Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 08:32 PM)
Ah, I have ones from the 70s-80s-90s.

I'm slowly getting to those. I was in and out of comics my whole life, but oddly enough I don't think my love for them has ever been as strong as they are now. I'm friggin' 38 for crying out loud and am now REALLY into them.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 05:35 PM)
The Pacific ocean along the western U.S. tends to act as something of a buffer. It brings a lot of moisture with it, but the current that flows down from Alaska keeps many of the cities between the ocean and the mountain ranges perched a little too warm for snow.

Balta's scientific knowledge > our scientific knowledge

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 05:22 PM)
There's been 1 time since I've been here that it actually frosted over during the night, but then again I'm up about 900 feet above sea level and tucked in between 2 mountain ranges.. Typically though the Pacific wind patterns will perch temperatures here (and for that matter, in San Francisco, where I was last week) at about 35-40 degrees and up.

Which is particularly interesting when you consider that the high country of the Olympics and Ranier and what not get hundreds of inches of snow a year, and have glaciers - and are, what, 30 miles from Seattle? Altitude, wind, oceanic effects, geology all conspiring in weirdness.

That's why I love the mountains of the American west. You can get such a wide variety of weather, plant and and animal life, etc. in such a short distance.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 08:02 PM)
New or older...both?

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 08:32 PM)
Ah, I have ones from the 70s-80s-90s.

My parents have 7 comic book boxes full of nothing but 10 and 12 cent comics, not to mention an additional 15 boxes which all have a cover price more than of more than 12 cents. Goldmine

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE (qwerty @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 06:02 PM)
My parents have 7 comic book boxes full of nothing but 10 and 12 cent comics, not to mention an additional 15 boxes which all have a cover price more than of more than 12 cents. Goldmine

Um, I'll offer you like a whole $20 for them... :unsure:

I'm sure that they're just filling up space that they need for other things.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 05:10 PM)
Um, I'll offer you like a whole $20 for them... :unsure:

I'm sure that they're just filling up space that they need for other things.

Pshaw! Don't listen to Knight, he's trying to rip you off! I'll give you $50!!! They might not be worth that much, but for your effort I am willing to help you out.

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Dec 24, 2008 -> 10:06 AM)
It sure is pretty to look at. But the second any form of physical activity gets involved, it sucks.

Speaking of no physical activity...

I may have some "reader" comics if you're interested.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 24, 2008 -> 10:55 AM)
Well, you COULD surf off a beach on LI or the Jersey Shore. But you'd better wear your dry suit.

Unfortunately I didn't exactly have room to pack that in my bag. :lol:

At least the weather's actually not going to be too bad over here tomorrow.

Monday was definitely the coldest since I've been here in the States.

Jesus, the amount of black ice around the south suburbs is the worst I've ever experienced. Here in Palos, literally, my whole entire subdivision is black ice. I stepped out of my buddies car fifteen minutes ago and immediately slipped on my back. And then when I thought about jumping in the snow to avoid the driveway I slipped on the sheet of ice covering that too. The morning commute is going to be horrendous if these conditions hold up.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Dec 26, 2008 -> 05:03 AM)
Jesus, the amount of black ice around the south suburbs is the worst I've ever experienced. Here in Palos, literally, my whole entire subdivision is black ice. I stepped out of my buddies car fifteen minutes ago and immediately slipped on my back. And then when I thought about jumping in the snow to avoid the driveway I slipped on the sheet of ice covering that too. The morning commute is going to be horrendous if these conditions hold up.

The roads from my house to Midway Airport were completely iced over. I saw a couple cars spinning in circles behind me.

I was lucky to be able to correct out of spins when I felt them happening.

I took it nice and slow and got to the Park & Ride safely.

I just heard on the radio that all roads in Lemont have been closed, and there was a 5-car crash on the Kennedy.

People, DO NOT drive unless it's absolutely necessary this morning.

Holeeey s***, is it icy out there.

I called in to work after I tried to make it this morning and saw the salt trucks sliding sideways on the road.

I'll echo the bad road talk from this morning. I was supposed to go to Mommence this Am, left about 8 AM. The roads weren't too bad, got onto I-55, and then sat there for abit in the right lane. Switched lanes and traffic was moving fairly well, roads not bad. but the on and off ramps from I-55 to I-80 were so icy that the salt trucks couldn't even get on them, they had guys on foot spreading salt. I decided i was just going to go back, but the next 3 exit ramps were the same, I went to the Wilmington exit, which seemed ok, went to turn around, and there was a truck blocking the entrance ramp! Forward ho! Went down the road, which i found was a solid sheet of ice, and proceeded to slide and idle my way to Rt. 53. The 4 miles from I-55 to Rt. 53 too 90 minutes. Once to Rt. 53, made it back to Joliet pretty fast. So, be carefull out there people! Especially if going into the country or Indiana.

I was on my way back from Gurnee this morning to Palos Park. My dad calls and tells me I can't come home because 5 cars are stuck on the road and it's impassible. I had to wait it out at my sister-in-law's house in Lisle where the entire subdivision was a sheet of ice and I had to "skate" up their driveway.