Nick Swisher on 670 the Score

Steve9347

He's "really excited and he loves to be coming to a team that wants to win."

Doesn't know why his power was down, he was getting more walks than ever, but he wasn't getting a 2-0 fastball down the middle like he used to... he said he can't wait to learn from Paul Konerko, Jim Thome, and Jermaine Dye to see what they've done to stay consistent.

Then the cell phone cut out.

Nick Swisher is my favorite White Sox already. Sorry Mark.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 04:20 PM)
Nick Swisher is my favorite White Sox already. Sorry Mark.

I agree with you there. I've always been a fan of Swisher, so seeing him here in Chicago is just great I think.

Boers and Bernstein, correct ?

Did they ask him if he was on HGH/Steriods during his 35 HR season before getting off last season (down to 22 HR) ???

That's what they were speculating for a minute or two yesterday as well as comparing him to a slightly better version of Aaron Rowand.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 03:44 PM)
Did they ask him if he was on HGH/Steriods during his 35 HR season before getting off last season (down to 22 HR) ???

They asked him what was up with it. He said that he wasn't getting good pitches on 2-0 counts like he always had, and he would work hard and try to learn from Thome, Konerko, and Dye how they stay consistent in their power numbers.

This basically is in direct reference to the horrible lineup in Oakland and how there was no protection so there was no incentive for the other team to give him ANYTHING to hit.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)
They asked him what was up with it. He said that he wasn't getting good pitches on 2-0 counts like he always had, and he would work hard and try to learn from Thome, Konerko, and Dye how they stay consistent in their power numbers.

This basically is in direct reference to the horrible lineup in Oakland and how there was no protection so there was no incentive for the other team to give him ANYTHING to hit.

He was hitting in front of Thomas the year he had the big year right?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 04:06 PM)
He was hitting in front of Thomas the year he had the big year right?

Hell yes he was. Thomas said Swisher was the nicest guy he ever played with too...

t1_swisherthomas.jpg

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 02:27 PM)
After Swisher's phone dropped him a second time they just sort of ended the interview. About 5 minutes late Swisher called back off the air to apologize, twice.

I just love getting those type of guys on your team. It makes it fun to root for. I really am getting excited for baseball season because unlike last year, this years team at least has some guys that I really look forward to watching play the game. I also think they have some young guys with talent and if they develop the Sox may end up surprising.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 03:28 PM)
I just love getting those type of guys on your team. It makes it fun to root for. I really am getting excited for baseball season because unlike last year, this years team at least has some guys that I really look forward to watching play the game. I also think they have some young guys with talent and if they develop the Sox may end up surprising.
I agree, he is a high energy guy that brings excitement to the team. That is contagious too. You have to think the other players are excited to have him too.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 02:34 PM)
I agree, he is a high energy guy that brings excitement to the team. That is contagious too. You have to think the other players are excited to have him too.

I got to admit, I love the OC/Swisher/Quentin moves and understand the Linebrink one (I don't think Linebrink is very good, but you can't argue his past numbers and can only hope that he ends up pitching good...the years were too much but you can't deny the Sox had a major hole in the pen).

No one knows if it will be enough, but the Sox have went out and brought in good guys who are good baseball players and in the case of Swisher/Quentin they will be here for a good number of years.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 09:44 PM)
Boers and Bernstein, correct ?

That's what they were speculating for a minute or two yesterday as well as comparing him to a slightly better version of Aaron Rowand.

IIRC Swish did most of his batting in the 2 hole which would put him right ahead of E. Chavez who didn't have a great year last year (killed a fantasy team of mine) and because of that he said he wasn't seeing alot of 2-0 fastballs that he hit out the year before.

Probably never know if that is the real reason or not but it sounds plausible to me.

QUOTE(juddling @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 04:06 PM)
IIRC Swish did most of his batting in the 2 hole which would put him right ahead of E. Chavez who didn't have a great year last year (killed a fantasy team of mine) and because of that he said he wasn't seeing alot of 2-0 fastballs that he hit out the year before.

Probably never know if that is the real reason or not but it sounds plausible to me.

