Should this REALLY be a college course?

EvilMonkey

http://www.umich.edu/news/index.html?BG/317descr

ENGLISH 317. Literature and Culture.

Section 002 — How to be Gay: Male Homosexuality and Initiation.

Credits: (3; 2 in the half-term).

Instructor(s): David M Halperin ([email protected])

Course Description:

Just because you happen to be a gay man doesn't mean that you don't have to learn how to become one. Gay men do some of that learning on their own, but often we learn how to be gay from others, either because we look to them for instruction or because they simply tell us what they think we need to know, whether we ask for their advice or not.

This course will examine the general topic of the role that initiation plays in the formation of gay male identity. We will approach it from three angles: (1) as a sub-cultural practice — subtle, complex, and difficult to theorize — which a small but significant body of work in queer studies has begun to explore; (2) as a theme in gay male writing; and (3) as a class project, since the course itself will constitute an experiment in the very process of initiation that it hopes to understand.

In particular, we will examine a number of cultural artifacts and activities that seem to play a prominent role in learning how to be gay: Hollywood movies, grand opera, Broadway musicals, and other works of classical and popular music, as well as camp, diva-worship, drag, muscle culture, taste, style, and political activism. Are there a number of classically 'gay' works such that, despite changing tastes and generations, all gay men, of whatever class, race, or ethnicity, need to know them, in order to be gay? What is there about gay identity that explains the gay appropriation of these works? What do we learn about gay male identity by asking not who gay men are but what it is that gay men do or like? One aim of exploring these questions is to approach gay identity from the perspective of social practices and cultural identifications rather than from the perspective of gay sexuality itself. What can such an approach tell us about the sentimental, affective, or subjective dimensions of gay identity, including gay sexuality, that an exclusive focus on gay sexuality cannot?

At the core of gay experience there is not only identification but disidentification. Almost as soon as I learn how to be gay, or perhaps even before, I also learn how not to be gay. I say to myself, 'Well, I may be gay, but at least I'm not like that!' Rather than attempting to promote one version of gay identity at the expense of others, this course will investigate the stakes in gay identifications and disidentifications, seeking ultimately to create the basis for a wider acceptance of the plurality of ways in which people determine how to be gay.

Additional note. This course is not a basic introduction to gay male culture, but an exploration of certain issues arising from it. It assumes some background knowledge. Students wishing to inform themselves about gay men and gay culture in a preliminary way should enroll in an introductory course in lesbian/gay studies.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Jan 8, 2008 -> 10:34 AM)
But what does that class add to an English major? or any major?

And thanks to whomever eliminated the double post. I have a new computer and the mouse is a little touchy.

Welcome.

And I am not sure how it is relevant to the English major--I only gave it a quick glance. Like I said, I think it would be very well suited to a Sociology or gender studies major.

But as someone who has to design the occasional course for a major, there are usually some guidelines that need to be followed and requirements to satisfy the department and the university.

shoot, take a look at any course list at colleges.

I went to UIC... there was such bogus courses as

* History of Sports

* Sports and Drugs

* Bowling

* Tennis

* Basketball, etc...

My wife went to ISU. There were such bogus courses as...

* Dance

* Golf

* Women in Literature (Lesbian Poetry)

Not necessarily "higher education"

I'm a little surprised it is in the English Department, I was thinking Sociology, Anthropology, or even Psychology. By the way this course was offered in 2003, I'm not certain it is still current

Key Points on Professor David Halperin’s English 317 course “Literature and Culture”

(Section 002: “How to Be Gay: Homosexuality and Initiation”) offered Fall Term 2003:

· the English Department, under normal procedures, whereby subject matter, course content and texts are presented for review, approved this course; several other universities in our state have similar courses, albeit without this exact title

· the course is one of a number of courses under the general study of literature and culture offered by the English Department; as examples, other sections of English 317 cover "Literature and the American Wilderness" and "Literature and the Apocalypse"; in these, texts are studied in relation to how individuals develop perceptions, attitudes, and beliefs about some aspect of their world

