The slippery slope of gun laws

EvilMonkey

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 8, 2008 -> 03:17 PM)
I don't want them telling me what food are safe, and inspecting the food, and all that crap. I don't want them to force me to use their police and fire protection. I don't want them making certain my water is safe. I don't want them making certain the products I use are safe. I don't want them building schools all over the damn place. Y'all are right, get them out of our lives.

The water is full of flourine and the schools are crap. Not too damn sure about the food and we addressed the police when we talked about Swat teams and such.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 8, 2008 -> 03:20 PM)
The water is full of flourine and the schools are crap. Not too damn sure about the food and we addressed the police when we talked about Swat teams and such.

Free crap schools are probably better than no schools at all...

How is the Government controlling your thermostat different from the laws forcing auto makers to make their cars to a certain MPG? If I want to buy a truck that gets 8 MPG, than I should have the right to make that cash wasting decision.

I think it prove's that a goverment dosen't need to take away guns to over take it's people. I think it also points out that other factors are invloded in taking over a people, not just taking away their guns.

I'm not for taking people's guns away. I'm for people having guns. I just think people in this country over react when talking about gun control.

I'm sure there's things you believe in that would put the goverment in someone's personal life too.

Who needs school's anyway. Stupid Teachers.

He might not be a teacher, but he can help you.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 8, 2008 -> 03:25 PM)
Can somebody (balta?) find a good study on the amount of violent crime in England before and after the gun bans?

Well, IIRC the short answer is going to be that it has gone upwards, but the longer answer is yes, the crime amounts have gone upwards, but the long-term trends were upwards before the bans were even enacted, and the long term trends have shown some sign of reversing in recent years. The longest answer is, it's complicated and I don't really know what the data show, so go read for yourself. The firearm section starts on page 71.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 8, 2008 -> 03:20 PM)

I would not say our schools are crap, we allow every student to enter and stay in school. Other countries kick those kids out. Makes for a difficult comparison of test scores. Our crap schools attract students from all over the globe.

Deadly outbreaks from contaminated water are very rare in this country. Even better is our sewer systems.

America, Love it or Leave it :P

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 17, 2008 -> 11:54 AM)
I would not say our schools are crap, we allow every student to enter and stay in school. Other countries kick those kids out. Makes for a difficult comparison of test scores. Our crap schools attract students from all over the globe.

Deadly outbreaks from contaminated water are very rare in this country. Even better is our sewer systems.

America, Love it or Leave it :P

... or change it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 17, 2008 -> 09:02 PM)
So that we kick poorly performing kids out of our schools So that we kick poorly performing kids out of our schools and so that we have repeated disease outbreaks due to sewage contaminated water?

Well, we wouldn't need the illegal migrant workers any more.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 17, 2008 -> 09:28 PM)
Well, we wouldn't need the illegal migrant workers any more.

Interesting that many studies and practical experience here, shows that immigrant kids perform far better in science and math then the native population.

Edited by Texsox
Unfair, unkind comment.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 18, 2008 -> 08:27 AM)
Interesting that many studies and practical experience here, shows that immigrant kids perform far better in science and math then the native population. But that's fine, your "superior" Kentucky children can then pack crops and clean toilets and make them purdy.

Exactly! ... The immigrant kids (usually Asian or European, however) perform better than ours. Which was the basis for my "Crap schools" comment, at which you seemed to take offense. Our elementary and secondary schools are crap, thanks to the centralization of the educational system under the NEA. This should be handled on a state and local level with minimal interference from the Fed level. Of course, that's not the liberal way. But it is the right way.

I won't even comment on your remark about Kentucky children. It doesn't deserve a response from me and such a response would probably get me some time off from Soxtalk.

I retract the remark about Kentucky kids, I believe I misread your comments. I thought you were saying that the children of illegals are the poorly performing kids. Now that I slowed down and reread, I understand I made a terrible assumption. Sorry.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 18, 2008 -> 12:12 PM)
I retract the remark about Kentucky kids, I believe I misread your comments. I thought you were saying that the children of illegals are the poorly performing kids. Now that I slowed down and reread, I understand I made a terrible assumption. Sorry.

Fair enough.