Santana to the Mets?

Fotop

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere here, but the short of it is the Mets are in pursuit of Santana for Deolis Guerra, Carlos Gomez, Kevin Mulvey, and Phil Humber. Apparently, the Twins say it would be a done deal if they tossed in Fernando Martinez.

That's a ton to give up...but it is Santana. You could assume that with the core players the Mets have (Reyes, Wright, Beltran, and Santana), they'd be relatively young enough (and have enough money) to live through a depleted farm system for a couple years. I also think they have quite a few high round draft picks (3 or so in the first 2 rounds).

Text:

Yankees ... Red Sox ... or maybe the Mets

The less talked-about team from New York might be a better match for the Twins in Johan Santana trade talks.

By Joe Christensen, Star Tribune

Last update: January 10, 2008 - 12:00 AM

Print this storyPrint this story

E-mail this storyE-mail this story

Save to del.icio.usSave to del.icio.us

Share on newsvineShare on newsvine

Share on DiggShare on Digg

Related Content

* Clemens hearing is postponed

More from Twins

* Clemens' accuser meets with prosecutors

* Mitchell says no to releasing evidence

* Gossage can see why some use steroids

* House panel postpones Clemens hearing

* Gossage can see why some use steroids

After weeks of speculation that the Yankees and Red Sox were the two favorites to land Johan Santana, the Twins could wind up shipping him to the Mets.

Ultimately, the Mets might be the best fit.

They have the greatest need. They have the money to sign Santana. And they play in the National League, where he's less likely to haunt the Twins.

The players the Mets would send the Twins aren't household names. There's no Jose Reyes or David Wright. The offers aren't perfect.

But it's become abundantly clear the Twins won't be able to make the perfect trade here. Not for a two-time Cy Young winner. Not for a lefthander who is 93-44 for his career and won't turn 29 until March.

No team is going to give the Twins everything they need when that team must turn around and hand Santana a five- or six-year contract extension worth at least $20 million per year.

According to people with knowledge of the discussions, the Mets have offered top pitching prospect Deolis Guerra, along with center fielder Carlos Gomez and pitchers Kevin Mulvey and Phil Humber.

The Twins like those players. They've told the Mets they'd have a done deal if New York would add prized outfield prospect Fernando Martinez.

Even then, it wouldn't be a perfect trade.

It would give the Twins a big stack of potential, with few guarantees. Consider:

• Gomez, 22, could step in as the Twins' everyday center fielder next year. He is faster than Jose Reyes, the All-Star shortstop the Mets have made untouchable. But scouts say Gomez also has trouble hitting a slider. In four minor league seasons, he has 250 strikeouts in 1,251 at-bats and a meager .336 on-base percentage.

• Guerra is a 6-5 righthander who signed with the Mets out of Venezuela for $700,000 in 2006. He pitched in the Class A Florida State League last season and posted a 4.01 ERA -- at age 18.

• Martinez was recently named the Mets' top prospect by Baseball America. Guerra was No. 2. While scouts are skeptical about Gomez's ability to hit, they are more confident in Martinez, who climbed to Class AA last year at age 18.

• Mulvey, 22, and Humber, 25, are both considered prospects, though neither currently projects better than a No. 4 starter.

That's a problem.

The Twins already have bid goodbye to Matt Garza and Carlos Silva this offseason. If they subtract Santana, the remaining starters would be Scott Baker, Boof Bonser, Kevin Slowey, Glen Perkins, Nick Blackburn and Francisco Liriano, who is coming off elbow surgery.

"There's no question our starting pitching is going to be very young," General Manager Bill Smith said Wednesday. "We've lost two good guys, and we certainly have our eyes open looking for starting pitching."

The Yankees have offered one of the game's top pitching prospects in Phil Hughes. Beyond him, however, the Twins aren't so sure.

They wonder if center fielder Melky Cabrera would struggle when taken out of the Yankees lineup. He'd probably be pitched to differently, which could cause him to struggle.

The Red Sox have offered lefthander Jon Lester and center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury. But not in the same deal.

The Twins like infield prospect Jed Lowrie, who has been offered in both proposals. Again, these offers would address one need -- adding position prospects or a quality starting pitcher -- not both.

For now, this remains one big staring match. The Twins are waiting for some team to blink. In the end, it just might be the Mets.

Link

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Jan 10, 2008 -> 11:43 PM)
I couldn't begin to imagine what Santana would be capable of in the NL.

It's f***ing scary just to think about. Hopefully the Mets do get him. I love seeing him pitch, but never against us again. Let that be the NL's problem. IMO, the Mets will be instant favorites to go very, very far. I'll say this, more than likely the Twins will have two studs (Guerra, Martinez) that will be damn good in the future and I like Gomez alot (he just needs experience.) Hopefully the Mets get this done one way or another.

This move would make the NL a whole lot stronger considering the strength of the NL West. The NL Central may not have a team over.500 as I do not think a single one would be over .450 playing outside of the division.

The landscape of baseball is odd in that teams are focusing on youth yet there are teams giving up half a farm system for one player.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jan 11, 2008 -> 08:12 AM)
A few weeks ago I had heard on one of the talk shows that the Twins would prefer to deal him to the NL, just less haunting potential there.

I totally agree with sending him to the NL and forgetting about him (unless there was a series against the Mets in interleague play of course), but I would love to see the Twins have to face him just once, and see all of their hitters flail around against him like everyone else.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jan 11, 2008 -> 12:11 AM)
It's f***ing scary just to think about. Hopefully the Mets do get him. I love seeing him pitch, but never against us again. Let that be the NL's problem. IMO, the Mets will be instant favorites to go very, very far. I'll say this, more than likely the Twins will have two studs (Guerra, Martinez) that will be damn good in the future and I like Gomez alot (he just needs experience.) Hopefully the Mets get this done one way or another.

Agreed 100%.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jan 11, 2008 -> 12:11 AM)

That and the Phillies and Braves (perhaps the two next best offensive teams in the NL after the Mets) aren't any good vs LHP (Phillies 26-26 vs LHP, 63-47 vs RHP...Braves 32-32 vs LHP, 52-46 vs RHP). Santana might only lose 2-3 games within the division.

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Jan 10, 2008 -> 11:43 PM)
I couldn't begin to imagine what Santana would be capable of in the NL.

Hopefully he can shut down the Cubs in the playoffs next year. I hate to predict the Cub will be there, but the only team that might be able to stop that is Miwaukee.

Bob

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 08:35 PM)
Hopefully he can shut down the Cubs in the playoffs next year. I hate to predict the Cub will be there, but the only team that might be able to stop that is Miwaukee.

Bob

IMO, the NL Central still looks pretty much wide open to me. There's no really good team standing out, and a bunch of teams that could be average.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 14, 2008 -> 10:58 AM)
IMO, the NL Central still looks pretty much wide open to me. There's no really good team standing out, and a bunch of teams that could be average.

It's not wide-open at all IMO. The Cubs will win it by about 5-7 games over the Brewers (who could win the Wild Card) with the Cards/Stros/Pirates/Reds all helping to pad the Cubs/Brewers records.

That's an awful division.