White Sox Acquire Nick Swisher from Athletics

Steve9347

QUOTE(Pasqua's Mailman @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 08:02 PM)
The Sox may only win 70 games this year but their chances of winning more games this year improved with this trade... they did not decrease...

From what I'm hearing, the Sox may put Swisher in CF (A position he's never played consistently and played there last yr only because the other guy was hurt so let's put him out there! Woo-Hoo!) and they may lead him off (A spot he hasn't hit in). I just don't get it. Yes, he had a great OBP but he's best at the #2 or #6 slot cuz of his ability to put the ball into play and drive in runs. If they don't trade Crede (Which the Sox would get 50 cents on the dollar for with his back) and slot Fields in LF, we're looking at the slowest OF in all of baseball in '08 for a pitching staff that has only 2 guys that consistently strike out guys (Jenks, Vazquez). That's not good.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 12:15 PM)
I cheked out the A's boards and none of them are thrilled with this deal and all have great things to say about Swish.

Assuming he starts the year with the Sox, there is a good chance I will invest in a Swisher jersey. I f***ing love the way this guy plays the game and he has a boatload of pure ability.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 03:17 PM)
I like Swisher and all, but I don't see how this move makes us contenders for next season. Our rotation still blows, and our bullpen has added overrated s*** face Linebrink. big whoop. We get another power hitter who at least knows how to take a walk, but we completely destroyed our farm system. If we don't make the playoffs next year, Kenny Williams must be fired, because he f***ed this team up big time for the long term.

How many more games would we have won last year (especially Danks and even Floyd given the lack of run support they received in their post-ASB starts) with a few more runs scored. That's why it makes us better next season. Are we contenders, maybe not. But we're definitely better next year.

Well, this is the kind of move that allows a team to reach the postseason iff absolutely everything goes right.

The rotation itself is a question mark right now, but I see Contreras as a huge wild card right now. If he pitches well, the team could be in for a surprise season; if not, the Sox are screwed.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 12:17 PM)
I don't see what changes from 2008 to 2009. Will anyone from the farm be coming up that will make us a contender? We basically know what we're going to be getting from Swisher -- we're going to get a player in his prime, an .850-.900 OPS player who's certainly going to be very valuable.

But I don't see how this move affects 2009 anymore than it affects 2008. Even if the Sox made a ton of deadline-day moves in place for 2009, the players the Sox would be getting back would be prospects, not guys who would be ready for 'big-time' in 2009. Teams aren't going to be trading the Sox 24 year-old players who have already shown they can 'stick-it' in the big leagues for the Paul Konerko's, Jermaine Dye's and Jim Thome's of our roster.

I'm saying Kenny can now say he's going for things, while quietly he's preparing for 09. He knows this off-season didn't go as planned and now he has begun planning for 09 (hence the Alexi signing, Quentin trade and to an extent the Swisher deal as this is a move that gives the Sox a legit middle of the order in a couple years...ie Swisher/Fields/Quentin and hopefully another bat).

Kenny can now, if things go awful, swing deals for Dye/Konerko in the off-season for pieces that he truly likes and again have a s***load of money to throw around come the off-season. Basically put he can hand pick a few more guys for his squad which will give him another shot at going for things in 09.

I'm not saying it is ideal but it is a legitimate possibility. Now you could say, why not do it now and I also understand JD has his no trade clause (but if the Sox came to him I think he'd end up accepting a deal), but Kenny is still going to give things a shot. Hell, I wouldn't be stunned if Kenny used some cash on a couple one year contracts to guys like Colon/Garcia (maybe throw out some incentives and option years if things go okay).

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 02:21 PM)
Well, this is the kind of move that allows a team to reach the postseason iff absolutely everything goes right.

The rotation itself is a question mark right now, but I see Contreras as a huge wild card right now. If he pitches well, the team could be in for a surprise season; if not, the Sox are screwed.

This team's 3-4-5 in the rotation is the key to 2008. If JC pitches well and at least one of Danks/Floyd does too... this team could be in the post-season mix. If they don't...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 12:17 PM)
I don't see what changes from 2008 to 2009. Will anyone from the farm be coming up that will make us a contender? We basically know what we're going to be getting from Swisher -- we're going to get a player in his prime, an .850-.900 OPS player who's certainly going to be very valuable.

