2008 AL Central Catch-All Thread

knightni

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 10:19 AM)
Outscored 44-15 in the first 7 games, averaging just over 2 runs a game...

Say what you want about "its still early" blah blah, there are some pretty obvious gaping holes in the 2008 Detroit Tigers.

Reminds me alot of us last year, saying the big bats will come around but they never did. Granted they have a crapload more talent then we did, but their pitching will bring them down much like what happened to us.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody else already feeling the pain in our asses that will be the Royals all year?

I've been saying "the Royals are gonna be a lot better next year" for the last 3 years or so and I'm afraid I might be right this time.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 04:41 PM)
Anybody else already feeling the pain in our asses that will be the Royals all year?

I've been saying "the Royals are gonna be a lot better next year" for the last 3 years or so and I'm afraid I might be right this time.

Yes

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 06:12 PM)
So, what's wrong with C.C.?

Maybe he is one of those guys that buckles under the pressure of an impending contract? Maybe his knees are buckling under his imposing weight? It doesnt seem like he has lost velocity, but he has really lost his control, so he is all over the zone and getting lit up when he finally comes to the plate.

Isnt he a notoriously slow starter though?

Boy, Jeff Mathis is putting on a show today:

Top 7th: LA Angels

- J. Mathis homered to deep left, J. Rivera scored

Top 3rd: LA Angels

- J. Mathis doubled to right center, J. Mathis and E. Aybar scored

Top 5th: LA Angels

- J. Mathis doubled to deep right, V. Guerrero scored, G. Anderson to third

- J. Mathis singled to left, G. Anderson scored, H. Kendrick to third

Top 6th: LA Angels

- J. Mathis singled to center, J. Mathis scored, E. Aybar to second

- J. Mathis singled to center, C. Figgins and E. Aybar scored

Bot 6th: Seattle

- J. Mathis singled to right, J. Lopez scored, R. Sexson to third, J. Vidro to second

- J. Mathis grounded out to shortstop, R. Sexson scored, J. Vidro to third, G. Norton to second

Top 7th: LA Angels

- J. Mathis reached on fielder's choice, M. Izturis scored

- J. Mathis homered to deep left, J. Rivera scored

per yahoo. :lolhitting

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 05:24 PM)
Boy, Jeff Mathis is putting on a show today:

per yahoo. :lolhitting

I like the part where he gets a single and drives himself in. Now that is a special player.

- J. Mathis singled to center, J. Mathis scored,

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 04:01 PM)
Didn't look too good, which is good news for the AL.

I thought he was 'ok'. You could tell he was rusty. Nothing was hit real hard off him, the hits mostly come from the Royals hitting the ball in the gaps in teh Twins defense.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 08:12 PM)
Granted it was ESPNEWS, but they showed the gun and he never got above 90. I assume as he builds up more strength a few miles could come back, but he was at 96-97 pre TJS.

Isn't it true that once some pitchers are fully recovered from Tommy John surgery they can actually have more velocity?

Granted it was ESPNEWS, but they showed the gun and he never got above 90. I assume as he builds up more strength a few miles could come back, but he was at 96-97 pre TJS.

from Mondays AaronGleeman.com post

Of course, that's a moot point for now, because Liriano didn't come close to throwing his pitches as well as he did in 2006. His 2006 fastball averaged 94.7 miles per hour, but he reached 94 with just one pitch yesterday, threw nearly one-third of his fastballs in the 80s, and averaged 90.2. His 2006 slider averaged 87.7 MPH, but he never topped 82 with it yesterday and averaged 80.7. His 2006 changeup averaged 83.5 MPH, but was exclusively in the 77-81 range yesterday while averaging 79.2.

Now, it was cold in Kansas City yesterday and it's certainly not uncommon for pitchers to experience an initial drop in velocity after Tommy John surgery, so there's little reason for significant concern following one outing. With that said, it's noteworthy that regardless of which pitch Liriano threw his velocity was down between 5-7 percent from 2006. The difference between a 94.7 MPH fastball and a 90.2 MPH fastball is massive, and yesterday's slider barely resembled the overpowering pitch from 2006.

http://www.aarongleeman.com/

Edited by Benchwarmerjim