Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So not a good week for dogs, I guess. The dog of one of the guys I live with got hit by a car and died this morning. Hit and run so we don't know who did it. But, I've known that dog since my friend got him and not even 24 hours ago I was playing with him. Just doesn't feel right. He wasn't even 3 yet... I know he's not even my own dog, but I was still pretty attached having taken part in caring for him the last 2 years. I loved that dog. My favorite memories of him are when I'd be sitting in my room and my door would open, but instead of seeing someone walk in, I'd see a little dog head poke around to look in my room and then walk out, lol. It always caught me off-guard, even though he did it all the time.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 05:03 AM)
So not a good week for dogs, I guess. The dog of one of the guys I live with got hit by a car and died this morning. Hit and run so we don't know who did it. But, I've known that dog since my friend got him and not even 24 hours ago I was playing with him. Just doesn't feel right. He wasn't even 3 yet... I know he's not even my own dog, but I was still pretty attached having taken part in caring for him the last 2 years. I loved that dog. My favorite memories of him are when I'd be sitting in my room and my door would open, but instead of seeing someone walk in, I'd see a little dog head poke around to look in my room and then walk out, lol. It always caught me off-guard, even though he did it all the time.

That happened to my roomates dog in college, he was 9 months old and when my girlfriend(now wife) walked in the front door he bulled his way outside and made a B-line for the road because another dog across the street was barking. Unfortunately my wife had to watch what happened and she was pretty messed up for a while

A friend and i were talking about the good ol' college days the other day and i realized how much i miss LaRoma's Pizza and

Booby's sandwiches. (If you go to SIU, you know what I'm talking about) and a toasted bagel with apple slices, cinnamon and cream cheese were good too.

:wub:

QUOTE (juddling @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 08:34 AM)
A friend and i were talking about the good ol' college days the other day and i realized how much i miss LaRoma's Pizza and

Booby's sandwiches. (If you go to SIU, you know what I'm talking about) and a toasted bagel with apple slices, cinnamon and cream cheese were good too.

:wub:

LaRomas is long gone, last time I was in Carbondale it was replaced by some youth ministry. I miss LaRomas too, during the 2000 Halloween riots I camped out in their little beer garden and watched the chaos with 3 dollar 32 oz beers all night. Then I got a drinking ticket for being dumb :(

Winstons Bagels is awesome. I am pretty sure Winston passed away in the past year, sadly.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 09:44 AM)
Yeah, LaRomas had the cheapest beer in town, but it closed. Sadly, Winston has passed. Mugsy's and Murphy's are closed too.

In the past 15 years, I would say Winston lived it up. I used to see him tearing around on his motorcycles, having a good time, we always used to see him out.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 03:50 PM)
LaRomas is long gone, last time I was in Carbondale it was replaced by some youth ministry. I miss LaRomas too, during the 2000 Halloween riots I camped out in their little beer garden and watched the chaos with 3 dollar 32 oz beers all night. Then I got a drinking ticket for being dumb :(

Winstons Bagels is awesome. I am pretty sure Winston passed away in the past year, sadly.

R.I.P Winston and LaRoma's I havne't been back down there in at least 10 years. Last itme i was there it was summer time and i couldn't believe that Sidetracks had tables set up on their sand volleyball court. i said "WTF!!!!" I spent whole summers playing ball there and managed to win a league or two there as well. SIGH!!! I miss the good ol' days

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 10:36 AM)
Have any you current or recent Salukis ever seen a group called the Ivas John Band? They play at the Key West Lounge on most Sunday nights.

Ha! A really good friend of mine and Leonard Zelig owns that place now. I havent heard them though.

Hey juddling, if you were mad about the tables on the sand volleyball court, then you will be really pissed when you see it now. Its all paved over in concrete with a stage in the backside

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 05:38 PM)
Ha! A really good friend of mine and Leonard Zelig owns that place now. I havent heard them though.

Hey juddling, if you were mad about the tables on the sand volleyball court, then you will be really pissed when you see it now. Its all paved over in concrete with a stage in the backside

I'm not too surprised i guess...when the vollyball courts were full we weren't drinking alot. None of us back then did when we played. i guess if they get a band back there then there would be alot more drinking. man....time sucks...lol. What bars are even around there anymore. I remember the Tap, T-Birds,Frankies, Stix, Sidetracks, Pinch Penny....not that i went to all of these places. Though did get thrown out of the Tap my only time there.

QUOTE (juddling @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 11:13 AM)
I'm not too surprised i guess...when the vollyball courts were full we weren't drinking alot. None of us back then did when we played. i guess if they get a band back there then there would be alot more drinking. man....time sucks...lol. What bars are even around there anymore. I remember the Tap, T-Birds,Frankies, Stix, Sidetracks, Pinch Penny....not that i went to all of these places. Though did get thrown out of the Tap my only time there.

Only ones remaining

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 11:12 AM)
WHAT??????? He wasn't that old, was he.

He had to be in his mid-late 60s when I left, at the very least.

Edited by kyyle23

My wife LOVED Tres....i thought the food was pretty good too. I can't believe T-birds is gone. Man...i thought that hole would live forever.

I forgot about the Hangar but then i don't think i ever went in the place. Gatsby's was a waste of space..i never like that place though one of my friends had one of the funniest drunken moments ever in that bar.

Edited by juddling

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 10:38 AM)

You can tell your friend and Leonard that I have been a fairly regular customer there lately, even though I live 80 miles from Cdale.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 11:45 AM)
You can tell your friend and Leonard that I have been a fairly regular customer there lately, even though I live 80 miles from Cdale.

If you see a guy running the bar named Jeff Formentini, thats the guy we know. He used to be my manager at Quatros, now he owns Key West

I wouldnt mention me or Leonard, he might kick you out ;)

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)
On that list, but Hangar, PKs, Booby's, Tres, and the Cellar are still open too. I think Gatsby's is still there.

I was told Gatsbys is gone

Edited by kyyle23

Didn't realize there were so many Salukis here.

I spent 3 years in Cdale (getting an MBA) in the late 80's.

Not sure how I would have gotten through graduate school without Tres Hombres.

They used to have a thing called the International Beer Club. Once you drank all 50 different international beers they carried, you'd get your name on a plaque on the wall. It was an elite group. I was very proud when I accomplished that. :P

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 12:09 PM)
Didn't realize there were so many Salukis here.

I spent 3 years in Cdale (getting an MBA) in the late 80's.

Not sure how I would have gotten through graduate school without Tres Hombres.

They used to have a thing called the International Beer Club. Once you drank all 50 different international beers they carried, you'd get your name on a plaque on the wall. It was an elite group. I was very proud when I accomplished that. :P

Pinch Penny has beerfest every september, thats the closest I can think to the Intl Beer Club.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 01:27 PM)
Pinch Penny has beerfest every september, thats the closest I can think to the Intl Beer Club.

Loved Pinch. Walking distance from my place, but what place isn't down there. That and the Cellar were my type of places. Nice and quiet.