Gross, Hotel Room Glasses

Texsox

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 10, 2008 -> 01:50 PM)
A little too much DNA on that bedding?

I laugh when people ask me how you stay clean while backpacking for a few days. I'll take my own DNA filled sleeping bag to hotel sheets anyday.

I travel on business almost every week. I'm staying at a hotel this week in fact. I try to pretend I don't know about these things, but I do. And I agree Tex, in a way, I feel cleaning spending time in the woods than I do in hotels.

At least in the woods, I'd have poured some boiling water onto those glasses (nalgene). Knock on wood, I've never experienced gastric problems while backpacking. We're very careful about cleaning. Imagine staying at a decent hotel and being subjected to worst.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 10, 2008 -> 01:55 PM)
At least in the woods, I'd have poured some boiling water onto those glasses (nalgene). Knock on wood, I've never experienced gastric problems while backpacking. We're very careful about cleaning. Imagine staying at a decent hotel and being subjected to worst.

We got caught at very high altitude in Colorado one summer when the water filters both broke or clogged beyond repair. We eventually ran out of iodine, so we resorted to boiling. Except, at 13,000 feet, the boiling temp isn't high enough. 4 of us got Giardia - thankfully after we were out of the woods. Not fun, though.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 10, 2008 -> 01:06 PM)
We got caught at very high altitude in Colorado one summer when the water filters both broke or clogged beyond repair. We eventually ran out of iodine, so we resorted to boiling. Except, at 13,000 feet, the boiling temp isn't high enough. 4 of us got Giardia - thankfully after we were out of the woods. Not fun, though.

Out of the woods...I get it!!! Not enough leaves in the forest for for that, is there?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 10, 2008 -> 01:06 PM)

yikes. I remember the Backpacker article a couple years ago that tested water around the country and found very little incidences of Giardia, bummer you found a spot. Which filter are you using? I keep thinking I should update my 6 year old Pur, but it keeps working and working.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 10, 2008 -> 02:26 PM)
yikes. I remember the Backpacker article a couple years ago that tested water around the country and found very little incidences of Giardia, bummer you found a spot. Which filter are you using? I keep thinking I should update my 6 year old Pur, but it keeps working and working.

One of them, the element was old and got super-clogged, and just couldn't be cleaned enough to work well. The other, a part broke (and it was a fairly new one!).

Colorado's high country is afoul with giardia - one of the worst areas for it.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 10, 2008 -> 02:12 PM)
One of them, the element was old and got super-clogged, and just couldn't be cleaned enough to work well. The other, a part broke (and it was a fairly new one!).

Colorado's high country is afoul with giardia - one of the worst areas for it.

I was packing coffee filters and tying them onto my inlet. Slowed down the draw rate, but seemed to save my prefilter and thus my main filter. When I bought my Pur, I was mostly working with 12 and 13 year olds and the beefier handle seemed more durable than the MSR lever configuration. I understand the MSR pumps easier.