Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 10:08 PM)
I went to Medora, ND on Saturday and came back Sunday afternoon. First off, it's a neat little tourist attraction considering the second best tourist attraction in North Dakota is a giant f***ing cow. Secondly, it's North Dakota's best 1 day trip in the state because there's only enough stuff to do for 1 day and then you get bored out of your mind. There are 3 old fashioned general stores, like 7 ice cream shops, 3-4 real restaurants in town, and everything in the town is overpriced like no other.

I did get to ride through Teddy Roosevelt National Park (while slightly intoxicated) and that was OK, especially the part where 10 buffaloes were standing right in the middle of the road we were driving on. I yelled at them pretty good but they seemed generally uninterested in some drunk dude's rantings.

Please tell me you weren't driving.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 01:06 PM)
Please tell me you weren't driving.

never...I swore about 4 months ago that I'd never drive after I had more than 2 drinks ever again in my life. I've done it before and was lucky enough to never have hurt anybody, but it's the stupidest thing I've ever done.

As a matter of fact, I had 1 beer at like 3 in the afternoon, 2 at dinner that night (which was 6:30), and I didn't want to drive, so yes, in that regard, I'm a smart drunk. I just don't feel safe at all when behind the wheel.

QUOTE (SnB @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 05:56 PM)
i went engagment ring shopping this weekend.

yikes.

I believe there are three important questions:

1. Have either of you begun working at your career jobs?

2. Do you plan on starting a family?

3. How long would you wait between announcing the wedding and actual marriage? If it's more than a year than you're not ready for marriage.

I wouldn't advise you to do this, because it's not typical and could backfire (since I don't know you, let alone this girl), but there's always the option of actually discussing marriage before handing her a ring. My parents were dating for six years, and knew they'd get married one day but neither had their careers set. They were also set on beginning a family, so their intentions may be different from yours.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 03:36 AM)

3. How long would you wait between announcing the wedding and actual marriage? If it's more than a year than you're not ready for marriage.

I wouldn't advise you to do this, because it's not typical and could backfire (since I don't know you, let alone this girl), but there's always the option of actually discussing marriage before handing her a ring. My parents were dating for six years, and knew they'd get married one day but neither had their careers set. They were also set on beginning a family, so their intentions may be different from yours.

Not typical? I've been engaged twice (only married once), and in both instances, there were long discussions about marriage beforehand.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 07:14 AM)
Not typical? I've been engaged twice (only married once), and in both instances, there were long discussions about marriage beforehand.

Well... it sometimes is all about the raging hormones and then it's supposed to be marriage after that. Hopefully not, but sometimes people make that decision based on things they shouldn't.

Marriage is not what young people think it is, that's for sure.

Damn, I'm old. :lol:

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 08:01 AM)
Well... it sometimes is all about the raging hormones and then it's supposed to be marriage after that. Hopefully not, but sometimes people make that decision based on things they shouldn't.

Marriage is not what young people think it is, that's for sure.

Damn, I'm old. :lol:

There is no method that is right all the time. I remet my wife in August of 89, started dating her in October, moved in together in January, engaged by February and married by September. All with no pregnancy involved. Although I was already at what I THOUGHT would be my career job (position 'eliminated' several months later).

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 04:36 AM)

1. both of us are currently working full time jobs, she just started her career as a nurse

2. yes

3. .......she went with me shopping.......she knows whats goign on

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 01:21 AM)
Hey witesoxfan, I was reading a magazine in which they said the 2nd best sports store (not sure if it's a card store or an actual apparel store) in the USA is somewhere in ND (or was it SD?).

What do you know about that?

I've probably heard of it, but off the top of my head I'm not sure as to what it is. I believe there's a restaurant in Grand Forks that has Roger Maris' name in the name and there are quite a few sports memorabilia items in there, and there's a Roger Maris museum in Fargo, but the Dakotas are a bit bigger than the general preconceived notion so it's not something that comes up in idle conversation often.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)
I've probably heard of it, but off the top of my head I'm not sure as to what it is. I believe there's a restaurant in Grand Forks that has Roger Maris' name in the name and there are quite a few sports memorabilia items in there, and there's a Roger Maris museum in Fargo, but the Dakotas are a bit bigger than the general preconceived notion so it's not something that comes up in idle conversation often.

Ah ok, thanks anyways. Just thought I'd ask because I'm a heavy autograph collector which includes plenty of stuff from the 2005 team.

BTW- are you from Chicago or what?

any of you finance guys ever heard of a company called blue canyon partners? I have an interview w/ them next week for an econ research position. It's one of the first jobs I've gotten feedback from that seems legit.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 02:06 PM)
Ah ok, thanks anyways. Just thought I'd ask because I'm a heavy autograph collector which includes plenty of stuff from the 2005 team.

BTW- are you from Chicago or what?

Frank Thomas probably owns your soul and he assuredly owns my soul.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 01:29 PM)
Random question:

Why do coupon always state that the cash value is 1/100 of a cent?

Because they have to have a cash value or they are non-negotiable (cannot be redeemed for any value).

Goin into NYC tomorrow night for a friends bday party ($45 all you can drink top shelf liquor with the rooftop section reserved for us). I believe its in the Village (E. 29th St by Park ave). But im thinkin about hittin up the Bronx zoo in the afternoon. Ive gone into the city countless times and have never bothered checking it out. Anyone ever been to it?

QUOTE (SnB @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 09:14 AM)
1. both of us are currently working full time jobs, she just started her career as a nurse

2. yes

I for one say Congrats Steve!!!!

QUOTE (SnB @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 09:14 AM)

2. yes

I for one say Congrats Steve!!!!

This the same girl I met a couple years back when I stumbled into you in Tuscon.

QUOTE (SnB @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 06:25 PM)
any of you finance guys ever heard of a company called blue canyon partners? I have an interview w/ them next week for an econ research position. It's one of the first jobs I've gotten feedback from that seems legit.

I'm not familiar with them, but they aren't really in one of the finance spaces I've been working in. Looks like they do B2B strategic consulting - not really finance per se, though finance and econ will undoubtedly be part of the picture.

With consulting firms in general, a few things to look for, to give you an idea of how good a place it may be to work...

--Client list

--Typical work/travel schedule for their consultants - burnout? Long hours?

--How is their partnership or ownership arranged?