But I don't see how this move affects 2009 anymore than it affects 2008. Even if the Sox made a ton of deadline-day moves in place for 2009, the players the Sox would be getting back would be prospects, not guys who would be ready for 'big-time' in 2009. Teams aren't going to be trading the Sox 24 year-old players who have already shown they can 'stick-it' in the big leagues for the Paul Konerko's, Jermaine Dye's and Jim Thome's of our roster.

By the way, I agree a lot with your last sentence that it may not make us contenders. However, Kenny can obviously use some of those chips as well as the financial flexibility to maybe do some other things. It certainly isn't ideal, but I can think that there is at least a chance that Kenny is thinking this way (although I'm sure he's still exploring ways to upgrade the 08 club, but it does seem evident that any move he makes isn't going to be just to help the squad this year).

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 02:24 PM)
everyone say hello to our top prospect...

BrG6LNtR.jpg

That's right, Jack Egbert... puke.gif

hello

I'm not sold on this move yet, basically because things seem pretty foggy for the lineup, but we'll have to see what Kenny Williams has in store for this team.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 03:15 PM)
I cheked out the A's boards and none of them are thrilled with this deal and all have great things to say about Swish.

Scout board is about 50/50. Did pick this up off of it....

Five-Star Prospects

1A. Fautino de los Santos, RHP

1B. Daric Barton, 1B

3. Carlos Gonzalez, OF

Four-Star Prospects

4. Brett Anderson, LHP

5. Gio Gonzalez, LHP

6. Trevor Cahill, RHP

Three-Star Prospects

7. Chris Carter, 1B

8. James Simmons, RHP

9. Aaron Cunningham, OF

10. Henry Rodriguez, RHP

11. Andrew Bailey, RHP

12. Corey Brown, OF

13. Jermaine Mitchell, OF

One thing that pops into my mind...was there something about DLS that Kenny knew?!? It just seems to me that you hang on to guys like this if he's rated so highly...or at least get more than a Swisher.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 02:09 PM)
Nah. Trust me, if we could land Bedard some how, I'd flip flop on this trade about as fast as anyone. Getting a guy like Bedard would make us legit contenders imo.

Fields + Danks for Bedard?

I'm not one for trade ideas and bulls*** like that, but Crede plays 3B for us and Baltimore gets to your ML-ready players with huge upside for Bedard. How does that no get done?

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)
Well I think there is a Death valley between Swisher and Miggy Cabrera in terms of who they are. Cabrera is 3 years younger and is a far better hitter. That said, most people shouldn't hammer Kenny for not getting Cabrera because he couldn't get cabrera. They didn't want the White Sox Pu Pu platter.

Miguel will put up better numbers than Swisher this year. But with Miguel coming to the AL and to Comerica, and Swisher leaving Oakland and coming to the Cell. How much better? Now take into account that Swisher will be playing CF and Cabrera 3B. I'd suggest that the difference in overall value (offense and defense [incl. position]) between the 2 is a whole lot less than some people would guesstimate at first glance.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 08:17 PM)
I like Swisher and all, but I don't see how this move makes us contenders for next season. Our rotation still blows, and our bullpen has added overrated s*** face Linebrink. big whoop. We get another power hitter who at least knows how to take a walk, but we completely destroyed our farm system. If we don't make the playoffs next year, Kenny Williams must be fired, because he f***ed this team up big time for the long term.

our farm system was already destroyed, these guys weren't all going to miraculously become top of the line players, they can easily be replaced, maybe not DLS, but hell, he was exploded onto the scene this year, and we can replace people with a high draft pick.

QUOTE(Allsox @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 12:20 PM)
From what I'm hearing, the Sox may put Swisher in CF (A position he's never played consistently and played there last yr only because the other guy was hurt so let's put him out there! Woo-Hoo!) and they may lead him off (A spot he hasn't hit in). I just don't get it. Yes, he had a great OBP but he's best at the #2 or #6 slot cuz of his ability to put the ball into play and drive in runs. If they don't trade Crede (Which the Sox would get 50 cents on the dollar for with his back) and slot Fields in LF, we're looking at the slowest OF in all of baseball in '08 for a pitching staff that has only 2 guys that consistently strike out guys (Jenks, Vazquez). That's not good.

