Gio, Sweeney, DLS

bbmom

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2008 -> 05:35 AM)
Maybe I'm still crazy, but I think that between Egbert, Broadway, and Sisco, I'm betting we'll feel we have 1 more MLB ready starter by the end of this year who'll wind up being better than we think when he does come up.

I'm going to come out of left field and say out of those 3, Sisco could be the guy.

He had decent stats down at Charlotte, and although there weren't great reports about how he was doing down there, I think he still probably has the best stuff out of the 3.

Just needs to keep working on his off - speed stuff and his control obviously.

QUOTE(BureauEmployee171 @ Jan 9, 2008 -> 05:13 PM)
I don't think the playoffs have really ANY determining factor on the GM. There is clearly an extreme amount of "luck" involved in short 5-7 game series where anything can happen. Look at the Tigers for example, or simply the 2006 Cardinals in general. They were a league average NL team that happened to win it all. Pure circumstance & luck is what gets playoff wins in most cases.

Beane has made some extraordinary player personnel decisions and player development decisions - and a lot has to do with himself - and a lot has to do with the fact that he fired 90% of all his scouting system and simply hired on legitimate guys - not his friends to do the work. Extremely intelligent guy in terms of making money for himself (the more he wins & saves at the same time the better for him - as he is part owner of the franchise).

No![/b] :D ;)

I don't think the playoffs have really ANY determining factor on the GM. There is clearly an extreme amount of "luck" involved in short 5-7 game series where anything can happen. Look at the Tigers for example, or simply the 2006 Cardinals in general. They were a league average NL team that happened to win it all. Pure circumstance & luck is what gets playoff wins in most cases.

Beane has made some extraordinary player personnel decisions and player development decisions - and a lot has to do with himself - and a lot has to do with the fact that he fired 90% of all his scouting system and simply hired on legitimate guys - not his friends to do the work. Extremely intelligent guy in terms of making money for himself (the more he wins & saves at the same time the better for him - as he is part owner of the franchise).

Hes been blamed for completely crushing his minor league system the last several years, was that his fault or the guys he's hired?

c'mon now man if they was in such good shape and had been drafting that well, he wouldn't've had to just trade in his two affordable young stars to replenish the farm.

incidentally what do peeps think of an "Ask BureauEmployee171" sticky thread? dude's got great info but it's scattered all over the board too. might be nice to have a single place you could go to see him riffin on stuff. just a thought.

Edited by False Alarm

QUOTE(False Alarm @ Jan 10, 2008 -> 09:23 AM)
c'mon now man if they was in such good shape and had been drafting that well, he wouldn't've had to just trade in his two affordable young stars to replenish the farm.

incidentally what do peeps think of an "Ask BureauEmployee171" sticky thread? dude's got great info but it's scattered all over the board too. might be nice to have a single place you could go to see him riffin on stuff. just a thought.

Huzzah to that plan, Dweez.

a lot has to do with the fact that he fired 90% of all his scouting system and simply hired on legitimate guys - not his friends to do the work.

Would what the White Sox did in the past year with regard to scouting and player development mirror what you mention above about Beane or do you think it is not as comprehensive?

Also, I always felt the absolute best GM the Sox ever had STRICTLY with respect to drafting and player development was Larry Himes. Maybe I am just biased because of some of the great young talent that came up for the Sox in the late 80's and early 90's but I would be interested to hear your perspective on the Himes approach to the minors vs KW' recent cleaning of the house.

As always, thanks for the insight.