Cloverfield thread

knightni

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay.

I just got back from it.

I was pretty close in my guesses. But, I didn't see a direct Slusho/Monster connection because I think the viral marketing was supposed to give you background

before the movie. I was pretty prepared for the whole thing except when the thing lunges through the smoke and downs the helicopter. I went, "s***!" in the theater then. lol

Yeah, we're all recovering from headaches due to the filming style.

I'd give it 3 stars out of 5.

It was a solid movie film because of the grandeur of it all.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 18, 2008 -> 06:16 PM)
Okay.

I just got back from it.

I was pretty close in my guesses. But, I didn't see a direct Slusho/Monster connection because I think the viral marketing was supposed to give you background

before the movie. I was pretty prepared for the whole thing except when the thing lunges through the smoke and downs the helicopter. I went, "s***!" in the theater then. lol

Yeah, we're all recovering from headaches due to the filming style.

I'd give it 3 stars out of 5.

It was a solid movie film because of the grandeur of it all.

Lol really that scene surprised you. I thought it was sooo predictable and dumb at the same time. It was completely and should have been avoidable in real life which makes it all the more annoying.

QUOTE(shipps @ Jan 18, 2008 -> 07:27 PM)
For those that have seen it,did it really need the special marketing?

Yes.

It set up the movie. In order for anyone to have any idea what was going on, they had to set the plot up pre-movie. It couldn't have been explained honestly using the film style that they used.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jan 18, 2008 -> 08:16 PM)
Did anybody see anything out of the ordinary in the final Coney Island scene?

Quote by someone on another site:

"The dude behind me swore that in the last bit of film with Rob and Beth at Coney Island you can see something fall out of the sky and into the ocean. I missed it, and so did everyone else around us it seemed. Did you catch that?"

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jan 18, 2008 -> 07:32 PM)
What state did Twister take place in?

Kansas I think.

Idaho adjoins Yellowstone Park, which contains one of the largest volcanic calderas in the world. That caldera is attached to the mountain chain that runs through Idaho.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 18, 2008 -> 07:22 PM)
Quote by someone on another site:

"The dude behind me swore that in the last bit of film with Rob and Beth at Coney Island you can see something fall out of the sky and into the ocean. I missed it, and so did everyone else around us it seemed. Did you catch that?"

The guy is right, I went and just saw it for the second time today JUST to confirm that.. and yes, it happens

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 18, 2008 -> 07:25 PM)
Lol really that scene surprised you. I thought it was sooo predictable and dumb at the same time. It was completely and should have been avoidable in real life which makes it all the more annoying.

Yes.

The main character was a dumbass.

It was a 25 million dollar morality play that supported Darwinism.

I've been thinking more about if this film needed all of the marketing and publicity stunt type of stuff over the past few months, and I have come to the realization that if this film was to work 100% perfect, then you would have go into knowing nothing. Same way that Blair Witch worked best on those who knew nothing about it. Cloverfield benefits better though in the ways that it is still an exciting film, and BIG monsters are just fun to have around. But IMO this film would work best with NO knowledge of it at all. You learn as the cast does, and you enjoy their confusion also.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jan 18, 2008 -> 10:59 PM)
I've been thinking more about if this film needed all of the marketing and publicity stunt type of stuff over the past few months, and I have come to the realization that if this film was to work 100% perfect, then you would have go into knowing nothing. Same way that Blair Witch worked best on those who knew nothing about it. Cloverfield benefits better though in the ways that it is still an exciting film, and BIG monsters are just fun to have around. But IMO this film would work best with NO knowledge of it at all. You learn as the cast does, and you enjoy their confusion also.

That might be a good idea..

All I know is I love monster movies, especially these kinds, and I was DYING to see this from the moment I saw the trailer.. I saw it twice today, and Ill prolly end up seeing it a few more times.. I loved it

I'd like to know how a college student/young adult can afford a handicam with

that clear of a picture that has a powerful light and nightvision, a super battery, can be dropped from up to 100 feet in the air, and be exposed to a thousand degrees of heat from large bombs and survive.

By suspending belief I suppose.

:P

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 18, 2008 -> 11:03 PM)

I'd like to know how a college student/young adult can afford a handicam with

that clear of a picture that has a powerful light and nightvision, a super battery, can be dropped from up to 100 feet in the air, and be exposed to a thousand degrees of heat from large bombs and survive.

By suspending belief I suppose.

:P

It's a movie!

If you want to question that, you've got question why they would have even been allowed to film when the military was around...they would have taken that thing and chucked it or smashed it.

I thought this was one of the most fun movie experiences I've ever had in the theater. I wasn't overly impressed with the monster or anything but it was just so damn thrilling, and the love story intertwined into the film worked too. Very well done.

10/10 for now, but we'll see how it holds up in further viewings. Great stuff.

Oh, and I wish I had seen this apparent splash at the end. I was actually looking at the water for something to happen there, but I didn't catch anything. This whole part kinda reminds me of The Sopranos ending. People claiming they saw Meadow...

Edited by KipWellsFan

I saw it earlier today .. I am in between on it cause I didnt expect the ending to just end like that ... I mean it may have made sense to the movie, but i was locked in and ready for more and boom ... anyways I agree with Tony that subway scene woah

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 01:34 AM)
Oh, and I wish I had seen this apparent splash at the end. I was actually looking at the water for something to happen there, but I didn't catch anything. This whole part kinda reminds me of The Sopranos ending. People claiming they saw Meadow...

No, it does really happen.. I had to go back and see it again just to see this part..

If you pay close attention to the back right of the ocean you can see it fall from the sky and into the ocean..