Throwing this out there, but the Sox could realistically deal Konerko and not get a first baseman back (with Fields playing 1st and Crede playing 3B). It may not be perfect but with Swisher here you could afford doing that. Plus if you are able to get a legit 2nd baseman and leadoff hitter in the deal as well a darn good pitcher I'd be all for the move.

Would the Angels move Howie Kendrick and a starting pitching prospect for Konerko (I know the Sox have Richar, but Kendrick is ridiculously good). I'm not necessarily saying that is all the Sox get, but you could get the 2nd baseman for the future (and a guy who is projected to win a batting title sometime in his career) and present plus someone for your rotation.

Say you get Adenhart, Kendrick, and Juan Rivera (I throw this name out there so the Sox have an option in case no one plays center, plus the Angels shed one of there outfield spots....if people would prefer Willits, that is fine). I know that is a lot of talent from the Angels perspective and they have added bats like Hunter but it is still a move they could easily afford. Again, people may jump on it because the Sox have Richar, but good lord, if you could get Kendrick...umm yeah.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 12:21 PM)

If Jose is 100% you are right, the Sox may very well be able to make a lot of noise. I highly doubt he is, but it is a possibility.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 02:26 PM)
I'm thinking the Sox will take the best collegiate pitcher available with the #8 pick. I'm going to hope the San Diego pitcher falls to them.

Isnt that the KF philosophy every year? Broadway, McCullough, Poreda...? They like the college guys because they have no leverage in negoitiations, it is either sign or play independent ball for a percentage of the money. Fields and Borchard being the exceptions to that rule, but their leverage was another sport, not going back into the draft.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 03:28 PM)
Scout board is about 50/50. Did pick this up off of it....

Five-Star Prospects

1A. Fautino de los Santos, RHP

1B. Daric Barton, 1B

3. Carlos Gonzalez, OF

Four-Star Prospects

4. Brett Anderson, LHP

5. Gio Gonzalez, LHP

6. Trevor Cahill, RHP

Three-Star Prospects

7. Chris Carter, 1B

8. James Simmons, RHP

9. Aaron Cunningham, OF

10. Henry Rodriguez, RHP

11. Andrew Bailey, RHP

12. Corey Brown, OF

13. Jermaine Mitchell, OF

One thing that pops into my mind...was there something about DLS that Kenny knew?!? It just seems to me that you hang on to guys like this if he's rated so highly...or at least get more than a Swisher.

Huh? Swisher's an excellent young bat under team control forever. What do you expect to get?

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 03:28 PM)
Fields + Danks for Bedard?

I'm not one for trade ideas and bulls*** like that, but Crede plays 3B for us and Baltimore gets to your ML-ready players with huge upside for Bedard. How does that no get done?

It doesn't get done because Baltimore can do better for one of the top pitchers in the game under control for two years.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 02:26 PM)
I'm thinking the Sox will take the best collegiate pitcher available with the #8 pick. I'm going to hope the San Diego pitcher falls to them.

I don't care anymore. With this organization, we will pass up the most talented player for the "safe" pick.

Man, would it be nice to have Porcello now instead Arron "I'm gonna throw my arm out" Poreda.

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 12:33 PM)
Isnt that the KF philosophy every year? Broadway, McCullough, Poreda...? They like the college guys because they have no leverage in negoitiations, it is either sign or play independent ball for a percentage of the money. Fields and Borchard being the exceptions to that rule, but their leverage was another sport, not going back into the draft.

The major difference is at #8 you are also talking about a guy that projects as a potential #1.

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 02:33 PM)

With the number 8 pick, the guys should have absolute huge upside. If we can get a steal for an overslot, you go for it. This is where you invest some money. If we go for the "easy sign" or the "polished yet not a lot of upside ala Broadway" then we are f***ed for a while. The last time we were in this position, we were selecting Ventura, Thomas, Fernandez, McDowell not a Broadway or of his ilk.