2008 AL Central Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looking at home and away winning percentages and strength of schedule, the Sox are on pace for about 96 wins if everything stays at its current rate. They have won 71.1% of their home games with 36 remaining and 45.7% of their away games with 35 remaining. Their remaining overall SoS is .505. PECOTA has us projected at 91 wins.

The Twins have won 64% of their home games with only 31 remaining and 45.2% of their away games with 39 remaining. Their remaining SoS is .495. That equates to about 89 wins. PECOTA has the Twins projected at 83 wins.

Odds are both teams will fall somewhere in between these projections. That puts the Sox at a minimum of 91 wins and the Twins at no more than 89 wins. Again just projections, but it is nice to be on the top end.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 12, 2008 -> 05:55 PM)
Joe Nathan deserves Cy Young consideration.

Absolutely. He gets recognition but is still underrated. He is right behind Rivera, IMO.

I also don't think Detroit is a real threat at this point. Their pitching is just going to be far too inconsistent and they've found out how old their offense actually is this season. They'll be a team you don't want to face down the stretch, but I see them at or around .500 at the end of the season, and it's probably going to take 90-94 wins to take the Central.

I swear, if Minny pulls out another 1-run victory, I will be so pissed. Right now, 2-2 in the 5th. God I hate the Twins. Supremely untalented except for a few spots, but they never suck and are never going to be in the dumps with the scouting they have and the organizational methods.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 12, 2008 -> 10:07 PM)
I also don't think Detroit is a real threat at this point. Their pitching is just going to be far too inconsistent and they've found out how old their offense actually is this season. They'll be a team you don't want to face down the stretch, but I see them at or around .500 at the end of the season, and it's probably going to take 90-94 wins to take the Central.

Detroit is a .500 team.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 12, 2008 -> 09:07 PM)

I can agree with that

Also something that is hurting Detroit is their defense. except for Polonco, it seems like no one in the infield or outfield is a really good defender this year.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 13, 2008 -> 01:25 PM)
I swear, if Minny pulls out another 1-run victory, I will be so pissed. Right now, 2-2 in the 5th. God I hate the Twins. Supremely untalented except for a few spots, but they never suck and are never going to be in the dumps with the scouting they have and the organizational methods.

Lol these guys just won't go away. They always play the game right, but their starting pitching has been so been so surprising thus far. I wouldn't have ever thought their young starters would do this good this early.

Francisco Liriano's agent has contacted the players' association about pursuing a grievance against the Twins for not promoting him.

Perhaps Liriano has himself stashed away in his fantasy league. He is 7-0 with a 2.73 ERA in his last nine starts at Triple-A, and his fastball is consistently in the mid-90s and touching 97. He is claiming that the Twins are purposely keeping him in the minors to limit his major league service time and thus his arbitration eligibility. Livan Hernandez has a 7.28 ERA in his past ten starts, but he's also owed $5 million this season. Liriano could have major league service time added to his total if he wins. Jul. 17 - 2:12 pm et

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 03:08 PM)
link?

It's rotoworld.

From what I've read, Liriano should have passed the super-2 deadline by now, and if I'm the Twins, I do want to see more than a handful of solid outings before calling him back up (maybe not 9, but 6 or 7, anyway). I'm not really buying the service-time argument for why he's still in AAA.