Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 11:41 PM)
Well the snow started to fall here at about 11pm, it's accumulating rather quick like and the flakes about the size of sand-dollars.

Its coming down in the city now at that fast pace too, and I saw a flash of lightning I think. Thundersnow starting. At least its snow, which is better than sleet/freezing rain/ice that is still a threat. Snow is less dangerous.

Going to be an interesting Friday AM commute for some. Luckily I'm off this week and sitting at home.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 12:46 AM)
Its coming down in the city now at that fast pace too, and I saw a flash of lightning I think. Thundersnow starting. At least its snow, which is better than sleet/freezing rain/ice that is still a threat. Snow is less dangerous.

Going to be an interesting Friday AM commute for some. Luckily I'm off this week and sitting at home.

I'm getting the icy rain now. I hope my car door opens.

I'll be heading out in about 20 minutes. I had yesterday off, but I have to work today.

Obviously my vacation day timing was bad. My wife and I did get the bulk of the Christmas shopping done, though - doubt I would have wanted to head out to the stores today.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 06:46 PM)
Explain several things to me, since I notice you're living in America and had not been notified. I have never heard this discussion if it happened, which I'm sure it did but I ignored since it was probably in a thread with a boring title; and everyone knows I only respond to threads with catchy slogans or puns.

Two questions:

1. Why are you in the US?

2. Why of all places are you in Newport NJ? It just seems like an extremely random place for someone halfway across the world to travel to.

1. Working in the finance industry on a 12 motnh visa. I get kicked out of the country in mid May.

2. It's part of a program, I get free accomodation in Newport. Albeit, I wouldn't recommend ANYONE live there, it's quite depressing, but at elast it's only a 10 min train ride into Manhattan.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 10:14 AM)
Ah, so you're the reason our economy took a nosedive. :ph34r:

Went back home for a wedding in October, and of course the Groom's father says in his speech that I "f##ked up the economy. :headbang

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 04:32 PM)
Heh, 11 cars in the ditch within the first 15 miles north of Ames on I35.

Thank God I didn't drive to Iowa yesterday afterall. Ick.

Also, I am baking bread and it smells delicious. Will start making lasagna soon.

High of -2 today.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around -10. Wind chill values as low as -29. West wind between 6 and 14 mph.

Monday: Sunny and cold, with a high near 4. Wind chill values as low as -22. West wind at 7 mph becoming south.

Monday Night: Snow, mainly after midnight. Low around 3. Wind chill values as low as -16. South wind between 8 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Tuesday: Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 21. Wind chill values as low as -12. South wind between 13 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Gotta love Iowa.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 08:17 PM)
High of -2 today.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around -10. Wind chill values as low as -29. West wind between 6 and 14 mph.

Monday: Sunny and cold, with a high near 4. Wind chill values as low as -22. West wind at 7 mph becoming south.

Monday Night: Snow, mainly after midnight. Low around 3. Wind chill values as low as -16. South wind between 8 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Tuesday: Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 21. Wind chill values as low as -12. South wind between 13 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Gotta love Iowa.

I was living in Ames in the early 90's when they had the worst winter cold snap on record. I don't remember which year, but, Des Moines and Ames went over a WEEK without the temperature getting above zero. Either Ames or DSM set their all time record low that week, or maybe both I don't recall - something like -32. That ws the air temperature, not the wind chill.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 09:17 PM)
High of -2 today.

Gotta love Iowa.

Overnight

Snow showers. Blowing snow. Snow may be heavy at times. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches. Windy. Lows zero to 5 above. Temperature steady or slowly rising after midnight. West winds 20 to 30 mph. Wind chills 12 below to 22 below zero.

Monday

Areas of blowing snow in the morning. Cloudy with snow showers in the morning...then partly sunny with chance of snow showers in the afternoon. Snow may be heavy at times in the morning. Snow accumulation 1 to 3 inches. Total snow accumulation 4 to 8 inches. Highs 10 to 15. West winds 15 to 20 mph decreasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Wind chills 2 below to 12 below zero.

Monday Night

Partly cloudy. Lows near zero. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Wind chills 10 below to 20 below zero.

Tuesday

Snow likely. Light snow accumulations. Highs in the upper 20s. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 70 percent. Wind chills 14 below to 24 below zero in the morning.

Tuesday Night

Snow likely. Light snow accumulations. Lows in the upper 20s. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Join the club. Welcome to Michigan Lake Effect snow plus the Iowa cold.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 09:20 PM)
Overnight

Snow showers. Blowing snow. Snow may be heavy at times. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches. Windy. Lows zero to 5 above. Temperature steady or slowly rising after midnight. West winds 20 to 30 mph. Wind chills 12 below to 22 below zero.

Monday

Areas of blowing snow in the morning. Cloudy with snow showers in the morning...then partly sunny with chance of snow showers in the afternoon. Snow may be heavy at times in the morning. Snow accumulation 1 to 3 inches. Total snow accumulation 4 to 8 inches. Highs 10 to 15. West winds 15 to 20 mph decreasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Wind chills 2 below to 12 below zero.

Monday Night

Partly cloudy. Lows near zero. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Wind chills 10 below to 20 below zero.

Tuesday

Snow likely. Light snow accumulations. Highs in the upper 20s. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 70 percent. Wind chills 14 below to 24 below zero in the morning.

Tuesday Night

Snow likely. Light snow accumulations. Lows in the upper 20s. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Join the club. Welcome to Michigan Lake Effect snow plus the Iowa cold.

Unless I plan on traveling, I'd much prefer snow and reasonable temperatures than pure, bitter cold. It's -21.5 right now here (thankfully I don't live in a tent or anything), and the forecast high for the next 3 days is like 3, 7, and 4.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 08:59 AM)
I walked into a "2 days left!" Circuit City on Saturday at Rand and Arlington Heights Road.

It was pathetic in there, its real strange to see a store stripped down to nothing and selling everything that is seen

I never had a pleasant shopping experience at a Circuit City.

Bad layout, disinterested staff, insufficient stock of sale items.

It's no wonder they got thoroughly thrashed by Best Buy.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 09:55 AM)
I never had a pleasant shopping experience at a Circuit City.

Bad layout, disinterested staff, insufficient stock of sale items.

It's no wonder they got thoroughly thrashed by Best Buy.

Im wondering who is going to rise up to challenge Best Buy in the next year or so. Fry's? Radioshack? Nobody?

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 11:00 AM)
Im wondering who is going to rise up to challenge Best Buy in the next year or so. Fry's? Radioshack? Nobody?

It's going to be an uphill battle for anyone.

Best Buy is so entrenched right now, they'd have to f*** up bigtime to lose their advantage.