Phil Rogers: Sox's future takes another hit

spiderman

QUOTE(beautox @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 09:14 AM)
Lastly Jose was one of the most dominate pitchers for a very long stretch of time in '06 until he hurt his back, near the end of '07 he looked to have put it all together.

You really can't ignore that his emergence probably had a lot to do with El Duque. Perhaps having another fellow countreyman on the team will help bolster his attitude and his performance in Ramirez.

Jose was still hitting 95 on the radar last year, so the stuff is still there. We all know he's a headcase, so perhaps in a better mental spot with his divorce further in the rear-view mirror and a player he can relate to on the roster Jose can bounce back and be somewhat closer to the Cy Young candidate he was in the second-half of 2005.

I like Swisher, but despite all the over-analysis, here's the bottom line about the '08 Sox: we're not winning anything with this starting rotation. After Buehrle, we have a washed-up Contreras, an unproven Danks, an up-and-down Vazquez and a Triple A pitcher in Floyd. Jose and Gavin alone spell 2 losses every 5 games. I don't care if the Sox sign the '27 Yankees roster in its prime, we're not winning with this rotation. Period.

Now, if Danks takes a step forward and we're somehow able to turn Joe Crede into a solid #3/#4 SP, maybe we have something. But as much as I like Swisher, he makes very little difference for '08 IMO.

I'll take major league starter ready for two prospects in a heart beat, three is a stretch, but in this case it doesn't look that bad to me. One gem that caught my eye

and perhaps a break from over-coaching by an undistinguished group of minor-league hitting instructors,

Let's not toss out the baby with the bathwater in that article. :notworthy

We can do no right-honestly-per any writer in this town.I'd rather have Swisher than Rowand and Fukodome.

I've ripped Williams all Winter, but am pleased with this move. We are MORE competitive.

Enough to win? Doubtful, but there's still help out there and Crede to trade.

Sure we had to pay, but it didnt hurt the team RIGHT NOW-just helped it.

agree, rowand would hit 15 homers, hit .270 and everyone would be crabbin what an idiot kenny williams is for signing him. Swish is going to hit you .260, 30 homers, 85+ rbi's, will walk 90+ times and has grit.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 09:33 AM)
Rogers thinks the sox should be in re-building mode like the A's. He may be right, but with that mindset you'll never be objective about trading top prospects.

But, if we are in a rebuilding phase you don't trade your top prospects you keep them and trade off high priced veterans to bring in more young talent. I am not advocating this and I am willing to give the Swisher trade a chance, but Rogers has a very valid argument. I think we have given up way too much young talent especially pitchers. No one player is going to bring this team to dominance and we may have weakened one area to improve on another.

Edited by elrockinMT

I think you all need to put some stock in what Josh said earlier in this thread...the Sox dumped Duane Shaffer because they weren't happy with the development, scouting and drafts. Sooooo, maybe this trade is doing two things...getting Swisher AND cleaning house.

And again, nice post Josh.

One good point he made was that you only make a trade like this if-you have a realistic shot at contending (we don't) or if you have a deep farm system (we don't).

I don't get the slurping of Schaeffer and Sweeney though. It sucks to lose DLS and especially Gio, but Sweeney is looking more and more like the next shaun burroughs.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 12:46 PM)
One good point he made was that you only make a trade like this if-you have a realistic shot at contending (we don't) or if you have a deep farm system (we don't).

I don't get the slurping of Schaeffer and Sweeney though. It sucks to lose DLS and especially Gio, but Sweeney is looking more and more like the next shaun burroughs.

To be honest, I'm more upset about losing Sweeney than either of the the pitchers. I know I'm in the minority, but the guy is only 22 years old and has one helluva sweet swing. Don't want to argue the point though. Let's just wait a few years and see what happens.

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)
Not only Sweeney, Brian Anderson too

Brian has to prove to me he has his head on straight. I'll give him a shot to do so, in spring training, but the dude needs a serious dose of humility.