Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 30, 2008 -> 03:06 PM)
Once you figure that place out, its really hard to leave. Have you hit the wine trails yet?

Yeup. Few months ago for the first time. My friends family was in town so her dad just bought me everything so it was pretty f***in sweet.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 30, 2008 -> 03:08 PM)
Yeup. Few months ago for the first time. My friends family was in town so her dad just bought me everything so it was pretty f***in sweet.

Some of those sunsets out on the vineyards were some of the coolest nights I had out there.

And when me and friends would go get lost in the backwoods. One night we drove up on a cemetary waaaaaaay out in the middle of nowhere that had to have been over 100 years old.

Carbondale just does not feel like it's in Illinois at all. That's not a negative comment about it, but between the 5 and a half hours or so it is away from I-88 and the appearance of it to a degree and the weather and the feel of the town even, it just feels like it's part of the south (although geographically, it pretty much is). I have REALLY enjoyed my time whenever I was there, but it just seems like a different world despite being in the same state. Makes me realize how big Illinois is. I think I would love living there actually though, except for the fact it seems so damn isolated. Other than Marion, nothing at all is that nearby it seems like.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 30, 2008 -> 08:40 PM)
Carbondale just does not feel like it's in Illinois at all. That's not a negative comment about it, but between the 5 and a half hours or so it is away from I-88 and the appearance of it to a degree and the weather and the feel of the town even, it just feels like it's part of the south (although geographically, it pretty much is). I have REALLY enjoyed my time whenever I was there, but it just seems like a different world despite being in the same state. Makes me realize how big Illinois is. I think I would love living there actually though, except for the fact it seems so damn isolated. Other than Marion, nothing at all is that nearby it seems like.

If there was actual work there for anyone who isnt involved with the school, I would live there right now. But its crap jobs, and jobs with the school

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 30, 2008 -> 08:40 PM)

I have family down in southern Illinois, grew up there for part of my life, went to SIU. It's hilarious when people think that southern IL is the same as Georgia and Alabama, when it's not. I don't get it.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 30, 2008 -> 09:49 PM)
I have family down in southern Illinois, grew up there for part of my life, went to SIU. It's hilarious when people think that southern IL is the same as Georgia and Alabama, when it's not. I don't get it.

Well I didn't mean it's like the deep south, if I posted or implied that it's my bad (haven't slept much the last few days). I just mean it's distinctly different than the rest of Illinois, and has a somewhat southern feel to it in all aspects. I spent a few days in the deep south this week, I know that's a way different place than Carbondale/Marion is, but at the same time that part of the state is just a lot different than the rest of Illinois. I'm not saying that's a bad thing either, I've always had a good time whenever in Carbondale.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Has there been a huge crackdown on drunk driving back in Chicago, or is it just a California thing? Every other tv ad out here is about drunk driving, every other day the cops start randomly pulling people over for BS and the only thing they're looking for is drunk drivers. Tonight there was a DUI checkpoint near here which caused a 30 min traffic jam. There must have been 20 squad cars, 10 tow trucks, two TV cameras and a helicopter.

I seem to remember back home you'd damn near have to get into an accident to get cited for a DUI.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 12:49 AM)
Has there been a huge crackdown on drunk driving back in Chicago, or is it just a California thing? Every other tv ad out here is about drunk driving, every other day the cops start randomly pulling people over for BS and the only thing they're looking for is drunk drivers. Tonight there was a DUI checkpoint near here which caused a 30 min traffic jam. There must have been 20 squad cars, 10 tow trucks, two TV cameras and a helicopter.

I seem to remember back home you'd damn near have to get into an accident to get cited for a DUI.

They're really stepping it up here in Tennessee. All sorts of DUI ads on TV and the radio. Lots of checkpoints. I think it's just b/c its the Holiday season and they know a lot of people drink at holiday parties and the sort...

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 12:49 AM)

No, its huge here too. Repeat offenders have to buy the key breathalyzer now and penalties are doubling

They have the DUI commercials on the radio here, I dunno if they're across the country. I don't drink and drive (well technically I do as everyone does, I don't drive drunk, obviously) but the way they do the commercials really gets your attention. They start off sounding like a normal commercial, they'll be talking about a girl or guy with music playing in the background and it sounds upbeat then suddenly the music goes off and says something like "and later tonight, Julie will have her legs severed, a fractured skull, massive internal bleeding, and will die by morning. Will you be the one to kill Julie?" Pretty jarring.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 07:27 AM)
No, its huge here too. Repeat offenders have to buy the key breathalyzer now and penalties are doubling

In Illinois a single time offender will have to buy the key breathalyzer now. Its the strictest standard in the country.

Speaking of driving news, here is some of the lamest coverage in racing

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/danica-patri...for-speed-21584

From TMZ.COM:

Indy race car driver Danica Patrick has yet to learn that the funny little pedal on the left is the brake.

Cops confirm Patrick was busted earlier this month in Scottsdale, Ariz. for driving 54 in a 35 — 19 over the speed limit — which bested her last run-in with the fuzz where she was going 57 in a 40 — only 17 over.

Danica received a citation and is due in court at the beginning of January

Why do we care? A racecar driver, speeding? NO WAY!! And she isnt even speeding more than any of us do on a regular drive. GMAB

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 08:06 AM)
Speaking of driving news, here is some of the lamest coverage in racing

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/danica-patri...for-speed-21584

Why do we care? A racecar driver, speeding? NO WAY!! And she isnt even speeding more than any of us do on a regular drive. GMAB

I agree that it's not big news, but I can see the appeal for a newspaper/website to print a story about a race driver getting busted for speeding.

People shouldn't care, but that can be said for any and all celebrity news. No one should care, but many people do.

Yeah we've got those DUI ads coming on all the time too.

I love the cop's line of questioning;

"Excuse me Sir, have you been drinking tonight?"

I don't know if it's an American Thing or not, but back home, there's no way that a cop would call me "sir". If anything, it'd be the other way round.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 10:12 AM)
Yeah we've got those DUI ads coming on all the time too.

I love the cop's line of questioning;

"Excuse me Sir, have you been drinking tonight?"

I don't know if it's an American Thing or not, but back home, there's no way that a cop would call me "sir". If anything, it'd be the other way round.

It depends on the cop and how you act. Most of the time if you're cooperative and don't give them a hard time, they'll call you sir. It's just a basic respect thing. If I was a cop, I'd do it too. Some cops are just dicks in general though.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 09:16 AM)
It depends on the cop and how you act. Most of the time if you're cooperative and don't give them a hard time, they'll call you sir. It's just a basic respect thing. If I was a cop, I'd do it too. Some cops are just dicks in general though.

I always started with "sir", up until they decide to be an asshole. Then the greetings move progressively downhill.

Occasionally, they were assholes before I could even get a word in.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 10:38 AM)
I always started with "sir", up until they decide to be an asshole. Then the greetings move progressively downhill.

Occasionally, they were assholes before I could even get a word in.

You used to be a cop?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 11:55 AM)
Yup. I've mentioned in here before I think, or certainly hinted at it.

Oh, I guess I never caught that.

I think I've only ever directly mentioned what I do one time although I make references to it in the Buster a lot. It's not like a secret or anything, just not something I want to plaster all over a message board for random people to see.