· the course is open to all students; it focuses on understanding aspects of gay culture and its representations in the society at large, making no assumptions about the sexuality of the students; interest in this type of course often is based on the fact that a student plans to enter a field (e.g., Medicine, Teaching, Law, Social Work, etc.) where he or she will encounter a large and very diverse clientele

· although the course description is written in a popular style, it reflects a considerable body of knowledge and is being taught by a faculty member highly regarded for his scholarship in this area

· the course is designed to study the aesthetic, political and cultural aspects of the formation of gay identity; it inquires into the formation of gay identity, looks at the different ways it is fashioned and asks what role culture plays in the process

· the course examines how the transmission of cultural norms operates in the case of sexual minorities who, unlike ethnic or racial minorities, cannot rely on their families to teach them about their history and culture

· the course is not about encouraging people to become gay, but about how individuals in our society create meaning and beliefs about gay culture from literature and the arts; it features several cultural areas that are used to examine gay culture, including texts, art, music, opera, and theater; it is not about how people become homosexual, but about how people who already are gay create a culture of their own out of the society that surrounds them

· the term “gay initiation” in the course title refers to a process that all communities face of reproducing themselves across generations – it is really an anthropological concept, according to Professor Halperin.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Jan 8, 2008 -> 12:41 PM)

* History of Sports

* Sports and Drugs

* Bowling

* Tennis

* Basketball, etc...

My wife went to ISU. There were such bogus courses as...

* Dance

* Golf

* Women in Literature (Lesbian Poetry)

Not necessarily "higher education"

bowling is fun, dude

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Jan 8, 2008 -> 05:58 PM)
I'm taking Theory and Practice of Coaching Baseball and Theory and Practice of Coaching Football. :D

We have those at Tennessee, but you have to be in a specific major to take those classes. It sucks b/c I would love to take a class about coaching football, basketball, etc.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Jan 8, 2008 -> 01:41 PM)

* History of Sports

* Sports and Drugs

* Bowling

* Tennis

* Basketball, etc...

As someone who is a sports management major, I'll just say that I see no reason why these are 'bogus' courses.

Carry on.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 8, 2008 -> 08:56 AM)
Who cares? They aren't forcing people to take it. Although I would have thought it would be a Sociology course as opposed to English.

Michigan is a state funded school, right? Do they offer "How to be a Christian"?

That's why someone might care.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Jan 12, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)
uh...what exactly does the "initiation" entail?

I guess if I have to ask, I'm not gay. :lol:

· the course is not about encouraging people to become gay, but about how individuals in our society create meaning and beliefs about gay culture from literature and the arts; it features several cultural areas that are used to examine gay culture, including texts, art, music, opera, and theater; it is not about how people become homosexual, but about how people who already are gay create a culture of their own out of the society that surrounds them

· the term “gay initiation” in the course title refers to a process that all communities face of reproducing themselves across generations – it is really an anthropological concept, according to Professor Halperin.

QUOTE(mreye @ Jan 14, 2008 -> 09:18 AM)
Michigan is a state funded school, right? Do they offer "How to be a Christian"?

That's why someone might care.

When was homosexuality elevated to the status of a religion?

That's not intended to be a snarky answer. I guess you just have me wondering what sexuality-based constitutional equivalent of church/state separation one would invoke in getting up in arms about a state institution allowing this course to be taught.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 15, 2008 -> 12:02 AM)
When was homosexuality elevated to the status of a religion?

That's not intended to be a snarky answer. I guess you just have me wondering what sexuality-based constitutional equivalent of church/state separation one would invoke in getting up in arms about a state institution allowing this course to be taught.

Soxy said, "Who cares?"

My point is if it was "How to be a Christian", many people would care, but "How to be gay" and we shouldn't bat an eye. It's a tax payer supported institution. IMO, it should not offer either course.

QUOTE(mreye @ Jan 15, 2008 -> 06:51 AM)
Soxy said, "Who cares?"