Well, there's a little bit we can look at to check that. Swisher hit 2nd 190 times last year, hit 3rd 287 times, and had a smattering in other spots. OPS 859 out of the 2 spot and 811 out of the 3 spot. Chavez hit 3rd 118 times last year, so he wasn't there as often, and he hit 4th 87 times. Didn't put up good numbers in either spot, but wasn't really in either of them that much, so it's hard to draw any conclusions from that. It is probably worth saying that the A's simply didn't have anyone else in their lineup other than Jack Cust giving them decent power numbers, and it looks like Cust filled in the 3 and 4 spots pretty well later in the season.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 04:26 PM)
It really doesn't have to be very complicated. In 2007, Swish lost his "protection"(wants for condom joke) in Frank, and was replaced by as you said a broken down Chavez, and a very streaky Jack Cust. There weren't many bats in the Oakland lineup that pitchers wanted to stay away from. Lets just say Swish bats 2nd(which I don't think is going to happen), having Thome-Kong-Dye behind him is going to help his numbers a lot more than Chavez-Cust-Ellis/Johnson? would have.

Oh, I'm not saying it won't help, I think it'll be a great punch for us. But I was just looking at whether or not we could say that Chavez hit behind him a lot last year, and it kinda looks like the answer would be no, especially later in the year.

I did a little research. For 90 of his 150 games played last season Swish had someone other than Jack Cust hitting behind him.

Swisher 2nd w/ Piazza  3rd: 2 G

Swisher 2nd w/ Kielty 3rd: 3

Swisher 2nd w/ Chavez 3rd: 15

Swisher 2nd w/ Johnson 3rd: 7

Swisher 2nd w/ Bradley 3rd: 2

Swisher 2nd w/ Cust 3rd: 18

Swisher 2nd w/ Stewart 3rd: 2

Swisher 3rd w/ Johnson 4th: 7

Swisher 3rd w/ Bradley 4th: 1

Swisher 3rd w/ Chavez 4th: 18

Swisher 3rd w/ Cust 4th: 42

Swisher 3rd w/ Piazza 4th: 14

Swisher 4th w/ Johnson 5th: 5

Swisher 4th w/ Chavez 5th: 1

Swisher 4th w/ Ellis 5th: 1

Swisher 5th w/ Ellis 6th: 1

Swisher 6th w/ Crosby 7th: 5

Swisher 6th w/ Kielty 7th: 2

Swisher 6th w/ Ellis 7th: 1

Swisher 6th w/ Johnson 7th: 1

Swisher 6th w/ Scutaro 7th: 1

Swisher 6th w/ Hannahan 7th: 1

Times hitting behind Swisher in 2007:

Cust: 60

Chavez: 34

Johnson: 20

Piazza: 16

Crosby: 5

Kielty: 5

Ellis: 3

Bradley: 3

Stewart: 2

Scutaro: 1

Hannahan: 1

The Swish/Cust combo was first seen in game #68 but it didn't become a regular occurrence until game #77 but even then they weren't hitting back to back all that often. On August 7th (Game #114) they were matched up almost permanently.

This interview is available from itunes as a podcast if anyone is interested. Search 670 and all the shows pop up in the store under podcasts. It was on the Boers and Bernstein show. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious. I think it is a pretty cool thing since I was at work with no radio. Anyone started a Swish fanclub yet? I hated that Swisher guy when he was on the A's just like I hated AJ when he was on the Twins. I think we are going to love this guy.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 11:45 PM)
I hated that Swisher guy when he was on the A's just like I hated AJ when he was on the Twins. I think we are going to love this guy.

I agree with that. He looks like hes going to be a fun player to watch play. We need a Josh Fields fan club too, I dont know if there is one, if there is I want to join

I just listened to the Swisher interview that was on Chicago Tribune Live earlier and I already love the guy. He's loose and he's hilarious.

He said he was really excited to finally meet and talk to Ozzie, that he'll definitely be attending SoxFest, that he's prepared to play CF with what Kotsay taught him in Oakland, how surprised he was when Billy Beane made the phone call (and how he didn't initially believe BB), and that his favorite cereal is Fruity Pebbles. :lol: