Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 02:53 PM)
Goin into NYC tomorrow night for a friends bday party ($45 all you can drink top shelf liquor with the rooftop section reserved for us). I believe its in the Village (E. 29th St by Park ave). But im thinkin about hittin up the Bronx zoo in the afternoon. Ive gone into the city countless times and have never bothered checking it out. Anyone ever been to it?

Too late now, but yeah I was there about a month ago. It was pretty good, the Polar Bear was probably the best thing I saw on the day. Takes about 45 mins to get up there from Manhattan though.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 10:15 AM)
I want to go back and watch the whole show, but Norm MacDonald's bit during the Bob Saget roast was the least funniest thing I think I have ever seen. I have seen trainwrecks that were funnier than that.

Yes.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 11:15 AM)
I want to go back and watch the whole show, but Norm MacDonald's bit during the Bob Saget roast was the least funniest thing I think I have ever seen. I have seen trainwrecks that were funnier than that.

I like Norm MacDonald, so I disagree. I believe he was intentionally telling awful jokes in such a deadpan, sarcastic tone that he pushed you to the point of having to laugh at how bad it was. It seemed like a mockery of what made him so great on Weekend Update. He was given terrible jokes to work with back then, but told them anyway and mocked them in doing so. It's probably a very acquired taste.

Gilbert Gottfried was, by far, the funniest up there, though. So, if you have any proof that BOB SAGET RAPED AND KILLED A GIRL IN 1990, stop gossiping and go to the police.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 03:13 PM)
Yeah, Norm had to do that on purpose. I thought Cloris Leachman was surprisingly funny.

I would have liked to hear the part of Gilbert's joke that they totally cut out.

I don't know if it could be more obvious that it was on purpose. He was telling jokes that you'd hear in first grade or the early 1900's.

I wonder if Cloris Leachman actually wrote her own stuff, though.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 02:26 PM)
I don't know if it could be more obvious that it was on purpose. He was telling jokes that you'd hear in first grade or the early 1900's.

I wonder if Cloris Leachman actually wrote her own stuff, though.

That must have been some kind of inside joke between Norm and Bob, or Norm and the other comics.

If it wasn't, then Norm completely mailed it in.

Either way, he sucked the funny right out of the room.

It was painful to watch. I didn't laugh once.

Then Jeff Garlin came up and failed at his routine, too, and he was clearly trying to be funny.

Cloris was great, no matter who wrote her jokes. Her delivery was spot-on.

My favorite joke of hers (trying to repeat it as best I can, but the gist is there):

"Would someone please punch me in the face so I can see some stars?"

:lol: :lol:

QUOTE (The Critic @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 05:03 PM)
That must have been some kind of inside joke between Norm and Bob, or Norm and the other comics.

If it wasn't, then Norm completely mailed it in.

Either way, he sucked the funny right out of the room.

It was painful to watch. I didn't laugh once.

Then Jeff Garlin came up and failed at his routine, too, and he was clearly trying to be funny.

Cloris was great, no matter who wrote her jokes. Her delivery was spot-on.

My favorite joke of hers (trying to repeat it as best I can, but the gist is there):

"Would someone please punch me in the face so I can see some stars?"

:lol: :lol:

The other comedians seemed to enjoy it. I'm looking around the internet, and it seems people are taking polar opposite stances on that routine. People like me, who thought it was hilarious/original, and people that think it was pathetic.

I just got back from a weekend in Bar Harbor, Maine. We stayed at a B&B. I had no internet, TV or daily paper from Friday until tonight. As strange as it was to be so out of touch, it was really nice. Never missed it.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 09:03 PM)
So I'm going to college in a few hours. Yeah. Odd.

Well, enjoy yourself. It's gonna be a hell of a fun time...

(I'm assuming you're a freshman, though I guess you could just be going back to school)

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 10:03 PM)
So I'm going to college in a few hours. Yeah. Odd.

I miss college. I may go up to visit for a night during rush in a couple weeks, but i definitely miss the whole no responsibility, do whatever you want when you want, drink 5 nights a week atmosphere that college was haha

With the Bob Saget roast, the funniest guy was the one who said he wouldn't swear because cheap laughs through dirty language is how Bob got so popular. Can't remember who that guy was though, but his best joke was "in honor of George Carlin, here are seven words you'll never hear on television. And the emmy goes to....Bob Saget".

Also, I have a big time guilty pleasure: "Paper Planes" by M.I.A. That song is as outstanding as it is weird.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 02:56 PM)
With the Bob Saget roast, the funniest guy was the one who said he wouldn't swear because cheap laughs through dirty language is how Bob got so popular. Can't remember who that guy was though, but his best joke was "in honor of George Carlin, here are seven words you'll never hear on television. And the emmy goes to....Bob Saget".

Also, I have a big time guilty pleasure: "Paper Planes" by M.I.A. That song is as outstanding as it is weird.

Jeffrey Ross

So they re-ran the roast last night, and it really wasn't nearly as good as years past. Cloris Leachman was BY FAR the funniest person on there. There were some funny moments, but not nearly as good as some of the past ones. Mostly they just didn't have very good roasters. It was the lamest collection yet. Go back and look who has been there in the past, its not even close.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comedy_Central_Roast

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 07:33 AM)
So they re-ran the roast last night, and it really wasn't nearly as good as years past. Cloris Leachman was BY FAR the funniest person on there. There were some funny moments, but not nearly as good as some of the past ones. Mostly they just didn't have very good roasters. It was the lamest collection yet. Go back and look who has been there in the past, its not even close.

"That's what you get when you book a dais off Craigslist" - Jeff Ross

f***, I just ate s*** skateboarding down a hill. HIt a f***ing rock, lost control, whacked the f*** out of my head and destroyed my back and knee. Some blood (From the scrapes) and my knee has already swelled like s***. Bright side is I can move everything and I didn't black out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 06:33 AM)

That was pretty good from the roast ..

anyways lets see who replies to this. I have an essay to do(pretty short) and one of the options is what is the greatest challenge your(my) generation will face?

What would anyone here say, Global Warming, Economy, Social Security? would those be safe bets.

The other part of the question is what is your ideas for dealing with the issue, i have no clue what to put for that.

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 08:06 PM)
That was pretty good from the roast ..

anyways lets see who replies to this. I have an essay to do(pretty short) and one of the options is what is the greatest challenge your(my) generation will face?

What would anyone here say, Global Warming, Economy, Social Security? would those be safe bets.

The other part of the question is what is your ideas for dealing with the issue, i have no clue what to put for that.

The polarization of everything. never seems to be a middle gorund anymore, in poitics, fandom, whatever. As for what to do, U have no idea.