If the sox add a solid SP.....

allupons

Do you like our chances in 2008 given the other changes made this offseason thus far? I am not exactly a fan of mortgaging our entire future for swisher if it does nothing but secure 3rd in the division. So following logically, I ask myself what it takes in addition to the moves made thus far this offseason to truly compete in 08. I am (potentially overly optimistic) somewhat hopeful that a real solid SP addition might just put us into contention, even in our ridiculous division. Given that we have a fairly decent trading chip left in a stud 3b to move, im hoping that a solid SP is attainable.

Does anyone else think we are now only 1 or 2 pieces away from being an actual competitor? I am only concerned about 2b and middle relief if we add 1 more SP to be honest, and we have potential solutions to those problems within our own farm system imo.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a solid rotation this is a playoff contending team, no doubt about it. I'm guessing Kenny is going to go into the season hoping like hell that the solid starter or two are already on the roster by the names of Gavin Floyd/John Danks/Lance Broadway/Jack Ebert/Jose Contreras. They may or may not be, but if the Sox end up with 4 starters that throw around 200 innings and a 5th that somehow gives the Sox a semblance of a chance (even if it is every 10 days as opposed to every 5; ie he sucks balls half of his starts but gives them a shot the other half) and they would be contenders.

Really the season is going to be tied to how accurate the Sox are when it comes to there young pitchers and Jose Contreras. Obviously other s*** could blow up in there faces, but the true question-marks and real areas of concern (on paper) are the 3/4/5 starters of the rotation and if they pitch up to there capabalities/tools you will be talking about the Sox as a playoff contender, maybe even more.

The odds of that happening are probably slim, especially given everyone having serious doubts, given the fact that the Sox have had very few young starters succeed over the past 10 years, but hey, it could happen.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 02:59 AM)
I would really like to see Kenny sign Colon to an incentive laden contract....if that pays off, we will be golden. Low risk, high reward....and I know KW loves the guy....

Anyone know of any latest news on Colon? Anything positive regarding his health?

I would prefer Freddy Garcia. A bullpen si gni and some luck

If the Sox can get a 3rd starter, or one of their current pitchers to pitch like one, have Richar develop into a real Major Leaguer, have Fields improve upon his 07 campaign, have Quentin or Owens be productive, land another middle reliever or two, have the veteran bats do slightly better than last season collectively, have 5 respectable starters in the rotation, have Buehrle and Vazquez stay healthy, and have no major injuries in the lineup the White Sox might have a team that can contend for a playoff spot. If you want to get technical Crede could be traded to land one of the holes.

Ha, that's funny.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 09:35 AM)
I think the gaping hole is still in the bullpen, not the rotation.

I would like to know the health of both Colon and Garcia. But, I do think one more strong middle reliever would be good. Right now it seems we are hoping like heck that two or three pitchers turn things around, or two rookies actually develop into quality starters.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 03:35 AM)
I think the gaping hole is still in the bullpen, not the rotation.

The Sox are done with the bullpen. It's too tough to predict. They were awesome in 2005 and crapped their pants in 2006. It's up to the guys we have unless there's a throw-in in another trade.

The rotation is definitely the true concern of this team. I like the way the bullpen and lineup look but the rotation just looks bad to me. I have absolutely no faith in JC and the odds of at least one of Floyd/Danks being bad are pretty damn good imo.

If we could land a legit 3rd starter, I'd feel so much better about this team.

I'd consider this team much more of a contender with Garland as opposed to Cabrera. As much as I hate Uribe, I think you lose much more in going from Garland to one of Danks/Floyd than you do in going from Uribe to Cabrera. I'd like Cabrera much more if the Sox had acquired a true lead-off hitter allowing O-Cab to settle in that 2nd spot.

Ideally, the Sox could now deal Konerko and fill a couple of holes that way.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 11:11 AM)
If Bartolo lost 150 pounds for his comeback, would we be getting a Semi-Colon?

Wow way to make me absolutely crack up laughing at work. I had to leave the office. Must be one of those days. Thanks for that though.

On subject, itd be nice to grab a starter with some more hope than floyd.. And hope some bullpen arms perform up to their potential.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)
Thought those of you looking at Colon might find this interesting. He truly is a Semi-Colon, unable to crack 90 on the radar yet unless he is driving to Pizza Hut.

Semi-Colon, Bartolo that is ...

Interesting, I still remember his start against the Sox late last season where he looked quite a bit like his old self. I really think whomever gets Colon is going to end up getting a bargain on there hands.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 10:14 PM)
Interesting, I still remember his start against the Sox late last season where he looked quite a bit like his old self. I really think whomever gets Colon is going to end up getting a bargain on there hands.

I think a 1 year $5 million deal would be a risk worth taking. You pretty much get that money back once you trade Uribe. Throw in some major incentives and i think a deal could be had. This would be a great insurance policy because chances that 1 of Floyd, Contreras or Danks going to suck is pretty high.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 05:31 PM)
Don't we still have Crede and Uribe as bargaining chips?

ooh, an overweight SS who barely hits his weight and a an overrated 3B who is coming off of pretty big back surgery... yeah, they wouldn't net us much, if anything.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 11:31 PM)
Don't we still have Crede and Uribe as bargaining chips?

I think Crede will be dealt to the Phillies hopefully for a couple of decent prospects. Im just not sure about Uribe. I know Baltamore needs a SS after Tejada left.. maybe we can get a prospect or 2 there also.. I really think Crede and Uribe will be used to bring some prospects back into the organization. This team really needs a SP but were not getting it with Crede or Uribe.