Brewers reportedly sign Mike Cameron

iamshack

Free-agent center fielder Mike Cameron has reached preliminary agreement with the Brewers on a one-year contract with a club option for 2009, according to major-league sources.

The deal is pending a physical.

The Yankees had aggressively pursued Cameron, but their decision to pass on him indicates that they are still considering a trade for Twins left-hander Johan Santana. They were not willing to absorb the salaries of both Cameron and Santana, sources say.

The addition of Cameron likely will result in the Brewers moving Bill Hall to third base and Ryan Braun to left field.

Cameron, 35, will miss the first 25 games next season while serving a suspension for testing positive for a banned stimulant.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7663966

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2008 -> 02:44 PM)
That makes no sense at all. The Yankees were pursuing Cameron, but didn't want to pony up for both Cameron and Santana? What, is Cameron getting $20 million next year? Whoever wrote that is just off their rocker.

lol, that was my exact reaction. Wouldn't Santana be making something reasonable next year anyway? Any extension should kick in at the start of '09

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jan 11, 2008 -> 01:04 PM)
lol, that was my exact reaction. Wouldn't Santana be making something reasonable next year anyway? Any extension should kick in at the start of '09

Presumably they'd tear up whatever Contract Santana had for 08 as motivation to get him to sign the extension early without testing the market.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 11, 2008 -> 02:19 PM)
Kudos to Milwaukee -- that's a move that will improve their defense and add a decent bat. A one-year deal with a club option would've been the PERFECT move for the Sox, but I digress.

I disagree. The one thing club doesn't need is a guy who strikes out alot. We have enough trouble with that. I love his defense but he is not a good fit for the club.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jan 11, 2008 -> 01:25 PM)
I disagree. The one thing club doesn't need is a guy who strikes out alot. We have enough trouble with that. I love his defense but he is not a good fit for the club.

Anything that improves Milwuakee's defense is a good thing for them. Especially if it allows them to move Braun away from 3rd base, and it'd be even better for them if moving Hall away from CF helped him recover his former form with the bat.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jan 11, 2008 -> 03:25 PM)

What we have (had) trouble with is guys that don't walk, and thus don't get on base enough. Uribe, Crede, AJ, Erstad, virtually every bench player of the last couple years except Mackowiak. Cameron walks. Would have put up some impressive slugging coming from Petco to Cellular, in my opinion.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jan 11, 2008 -> 09:25 PM)

You're looking at what he can't do rather than what he can do, which is run the bases extremely well (I believe he rated very highly according to Bill James, which encapsulates more than just stolen bases), plays above average (albeit declining) defense and hits well for a CFer. This contract is also nice in case Balta is right and Cameron tests postive again -- the club option for next year is another nice perk for the Brewers.

And yes, that is a tough lineup, except for catcher. And if Kendall can hit like he did with the Cubs (.362 OBP, albeit in less than 200 ABs), that's not a terrible "worst hitter" to have in your lineup.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 11, 2008 -> 04:26 PM)
You're looking at what he can't do rather than what he can do, which is run the bases extremely well (I believe he rated very highly according to Bill James, which encapsulates more than just stolen bases), plays above average (albeit declining) defense and hits well for a CFer. This contract is also nice in case Balta is right and Cameron tests postive again -- the club option for next year is another nice perk for the Brewers.

And yes, that is a tough lineup, except for catcher. And if Kendall can hit like he did with the Cubs (.362 OBP, albeit in less than 200 ABs), that's not a terrible "worst hitter" to have in your lineup.

I see everyone's point on here and agree that he fits in with the Brewers. He is also a great guy and good for the clubhouse. I just think in the WS lineup the negatives outweight the positives. I would rather give the playing time to Quentin.

Also, remember his suspension was for stimulants not steroids so hopefully they can keep him out of the leaded coffee. He just needs to pound the red bull at the end of the season to keep the motor going as opposed to hitting the amphetamines. His defense at the end of the season may falter without them.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jan 11, 2008 -> 06:43 PM)
I see everyone's point on here and agree that he fits in with the Brewers. He is also a great guy and good for the clubhouse. I just think in the WS lineup the negatives outweight the positives. I would rather give the playing time to Quentin.

Also, remember his suspension was for stimulants not steroids so hopefully they can keep him out of the leaded coffee. He just needs to pound the red bull at the end of the season to keep the motor going as opposed to hitting the amphetamines. His defense at the end of the season may falter without them.

Eh this isn't that great of a signing.

Cam will be in CF 25 games in....my guess is that Gwynn Jr will man CF until then. Bill Hall is below average at 3B- an upgrade over Braun- but below average at 3B.

Why the Brewers wouldn't deal Hall for Crede is beyond me.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2008 -> 06:54 PM)
Because right now Joe Crede is worth less than zero to most teams?

Bill Hall can't be worth much more to the Brewers at over 6 mil a pop for the next three season playing out of position. Maybe he's Ricky Weeks' insurance policy at 2B at the end of the day.

If the WSox would've been willing to pick up a chunk of Joe-C's contract (who knows maybe they weren't) I don't see how the Brewers wouldn't have jumped all over that.

Either way, playing Hall at 3B is dumb.

Per Rotoworld:

Mike Cameron is expected to be guaranteed just over $6 million under the terms of his one-year deal with the Brewers.

The agreement is pending a physical and probably won't be announced today. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that Cameron will receive a $1.25 million signing bonus, a $5 million salary and either $10 million or a $750,000 buyout in 2009. However, since he won't collect a paycheck while suspended for the first 25 games of the season, his actual salary for 2008 will come in at just over $4.2 million.

So he makes $5.45 million in 08. Wow. That is, like, not a lot.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Jan 11, 2008 -> 04:17 PM)
That is a pretty impressive lineup in Milwaukee now. Fielder, Braun, Cameron, Weeks, Hall, Hart, Hardy. All of them should be from above-average to spectacular.

Agreed.

If they can catch the ball at all, and if their pitching can stay any kind of healthy, they can make some serious noise.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jan 12, 2008 -> 12:54 PM)
If this A) helps the Brewers win the NL Central, and B ) helps keep the Cubs out of the playoffs ... Welcome to Milwaukee and the NL, where you will see Jon Rauch this year but not Jim Parque.

Mike Cameron has spent the last 4 years of his career in the National League and since hitting that homerun off Rauch 5 years ago he's 0 for 4 against him with 2 Ks.

I hope the Brewers can pull it off this year, they just ran out of gas at the end of the year. A veteran like Cameron will be a good influence on the younger guys, and man, the Brewers have some talented youngsters. I always wanted more from Mike, i knew he was a decnt player, but in his time with the sox, i always wanted more, in my mind, what he did was never good enough.

QUOTE(Heartattack19 @ Jan 15, 2008 -> 04:13 PM)
I always wanted more from Mike, i knew he was a decnt player, but in his time with the sox, i always wanted more, in my mind, what he did was never good enough.

Well, since he was the one traded away to bring Paulie here, I would say he did enough. ;)