White Sox Acquire Nick Swisher from Athletics

Steve9347

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 02:05 PM)
But could Paul Konerko, Joe Crede and prospects get that deal done?

Nah. Trust me, if we could land Bedard some how, I'd flip flop on this trade about as fast as anyone. Getting a guy like Bedard would make us legit contenders imo.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 11:47 AM)
It seems pretty clear to me that Fields is going to go for a young pitcher. I think that is the next move.

You could be onto something. Than again I could also see one of the Sox vets heading for some young pitching.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 11:47 AM)
A lot? Almost no publications picked the Sox to go post-season.

Now on here, I wasn't around, so I don't know. Were Soxtalkers saying the 2005 team was post-season bound?

I remember a lot of us were saying that if Garland/Garcia/Contreras pitch like they were capable that this team would be stellar. It turned out that all of those things happened and the Sox kicked butt. People were really in love with the 05 off-season (I know I was). The only potential knock was the fact that value wise the Sox got there asses handed to them in the Carlos Lee trade (but the extra money helped the SOx out big time).

QUOTE(R.J. @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 02:59 PM)
If this works out for us, that would be great, but I can't start getting too excited about this organization until we have a couple of building blocks for the future.

How about Swisher, Quentin, Fields, Richar and Danks? A player can be a building block for the future if he is in the Majors...he doesn't necessarily need to be in the minors. Outside of Swisher, these guys don't have a lot of pro experience but have shown some abilities at the Major league level so are more of a building block in my mind that a guy that hasn't really cracked the bigs yet.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 03:10 PM)
You could be onto something. Than again I could also see one of the Sox vets heading for some young pitching.

If not now then definately before the deadline to the contenders....that's one positive of holding on to guys like PK, Dye, etc...right now if the right deal doesn't come around.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 02:12 PM)
I remember a lot of us were saying that if Garland/Garcia/Contreras pitch like they were capable that this team would be stellar. It turned out that all of those things happened and the Sox kicked butt. People were really in love with the 05 off-season (I know I was). The only potential knock was the fact that value wise the Sox got there asses handed to them in the Carlos Lee trade (but the extra money helped the SOx out big time).

Yup. NSS, you should have been here, this place has never been happier. :lol:

Just an FYI, I called my buddy in SF (He's a die hard A's fan). He didn't hear about the deal yet. I told him and he was pissssssssssed. He loves Swisher and says that they better have gotten some "studs" in return. I chuckled and told him they were! lol

I always think its good to get another teams perspective. Like when we traded Jon G. and there were some UPSET fans but not as upset as the fans in LAA.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)
I'll ask again but does anyone know how good of a cf Swish is? I honestly don't recall see him playing center, so I'm very curious.

He has a strong arm and when he was coming up was 5 tool but with Kotsay in CF the A's shied away from using him in Cf when he first came up. I honestly couldn't tell you, but It will be probably somewhere in between Brian Anderson and Rob Mackowiak (basically he could be anywhere from one of the best to one of the worse, LOL).

QUOTE(yoyozuna @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 02:13 PM)
Just an FYI, I called my buddy in SF (He's a die hard A's fan). He didn't hear about the deal yet. I told him and he was pissssssssssed. He loves Swisher and says that they better have gotten some "studs" in return. I chuckled and told him they were! lol

I always think its good to get another teams perspective. Like when we traded Jon G. and there were some UPSET fans but not as upset as the fans in LAA.

I cheked out the A's boards and none of them are thrilled with this deal and all have great things to say about Swish.

Remember though, KW is gonna bring in some competition for the rotation. They have some money to spend and need to on 2 veteran pitchers who can compete for a rotation spot or be placed in the pen. Especially with Floyd's injury history, Contreras wear and tear, and Danks inability so far to throw 200+ innings, we need some veteran depth for insurance and to push the youngsters.

