Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 01:39 AM)
I am aware, but last winter was horrific and this year isn't starting any better (in fact, it's starting worse). Obviously these could be freak events not indicitive of nation and worldwide trends, and obviously I don't just flat out believe global warming is BS (I'm a skeptic of if it's nearly as bad as people say, but only an idiot would deny the evidence that something is going on), but I find events such as recent ones strange considering what I always hear about warming patterns.

In truth, "global disruption" or "global climate change" would be more accurate descriptors than the more popular and myopic "global warming". Temperature is only one aspect of the anthropogenic disruptions, and it is not changing uniformly across the entire planet. Other parameters like wind patterns, ocean currents, ocean acidification, torm patterns, snow packs and snowmelt, flooding and drought cycles are among those that are also prone to perturbation and should be included in the dialog.

That said, no single really cold or really warm season can be comfortably attributed to man-made global disruption. On the other hand, a decade or so of significant trending in one direction or another is the sort of thing that should put us on notice.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 01:39 AM)
I am aware, but last winter was horrific and this year isn't starting any better (in fact, it's starting worse). Obviously these could be freak events not indicitive of nation and worldwide trends, and obviously I don't just flat out believe global warming is BS (I'm a skeptic of if it's nearly as bad as people say, but only an idiot would deny the evidence that something is going on), but I find events such as recent ones strange considering what I always hear about warming patterns.

I'm no scientist, but global warming's effects are linked to glacial melt which slow the ocean conveyor which moves warm tropical water to the north. This causes cooling the north, warming in the south. This actually causes extreme weather both in the summer and winter. One snow storm does not negate decades of warming.

I'm sure there's a thread on this in the Buster.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 08:01 AM)
7-10 inches more of snow today, plus 1/2" of ice.

Anyone who likes winter should die a slow, painful death.

Last week we had that east coast ice storm. People are still without power. I really hope that doesn't happen in Chicago.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 07:01 AM)
Anyone who likes winter should die a slow, painful death.

I love winter. The beaches are almost empty. A long sleeve shirt and pants feels good. Maybe even put some socks on and leave the flip flops at home. Turn off the air conditioner and leave the windows open. Yes sir, winter is the most wonderful time of the year. Too bad it only last a couple months then back to summer.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 08:08 AM)
I love winter. The beaches are almost empty. A long sleeve shirt and pants feels good. Maybe even put some socks on and leave the flip flops at home. Turn off the air conditioner and leave the windows open. Yes sir, winter is the most wonderful time of the year. Too bad it only last a couple months then back to summer.

With all the respect in the world, f*** off. :)

Remember way back when I got in the car wreck,well my car is still in the shop and my insurance company stopped paying for my rental. So I returned the rental and now Iam driving my grandfathers minivan from 1987,how much fun its been driving this thing through the snow. God I hope they pick up the pace fixing my car.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 08:29 AM)
Remember way back when I got in the car wreck,well my car is still in the shop and my insurance company stopped paying for my rental. So I returned the rental and now Iam driving my grandfathers minivan from 1987,how much fun its been driving this thing through the snow. God I hope they pick up the pace fixing my car.

Shouldnt the other guys insurance pay for the rental?

Was the accident your fault?(I cant remember)

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 08:52 AM)
Shouldnt the other guys insurance pay for the rental?

Was the accident your fault?(I cant remember)

The other guy fled the scene,still havent found out if they got him. My insurance went about it as if it was my fault even though it wasnt just because they werent going to wait to get the other guy to start fixing my car. I hope they find him but I highly doubt he has insurance since he ran off after the accident.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 08:57 AM)
The other guy fled the scene,still havent found out if they got him. My insurance went about it as if it was my fault even though it wasnt just because they werent going to wait to get the other guy to start fixing my car. I hope they find him but I highly doubt he has insurance since he ran off after the accident.

That really stinks, sorry to hear that he wasnt caught.

Hopefully your grandfathers trusty steed is enough. Is it the classic Silver Caravan?

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 09:04 AM)
That really stinks, sorry to hear that he wasnt caught.

Hopefully your grandfathers trusty steed is enough. Is it the classic Silver Caravan?

Its a light brown Chrysler with a turbo engine,believe it or not.

Those winter colds are coming back to fruition, seems like almost everyone on my floor is either coughing or sneezing.

Still when I saw it was 26 in Chicago today, wasn't exactly complaining about the weather over here today.

We were kinda joking around at work a few minutes ago, I was talking to the senior analyst about baseballs hitting you and how it hurts - she brought up softball, I said "softball's easy though." So she replies "well, the balls are bigger, and they come faster..." I dunno why she said they come faster, but there was an awkward silence while the branch chief stopped to avoid spitting his Sprite out, and I'm like uhh... say that again in your head and tell me how it sounds...

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 12:47 PM)
Those winter colds are coming back to fruition, seems like almost everyone on my floor is either coughing or sneezing.

Still when I saw it was 26 in Chicago today, wasn't exactly complaining about the weather over here today.

Explain several things to me, since I notice you're living in America and had not been notified. I have never heard this discussion if it happened, which I'm sure it did but I ignored since it was probably in a thread with a boring title; and everyone knows I only respond to threads with catchy slogans or puns.

Two questions:

1. Why are you in the US?

2. Why of all places are you in Newport NJ? It just seems like an extremely random place for someone halfway across the world to travel to.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Thundersnow is a thunderstorm that spits out snow, with lightning and the bit. I'm guessing thundersleet is up the same alley. No lightning here, yet...it started off freezing rain, then sleet, then snow, now I can hear it sleeting and see it snow.