What are the As fans saying about this trade?

sox-r-us

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article/comm...3/SP81U8RB6.DTL

mystic11 wrote:

Nick was my favorite player on the A's. His spirit on and off the field will be sorely missed. The A's have really gone south! This may be the final straw for me. Good bye Fremont A's Yuk!

albanyguy wrote:

Good grief, I sure hope these prospects were worth it. I have always pegged Swisher to soon be one of the best in baseball.

===============

Yeah, KW is a moron

hellyeahman wrote:

GOT DAMMIT! They better lower the damn ticket prices next year. Beer too. Lew Wolf is a BUM. This pisses me off to no end, no end I tell you. Who else is gonna SWITCH HIT for the A's? Oh, and we still have Dan Johnson? Bloody hell, man, bloody 'ell.

lol

This is from Chicagosports.com

You guys are going to love Swisher - and he's signed through 2011. Billy may have gotten the better on this deal, but you guys got a fan favorite who will fit in well and contribute for several years.

Posted by: A's Fan | Jan 3, 2008 2:58:42 PM

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 03:39 PM)
This is from Chicagosports.com

You guys are going to love Swisher - and he's signed through 2011. Billy may have gotten the better on this deal, but you guys got a fan favorite who will fit in well and contribute for several years.

Posted by: A's Fan | Jan 3, 2008 2:58:42 PM

Yep, this is definitely a move for 2008. KW is not looking beyond that.

By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 02:23 pm:

God, this guy is the difference for a championship team. The guy leaves it all out on the field. He's confident, but down to earth, he'll crack open a beer with you and talk with you like you've known each other for years, he's a regular guy, blue collar, hard worker, says it like it is. He'll go crashing through a wall to catch a fly ball. Having broken in with Kendall and Kotsay, the kid learned to full tilt no matter what and that's why the fans love him. CWS fans got a treat for the upcoming year. I'm thinking play him in CF, given your lineup. Konerko/Thome takes those spots, dye is in right, that leaves Swish. I think he's better off in the corner spot though. Could also be a late inning replacement at 1B....but to maximize his bat, keep him at one spot, preferably the corner OF spot. Great pick up for the Sox.....in a tough division.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By rayfossefan (75.25.46.108) on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 01:28 pm:

lamest trade ever. swish was a bit streaky but has huge upside and is a fan favorite and a star and face of this organization. are they trying their hardest to destroy their fan base before they move to freakmont?

Edited by RudyLawRules

Reading some of these comments, I sort of have to laugh. Seems like you guys are ripping your GM for giving away the farm... But our fans here in Oakland are beginning to sour on Billy Beane trading away all our talent as they enter their prime. Nick Swisher is a gamer and despite being basically the only bat in the lineup last season due to injuries on our club, he still stayed within himself and cut down on strikeouts, raised his walk total, raised his average and took more balls the other way for doubles. True without Frank Thomas protecting him, his HR and RBI totals went down, but I suspect that will go up. Plus, with Oakland's cool damp air, it's not ideal for power hitters (especially night games), so I think hitting in your park will help his power numbers as well. Anyway, you'll love the guy and we will surely miss the guy... I just hope these 3 young guys you gave up are good...

Posted by: Berkeley Craig | Jan 4, 2008 12:46:50 AM

Fletch13 wrote:

I am an A's fan 100%, but seeing this news, after the A's traded away Haren, just sucks, BIG TIME. I hope, for Lew Wolfe and Billy's sake, these "Prospects" are the second coming of Jesus, Buddah and Mohammad. I agree with all the posts above, the A's are the AAA team for all MLB. What is the purpose of trading Swisher, he is MONEYBALL and he seemed like he was the clubhouse glue guy, the one who could pull everyone together, like Bill Murray in Meatballs. I guess the only consilation is that he didn't go to the RedSux. Question A's Fans......Are the A's now the AL version of the Marlins? Unknown roster, crappy ball park and a cheapskate jackass owner with no clue. Yep...Oakland Marlins...sounds about right. Wow....this really sucks, but as I say this, why do I have the sneaky suspistion that the A's are not done "tinkering" yet. Help Us Rollie Fingers!

========================

holdin27 wrote:

If you are still an A's fan you really have to ask yourself what happened when you were young that makes you seek out abusive situations as an adult. Swisher was my favorite player on that team and now I give up. I don't care if the A's are in rebuilding mode, because they are continuously in rebuilding mode. Maybe some of these prospects turn out to be all stars, who cares? They'll be shipped off as well.

========================

oakland_geek wrote:

I can't even come up with something witty to say. I was always a little wary of Wolfe, and I pretty much hate the Fremont idea (those who like it are in an extreme minority). But news like this is just devastating as a fan. I guess this is what it feels like if you are a really big Brittney Spears fan....

:lolhitting

Edited by sox-r-us