I like Swisher and all, but I don't see how this move makes us contenders for next season. Our rotation still blows, and our bullpen has added overrated s*** face Linebrink. big whoop. We get another power hitter who at least knows how to take a walk, but we completely destroyed our farm system. If we don't make the playoffs next year, Kenny Williams must be fired, because he f***ed this team up big time for the long term.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 08:07 PM)
And Gio/Sweeney/DSL were going to be the answer? Sweeney is still suspect and the Sox actually got value for him (I should note, if I were an opposing GM I'd have traded for Ryan cause I think he'd be a steal in the sense that you buy low and it could really pay off in the long term). What I'm saying is the Sox are now in a better spot to contend in 09. I honestly think that quietly Kenny is turning his attention to getting as many quality guys he can for 2009 and hoping maybe things work out perfectly in 08 but if it doesn't you'll see him making tons of moves at the deadline to try to get things in place for 09.

Hell have you seen me call the Sox a contender in this thread? I've only said they could maybe slug there way, hoping that the offense can carry them completely while the young pitchers develop.

I don't see what changes from 2008 to 2009. Will anyone from the farm be coming up that will make us a contender? We basically know what we're going to be getting from Swisher -- we're going to get a player in his prime, an .850-.900 OPS player who's certainly going to be very valuable.

But I don't see how this move affects 2009 anymore than it affects 2008. Even if the Sox made a ton of deadline-day moves in place for 2009, the players the Sox would be getting back would be prospects, not guys who would be ready for 'big-time' in 2009. Teams aren't going to be trading the Sox 24 year-old players who have already shown they can 'stick-it' in the big leagues for the Paul Konerko's, Jermaine Dye's and Jim Thome's of our roster.

well to be fair, i think most people thought we got a fair return on garland, just not the right one, i think most of us would've preferred that buchholz, taveraz, hirsch package the year before.

but as of right now, i love it. in the offseason our OF went from the worst in the bigs to having JD and two high obp guys with 25-35 hr capability. AND our 3b is much better shape than 1/2 of last year, when...andy *shutter* gonzalez and pablo PABLO OZUNA were there. UGH. 2b with richar is scary but hopefully he can be what you'd expect out of a #8 or #9 hitter, and our SS is >>>>> than last year. Now, we need our young pitching to improve, so, roll the dice, our pitching will either perform or not. But, at least our team will be much more fun to watch this year.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 12:00 PM)
But if floyd/danks fail, i don't think that it would've been Gio and DLS that we would've gone to this year anyway.

I can flat out tell you that Kenny is a major Egbert backer. Aside from Heads there may not be many more that like Egbert as much as Kenny has. Kenny has also been very under the radar about that.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 02:10 PM)

I could see more of Konerko going to SF with Crede for Fred Lewis, Brian Wilson, and Jonathan Sanchez and maybe one lower level guy.

Nick Swisher stats from Baseball reference

I remember in 2006 Swisher worshipped the Big Hurt. Maybe we can get the Hurt back?

Year Ag Tm Lg G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG *OPS+ TB SH SF IBB HBP GDP

+--------------+---+----+----+----+---+--+---+----+---+--+---+---+-----+-----+-----+----+----+---+---+---+---+---+

2004 23 OAK AL 20 60 11 15 4 0 2 8 0 0 8 11 .250 .352 .417 101 25 0 1 0 2 2

2005 24 OAK AL 131 462 66 109 32 1 21 74 0 1 55 110 .236 .322 .446 101 206 0 1 3 4 9 RoY-6

2006 25 OAK AL 157 556 106 141 24 2 35 95 1 2 97 152 .254 .372 .493 125 274 2 6 7 11 13

2007 26 OAK AL 150 539 84 141 36 1 22 78 3 2 100 131 .262 .381 .455 127 245 1 9 12 10 13

+--------------+---+----+----+----+---+--+---+----+---+--+---+---+-----+-----+-----+----+----+---+---+---+---+---+

4 Seasons 458 1617 267 406 96 4 80 255 4 5 260 404 .251 .361 .464 118 750 3 17 22 27 37

162 Game Avg 572 94 144 34 1 28 90 1 2 92 143 .251 .361 .464 118 265 1 6 8 10 13

Career High 157 556 106 141 36 2 35 95 3 2 100 152 .262 .381 .493 127 274 2 9 12 11 13

QUOTE(yoyozuna @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 12:13 PM)

People are still livid out here about the OC deal from the Angels perspective.