Least favorite Sox players

Marky Mark

How come anyone isnt saying Paul Konerko. When I joined this board early in 2005 everyone on this board seemed to hate him. He is a selfish scumbag...right?

this isn't WSI

Is the Erstad hate really a hate of Darin as a person/player or a hate of our management's decision to play him everyday? I believe I read the Erstads did a lot of community things whilst in Chicago; with Mrs. Erstad working with Mrs. Thome.

We knew he'd be a failure. He knew what was going on in CF when he signed here. He's still living off 2000. he's still living off being a "grinder" and getting hurt as if it's a good thing. His toughness is also linked to his college days as a freaking punter.

Edited by santo=dorf

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan Pasqua-That taped wrist- Totally Worthless in 93 ALCS.

Danny Wright: Posterboy of the 5th starter blackhole from 01-04. See Jon Rauch/ Felix Diaz/ Cotts in Yankee Stadium during the 03 division race.

Darrin Erstad: At least he tried

David Wells: Living Off the NY Media Market

Robby Alomar-Totally Washed Up Both Times Sox Acquired Him

Rocky Biddle-For having to listen to Hawk pronounce his name alone.

Scott Ruffcorn-Uber Bust

Steve Sax-(See Robby Alomar)

Lyle Mouton-The Bounty for Trading Black Jack

Rob Dibble- Hate His Dumb Jock Routine Even More Now

Carlton Fisk to a degree; 11seasons w Bosox & 13 w/ WhiteSox & he goes into HOF as Red Sox; True he was born in Vermont, but doesn't he live in Chicago year around since 81? borderline treasonous.

Darryl Boston: A poorman's Michael Tucker

Billy Koch; Probably a juice guy; fastball lost a yard after he came over for Foulke

Steve (Psycho) Lyons: (See Dibble)

Tony Castillo: the anti LOOGY

Honorable Mention: Melido Perez: Vance Law

managed by Terry Bevington. Piddled away wild card in 96.

I've been seriously watching the sox for the past 7 years and the only players that come to mind are Brian Anderson (even though he swung a haymaker at those bums), and Frank Thomas, but that may be just me, because i'm a kenny williams supporter.

Terry Bevington and Jaime Navarro were the only 2 White Sox that I have ever totally despised. There have been lots of players I didn't think were any good and wanted traded, but they really didn't affect my blood pressure like the 2 guys mentioned. I must say I am totally shocked Juan Uribe has only 1 mention.

Terry Bevington and Jaime Navarro were the only 2 White Sox that I have ever totally despised. There have been lots of players I didn't think were any good and wanted traded, but they really didn't affect my blood pressure like the 2 guys mentioned. I must say I am totally shocked Juan Uribe has only 1 mention.

aBQG3gYd.jpg

-Mike Jackson. Who remembers him from '04, I think? Such a waste of roster space.

-Jose Paniagua. He lost us the division in '03 and I'm still sticking to that story.

-Matt Thornton. It seemed like EVERY game I went to last season, he surrendered the game winning run. Every game.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 02:06 PM)
Without question Billy Koch. I HATED him. It's almost as if he embodied everything wrong with our ballclub. Most notably, failed expectations. And when people would say, "he's a terrible pitcher, but a great guy," it'd make me hate him even more.

I hear you on that one Flash. I am not trying to be friends with these guys- I just want them to be good players. I hate when people tell me that a guy is a good guy so I should lay off of him, forget that.

Interesting to see the two different types of players mentioned - players who were bad/disappointing, versus players who were jerks. Seems like there are two different perspectives of fans about what "least favorite". I personally never hate any hatred for guys like Gonzalez, for example. If he's bad and he's playing bad, because he just isn't good enough... then that falls on the organization, the coaches or just circumstance, in my view. On the other hand, players who have the skills but just don't seem to make the effort and/or treat the fans like crap... those are the guys who I blame directly.

And how the heck can people have Carlton Fisk as a least favorite player?!

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 03:37 PM)
how the heck can people have Carlton Fisk as a least favorite player?!

Because at times he was known for being very insular, abrasive and oblivious to fans whenever he was away from the field.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 12:37 PM)
More like, how the hell could any White Sox fan possibly like the man?

Because the guy whose name is in your handle credits Wells for much of his development as a Major League pitcher, and even spoke to him after throwing his no-no?

Maybe the guy is a douche, but if he indeed helped Mark become the pitcher he is today then his tenure here was definitely a positive.

Non-players should be included here, too.

I can't hate anyone who helped us win in 2005 (like Pods, Uribe), nor can I hate someone who may have had a sucky attitude but performed on the field (Belle). I can't hate someone who sucked one year but was good to great for the majority of his tenure (Marte), or someone who sucked in a season where we were going nowhere regardless (Andy Gonzalez), or someone who just plain sucked but only lasted for a relatively short period of time (like Rick White).

Jaime Navarro and Terry Bevington HAVE to take the cake for me. Second to that, not in hate territory but in "you-usually-piss-me-off" territory, is Reinsdorf for not spending money on the draft since Borchard and refusing to deal with Borass clients. Third is Ozzie for his inability to focus on the game and act like a professional off the field during tough stretches, as well as his inconsistent bullpen management and reliance upon grinderball.