dousy:

(Front)

df52.jpg

(Back)

db52.jpg

WTF?

Main page link for anyone interested in viewing the complete set: http://www.bobheffner.com/dinosaursattack/indexfront.htm

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ May 15, 2008 -> 12:15 PM)
Anyone remember a trading card series from the late 80's called "Dinosaurs Attack!"? Earlier this afternoon I happened to read an article discussing a recent fossil discovery and, for some reason, thought back to the long-departed series. The ridiculous premise behind the cards (which follow a storyline) is dinosaurs are transported back to our current world through a malfunctioning "time scanner" and reek a terrible vengeance upon humanity.

These are, outside the anime world, the most gruesome cartoon photos imaginable. It's difficult to say how these cards would be tolerated in today's world, since we've just substituted images of violence onto our video screens instead of trading cards, but I love it how these were marketed to children. My brother owned several of the cards, and even before I found the website below I remembered one image vividy: http://www.bobheffner.com/dinosaursattack/front7.htm. It's disturbing for a young child to see that, lol.

Main page link for anyone interested in viewing the complete set: http://www.bobheffner.com/dinosaursattack/indexfront.htm

Wow, those are great. I kind of knew those had come out, but had outgrown most card collecting by then. Only in looking back at that set do I see what a great job they did of paying homage to the 1962 original mars Attacks series with the garish colors and the over-the-top comic book graphic gore.

I want that set now.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 15, 2008 -> 11:33 AM)
Wow, those are great. I kind of knew those had come out, but had outgrown most card collecting by then. Only in looking back at that set do I see what a great job they did of paying homage to the 1962 original mars Attacks series with the garish colors and the over-the-top comic book graphic gore.

I want that set now.

$20 too much?

So what else do you want?

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 15, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)

I want that set now.

I'm interested in purchasing the set, but more as a history lesson.

db54.jpg

We apparently made dinosaurs go extinct now........AND 65 million years ago!

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 15, 2008 -> 11:57 AM)
Nope, it beats the heck out of the $2,000 I'd drop if I tried to buy a mint 55-card set of the original Mars Attacks cards.

$2,000!! I'll sell you mine for $200

If I had any.

/I'm such a bastard

QUOTE (knightni @ May 15, 2008 -> 12:07 PM)

If I was single and irresponsible that set would be mine. It may have to be mine anyway.

Damn, I'll be sleeping on the couch for a week once the wife finds out. Which is totally not fair – she gets to buy groceries and clothes for the kids and stuff, so whay can't I buy something nice for myself? :unsure:

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 15, 2008 -> 01:12 PM)
If I was single and irresponsible that set would be mine. It may have to be mine anyway.

Damn, I'll be sleeping on the couch for a week once the wife finds out. Which is totally not fair – she gets to buy groceries and clothes for the kids and stuff, so whay can't I buy something nice for myself? :unsure:

Why don't you get the remake set?

QUOTE (knightni @ May 15, 2008 -> 12:32 PM)
Why don't you get the remake set?

I already have that set, but only have a couple of original cards from the 1962 set. I also have some of the Topps Batman cards from te 60s that were painted by teh same guy who did Mars Attacks. That guys Civil War set is also way expensive now, but pretty cool in all its comic book gore.