Way to go Alaskan fish factory...

sox4lifeinPA

Link

KODIAK, Alaska - At least 19 bald eagles died Friday after gorging themselves on a truck full of fish waste outside a processing plant.

Fifty or more eagles swarmed into the truck, whose retractable fabric cover was open, after the truck was moved outside the plant, said Brandon Saito, a biologist with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service who coordinated the recovery operation.

The birds became too soiled to fly or clean themselves, and with temperatures in the mid-teens, began to succumb to the cold. Some birds became so weak they sank into the fish slime and were crushed.

nice going.

Now if this was a fat guy who gorged himself to death eating crab legs and shrimp at a Chinese buffet, I thnk the blame would be going towards the eater. If the birds were too stupid to know when to stop eating, they were not long for this world anyway. However, you are right, the fish plant should have known it would attract bird. Too bad it wasn't seagulls that died. They are just rats with wings anyway.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Jan 12, 2008 -> 02:06 PM)
Now if this was a fat guy who gorged himself to death eating crab legs and shrimp at a Chinese buffet, I thnk the blame would be going towards the eater. If the birds were too stupid to know when to stop eating, they were not long for this world anyway. However, you are right, the fish plant should have known it would attract bird. Too bad it wasn't seagulls that died. They are just rats with wings anyway.

I'm no "FlasoxxJim" but I'm pretty sure birds don't have the "I'm full" feeling us "normal" animals have...

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Jan 12, 2008 -> 02:15 PM)
I'm no "FlasoxxJim" but I'm pretty sure birds don't have the "I'm full" feeling us "normal" animals have...

I'm a little bit FlasoxxJim (and a little bit Rock and Roll), and certainly birds have a satiation ("I'm full") response. I think the bit about the animals "gorging" themselves in the story is a little misleading. In reading the story, I think the birds just got all gunked up in the soupy processing wastes and either sunk into the stuff or succumbed to cold because they couldn't fluff their feathers.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 12, 2008 -> 02:24 PM)
I'm a little bit FlasoxxJim (and a little bit Rock and Roll), and certainly birds have a satiation ("I'm full") response. I think the bit about the animals "gorging" themselves in the story is a little misleading. In reading the story, I think the birds just got all gunked up in the soupy processing wastes and either sunk into the stuff or succumbed to cold because they couldn't fluff their feathers.

I was just trying to make myself feel better by thinking I wasn't the only one gorging.....

thanks as always, Jim :)

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 12, 2008 -> 01:24 PM)

I was leaving it all up to you ;)

That makes a little more sense. I thought fish could eat themselves to death, but had never heard of birds doing it. I think my dog tried to do that one year, when she managed to snag a 5lb ham off the dinner table.

Ummm...ewwwwwwwwwwwww....