Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 10:00 AM)
Im wondering who is going to rise up to challenge Best Buy in the next year or so. Fry's? Radioshack? Nobody?

In the next few years? No one. Consumer spending is crashing, and the firms in this business are going to be killed.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 11:19 AM)
In the next few years? No one. Consumer spending is crashing, and the firms in this business are going to be killed.

Sometimes I wonder what the hell ARE consumers spending their money on? Everyone just isn't keeping it under a mattress. There has to be some companies thriving, because I sure as hell see alot of cars on the road and they're all going somewhere.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 03:08 PM)
Sometimes I wonder what the hell ARE consumers spending their money on? Everyone just isn't keeping it under a mattress. There has to be some companies thriving, because I sure as hell see alot of cars on the road and they're all going somewhere.

That.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 03:13 PM)
Bills, mortgages, petrol, putting food on the table etc. I guess.

He was commenting on the flood of people at the malls, I believe. You can't get a damn parking spot.

What I think we're seeing here is something that had to happen, regardless. Every idiot out there had 6 credit cards that were maxed and were still buying flat screen tv's. People's shopping had become as gluttonous as their eating habits. It had to happen. Now, when we're having a fine shopping time at Christmas it's not enough, because corporations had gotten used to the insanity that was the last ten years.

'bout damn time. The levy finally broke, that's all it is.

/the obvious

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 04:25 PM)
He was commenting on the flood of people at the malls, I believe. You can't get a damn parking spot.

What I think we're seeing here is something that had to happen, regardless. Every idiot out there had 6 credit cards that were maxed and were still buying flat screen tv's. People's shopping had become as gluttonous as their eating habits. It had to happen. Now, when we're having a fine shopping time at Christmas it's not enough, because corporations had gotten used to the insanity that was the last ten years.

'bout damn time. The levy finally broke, that's all it is.

/the obvious

Oh.

Well I guess when people are getting laid off, unemployment is rising etc., and the economy going down the toilet, people just have less money to spend, and that they don't want to spend as much as they used to.

But you make a good point.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)
Oh.

Well I guess when people are getting laid off, unemployment is rising etc., and the economy going down the toilet, people just have less money to spend, and that they don't want to spend as much as they used to.

But you make a good point.

Hence "the obvious". Yours falls under mine falls under obvious.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 05:00 PM)
People in Seattle are trippin about the snow they got. It doesn't snow there?? They get tons of rain, doesn't it turn to snow in winter???

I know... I would have thought it snows there, but one of the guys I live with is from Seattle (he's there right now), and he was crazy excited about the snow. Said it never snows.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 08:00 AM)
Im wondering who is going to rise up to challenge Best Buy in the next year or so. Fry's? Radioshack? Nobody?

I wasted about 2 hours in Fry's trying to buy a digital camera when they couldn't figure out how to use their computer system. I was there because I was on vacation and they were the closest stop. The next day I drove a half hour to the nearest bestbuy.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 02:11 PM)
I know... I would have thought it snows there, but one of the guys I live with is from Seattle (he's there right now), and he was crazy excited about the snow. Said it never snows.

The Pacific ocean along the western U.S. tends to act as something of a buffer. It brings a lot of moisture with it, but the current that flows down from Alaska keeps many of the cities between the ocean and the mountain ranges perched a little too warm for snow.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 04:35 PM)
The Pacific ocean along the western U.S. tends to act as something of a buffer. It brings a lot of moisture with it, but the current that flows down from Alaska keeps many of the cities between the ocean and the mountain ranges perched a little too warm for snow.

Crazy. So how cold does it get there in winter??

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 03:06 PM)
Crazy. So how cold does it get there in winter??

There's been 1 time since I've been here that it actually frosted over during the night, but then again I'm up about 900 feet above sea level and tucked in between 2 mountain ranges.. Typically though the Pacific wind patterns will perch temperatures here (and for that matter, in San Francisco, where I was last week) at about 35-40 degrees and up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 06:22 PM)
There's been 1 time since I've been here that it actually frosted over during the night, but then again I'm up about 900 feet above sea level and tucked in between 2 mountain ranges.. Typically though the Pacific wind patterns will perch temperatures here (and for that matter, in San Francisco, where I was last week) at about 35-40 degrees and up.

You're in Pasadena? I was asking about Seattle.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 03:08 PM)

I'm spending my money on comics. Isn't that what everybody spends their money on??? :unsure:

Pull list:

Captain America

Amazing Spider-Man

Daredevil

Moon Knight

Deadpool

The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz (mini)

Iron Man: Director Of Shield

The Invincible Iron Man

Flash Gordon

The Walking Dead

Batman: Gotham After Midnight (mini)

Then there are the ones I pick up off and on. But those are the mainstays. Was doing the Marvel mini-series Secret Invasion and New Avengers and Mighty Avengers also. But S.I. finally ended and I am not overly interested in the direction of the Avengers titles right now.