2008 HoF Inductees

ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 8, 2008 -> 01:18 PM)
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7651196?MSNHPHMA

Gossage alone in this years class (plus veterans committee selections). Rice fell 14 votes short with next year being his final chance. Raines the only first timer with more than the 5% needed to remain next year; he had 25%.

Good for Goose. Well deserved. He was the best reliever of his time. I wish Dawson would have made it.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 8, 2008 -> 01:24 PM)
It's a f***ing joke that Tim Raines didn't get in. Best leadoff hitter in NL history.

What I think is the f***ing joke is he will get in, but in another year or two. The voters play this stupid first ballot thing. It's like Rock is going to go out and get a couple more hits, score a few more runs.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 8, 2008 -> 07:14 PM)
What I think is the f***ing joke is he will get in, but in another year or two. The voters play this stupid first ballot thing. It's like Rock is going to go out and get a couple more hits, score a few more runs.

Exactly.

... and all the while, Ron Santo is running out of legs waiting for the other joke known as the Veterans Committee,

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 8, 2008 -> 10:46 PM)
The fact that Jim Rice and his Ellis Burks-esque numbers will probably get in next year makes me sad, he shouldn't be allowed into Cooperstown without a ticket. And Tim Raines BETTER get in, it's sad his vote total was so low this year.

Rice won't get in next year. The only reason his vote total was so high was that there was not clear cut hall of famer. Next year that won't be the case.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jan 9, 2008 -> 07:52 PM)
Rice won't get in next year. The only reason his vote total was so high was that there was not clear cut hall of famer. Next year that won't be the case.

Rickey is the only clear cut next year though I believe.

As for the Ellis Burks/Jim Rice comparision I made, to be fair, I'll back it up with career stats:

average/on base/slugging/ops: Burks: .291/.363/.510/.873 Rice: .298/.352/.502/.854

home runs: Burks: 352 Rice: 382

doubles: Burks: 402 Rice: 373

triples: Burks: 63 Rice: 79

stolen bases: Burks: 181 Rice: 58

hits: Burks: 2107 Rice: 2452

runs: Burks: 1253 Rice: 1249

OPS+ Burks: 126 Rice: 128

30+ home runs seasons: both had 4, and both had 1 season of 40+

Even for fans of defense!!

range factor: Burks: 2.08 Rice: 2.10

fielding percentage: Burks: .983 Rice: .980

putouts: Burks: 3,436 Rice: 3,103

assists: Burks: 83 Rice: 137 (maybe his one huge edge)

Burks had one gold glove and Rice had none.

Also keep in mind looking at some of the cumulative stats, Rice had ONE THOUSAND more at bats (well 993, but close enough) than Burks. Burks also played in 2,000 games to Rice's 2,089. Despite that, Rice finished his career with 83 more strikeouts and 123 less walks. They both retired as OF/DH their whole career (and Rice spent 224 more games at DH). The one big advantage Rice has is about 450 more total bases, but hey almost 1,000 extra trips to the box will do that for you.

Anybody that can look at those numbers and say Rice is a hall of famer must:

1. Think Ellis Burks is a Hall of Famer.

2. Not know the difference between "Hall of Fame" and "Hall of really good"

They were both 6'2 and 205 pounds btw, which is interesting, although I never saw Burks as a juicer, so I'm not sure how that would factor here. I just hope Rice doesn't get in, some of the people already in are bad enough, but he'd be right up there on the all time list. I hate the Boston/east coast media, they are the only reason this is even an issue, while Tim Raines can't even get 30 percent of the vote.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 9, 2008 -> 11:26 PM)
Anybody that can look at those numbers and say Rice is a hall of famer must:

1. Think Ellis Burks is a Hall of Famer.

2. Not know the difference between "Hall of Fame" and "Hall of really good"

In terms of Ellis Burks's numbers, I can sum up in 1 word why I feel that is a poor comparison: Colorado.

Dude spent 5 or so of his prime years hitting for the Rockies. That alone can be expected to totally throw off one's career numbers.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2008 -> 10:58 AM)
In terms of Ellis Burks's numbers, I can sum up in 1 word why I feel that is a poor comparison: Colorado.

Dude spent 5 or so of his prime years hitting for the Rockies. That alone can be expected to totally throw off one's career numbers.

Jim Rice was a career .277/.330/.459/.789 away from Fenway and .320/.374/.546/.920 at Fenway. Burks for his career in general was .279/.352/.480/.832 away from home and .304/.375/.542/.917 at home. They both benefitted playing in some good parks to hit, but keep in mind Rice spent his ENTIRE career at Fenway, perhaps the best park ever built for right handed power hitters, although Burks was in Colorado and Boston most of his until having some nice years later on in Cleveland. The similarities never end with those two.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 10, 2008 -> 03:19 PM)
Jim Rice was a career .277/.330/.459/.789 away from Fenway and .320/.374/.546/.920 at Fenway. Burks for his career in general was .279/.352/.480/.832 away from home and .304/.375/.542/.917 at home. They both benefitted playing in some good parks to hit, but keep in mind Rice spent his ENTIRE career at Fenway, perhaps the best park ever built for right handed power hitters, although Burks was in Colorado and Boston most of his until having some nice years later on in Cleveland. The similarities never end with those two.

You've convinced me...I am votingfor Burks for the HOF! :P