My point is if it was "How to be a Christian", many people would care, but "How to be gay" and we shouldn't bat an eye. It's a tax payer supported institution. IMO, it should not offer either course.

I tend to agree. I think there is a difference between courses like "Comparitive Religions" and "Human Sexuality", versus "How to be a Good Christian" and "Homosexual Initiation". The former are OK and probably good for a state school to offer, the latter are questionable. Maybe not unconstitutional, nothing that bad, but I don't think state schools should be offerring those courses.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 15, 2008 -> 09:12 AM)
I tend to agree. I think there is a difference between courses like "Comparitive Religions" and "Human Sexuality", versus "How to be a Good Christian" and "Homosexual Initiation". The former are OK and probably good for a state school to offer, the latter are questionable. Maybe not unconstitutional, nothing that bad, but I don't think state schools should be offerring those courses.

I'll be honest. I think that it's a misleading title--I understand why the instructor picked it, though. It would make students notice it and probably taking it--thus ensuring the class runs and the instructor makes money. That being said, I don't think the class is really here is how to be a gay man. As the course description says I think it is examining the rules and regulations of one particular, shall we say, subculture. To me, it sounds no different than the course I took on utopian communities--looking at their ways of life, traditions, initiation rites, etc (although my class was offered by American studies--not the English department).

On the whole, I doubt this course is very much different from a Christian ethics class I took that looked at different societal issues, Christian traditions and their roots in the gospel, and different rites within the church. While this course wasn't called how to be a Christian--that was, essentially, what it was. And I am willing to bet that Michigan offers a similar Christian ethics class that covers everything from initiation (baptism, confirmation) to staying involved in the lifestyle (communion, tithing, etc).

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 15, 2008 -> 09:14 AM)
I'll be honest. I think that it's a misleading title--I understand why the instructor picked it, though. It would make students notice it and probably taking it--thus ensuring the class runs and the instructor makes money. That being said, I don't think the class is really here is how to be a gay man. As the course description says I think it is examining the rules and regulations of one particular, shall we say, subculture. To me, it sounds no different than the course I took on utopian communities--looking at their ways of life, traditions, initiation rites, etc (although my class was offered by American studies--not the English department).

On the whole, I doubt this course is very much different from a Christian ethics class I took that looked at different societal issues, Christian traditions and their roots in the gospel, and different rites within the church. While this course wasn't called how to be a Christian--that was, essentially, what it was. And I am willing to bet that Michigan offers a similar Christian ethics class that covers everything from initiation (baptism, confirmation) to staying involved in the lifestyle (communion, tithing, etc).

Well, that is certainly interesting. The course is probably more a study than a how-to, as you point out. But I am not sure where the line is there, for a state school. I am not even sure that a Christian Ethics class is appropriate. Maybe it is.

I don't find any of these courses offensive or anything - I just question whether or not government dollars should be spent on them. That is the appropriateness test I am getting at.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 15, 2008 -> 10:55 AM)
Well, that is certainly interesting. The course is probably more a study than a how-to, as you point out. But I am not sure where the line is there, for a state school. I am not even sure that a Christian Ethics class is appropriate. Maybe it is.

I don't find any of these courses offensive or anything - I just question whether or not government dollars should be spent on them. That is the appropriateness test I am getting at.

Do you feel the same way about basic theology courses? Or other Ethics courses? Where would you draw the line for state funding?

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 15, 2008 -> 10:58 AM)
Do you feel the same way about basic theology courses? Or other Ethics courses? Where would you draw the line for state funding?

That's the problem - I don't think there is a very clear line. My inclination is that ethics and theology courses, when not specific to one religion, are fine. But then again, if a school offers Religious Studies as a major, it would be had to not have specific courses in specific religions, wouldn't it?

Maybe the key is really about the purpose of the courses. Are they education, or training? I think the latter, if referring to a religion or a lifestyle or a sexual preference, are probably a bad idea.