Gammons writes article on Thomas

Mr. Showtime

http://msn.espn.go.com/gammons/s/2002/1117/1462238.html

Thomas has holed himself up in Las Vegas, where he is working out four or five hours a day. "I'm working the way I did when I was playing football (at Auburn), the same kind of conditioning," says The Big Hurt. "I want to be in the best condition I've ever been in baseball. It's been long enough, I want to go back to playing defense (something he's done 37 times since the 1998 season). I believe I can play six more years, and I want them to be consistent, productive seasons that restore my name. It hasn't been easy, but I know what it takes, and I will do it."

Its good to see Frank working his butt off. I don't like the idea of him holing himself in a place cause it just adds to my theories that he has a lot of problems mentally that he needs to solve.

Still, he seems to be figuring things out and he's an amazing hitter.

Of course what the heck do I know, for all I know he has a girlfriend their or family or friends.

I don't think anyone should doubt Thomas' ability to come back. There isn't a doubt in my mind that Thomas will put up 110 RBI's next year with 30+ homers and a strong average. if that 10 mil a season could be spent on a pitcher, I would rather do that.

it would be nice to see Thomas back. we all tend to forget he had surgery in 2001 and looked alot better over the last month and a half of the season.

sign him for 5 mil a year, give Buehrle his 7-8 mil a season and go from there.

those are two priorities that are/could hold the Sox up.

The real reason I don't want to get rid of Thomas is because I would rather have him hit .275 30 100 here then have him hit that elsewhere.

I believe the main candiate to get Thomas is Baltimore, but with them interested in Pudge and them wanting only to add one big bat, they may get him and not add Thomas. And I believe from what I read it said the White Sox could defer all but $300,000 of his $10.725 or whatever due. That doesn't mean we HAVE to defer all but $300,000 of it, but maybe we could defer $5,000,000 of it and then restructure his contract in the next offseason. Just a thought

Originally posted by Molto

I don't think anyone should doubt Thomas' ability to come back.  There isn't a doubt in my mind that Thomas will put up 110 RBI's next year with 30+ homers and a strong average.  if that 10 mil a season could be spent on a pitcher, I would rather do that.

it would be nice to see Thomas back.  we all tend to forget he had surgery in 2001 and looked alot better over the last month and a half of the season. 

Buehrle doesn't deserve 7-8 mil a season. He deserves Barry Zito money or less, which is not 7-8 mil a season. He is about the same as a Pujols or Zito to me and neither is commanding that money yet. He needs to get 4 mil or so a season max to keep him happy now and then we offer him a big deal after his 5th full season. No way he commands 7-8 yet and if that's what he wants now, he can take a hike. No one with his tenure is being paid 7-8 million, case closed.

Originally posted by abozichiu
Originally posted by Molto

I don't think anyone should doubt Thomas' ability to come back.  There isn't a doubt in my mind that Thomas will put up 110 RBI's next year with 30+ homers and a strong average.  if that 10 mil a season could be spent on a pitcher, I would rather do that.

it would be nice to see Thomas back.  we all tend to forget he had surgery in 2001 and looked alot better over the last month and a half of the season. 

Buehrle doesn't deserve 7-8 mil a season. He deserves Barry Zito money or less, which is not 7-8 mil a season. He is about the same as a Pujols or Zito to me and neither is commanding that money yet. He needs to get 4 mil or so a season max to keep him happy now and then we offer him a big deal after his 5th full season. No way he commands 7-8 yet and if that's what he wants now, he can take a hike. No one with his tenure is being paid 7-8 million, case closed.

I'm with you on that. Give him a 3 yr deal worth something like 12-15 million and then during his free agent year renegotiate and lock him up longer.

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

The other thing I love about reupping with Frank is the simple reason that if he does go out and hit like I think he can, then the Sox can hold a ransom for him and get a whole lot in return if they decide to go that way.

if that scenario really did play out....what do think paulie , maggs and mark would do the minute they be came free agent eligable???...a move like tht would be just another PR disaster in the wake of many

I don't think he's worth 7-8 either, atleast for 2003, but he isn't worth 3-4 mil. remember that he's won 35 games in two seasons, has held an ERA in 3.50s, has thrown over 400 innings, is a lefty, and is 23 years old.

now include the fact that the Sox lowballed him last year, they should make up for that and give him something deserving.

I would give him a 3 year deal worth 18 million, with a team option for a fourth at 10 mil.

have him make 5 mil in 2003, 6 mil in 2004, 7 mil in 2005.

I think that is reasonable. he's been in the league for three years and hasn't shown any signs of getting worse or getting figured out. his only problem is that he tends to wear down as the season goes and just isn't as productive as the start, but I think that is the case for most pitchers, at least young ones.

OR, if the Sox want to go out and get a guy like Moyer or spend some cash. give him 2-3 mil in 2003, and then raise it significantly for 2004 and 2005, just so they can afford other players now.

he has to be signed past 2004 though. reason is Ordonez is set for free agency following 2004. no way we can have both guys FAs in the same offseason. key, in my opinion, is to keep the number of FAs you have each year as low as possible.

either way, they should lock him for 3-4 years soon. sign him, offer Thomas 5 mil a year, then go from there in regards to FAs and such. they should get someone, even a Traschel or Reynolds will do. we just need another arm so we can keep Biddle, Rauch, and Glover out of the rotation and in the pen. Garland and Wright will only get better, and Ritchie can only improve from last year.

The thing is Mario if you own his rights and can repay him as you wish you don't have as good of market value so your being kind simply giving him 4 or 5 million a year which is what the other top players his age will get.

Pujols, Zito, Muldder they get that kind of money and nothing more until nearer to free agency.

Originally posted by greg775

Yikes...

If Frank is really working out like this, they we better keep him.

If he's motivated, look out.

Frank might be back.

p.s. Our bad luck he gets motivated now that he's leaving, ala David Wells.

Well Wells really went down hill in the second half, which tells me he is done.