Report: Cubs sign Jon Lieber

The Critic

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jan 16, 2008 -> 12:07 PM)
Rosenthal reports:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7683658...3162&ATT=49

I guess it's a decent gamble for them - if he's bad, he still would probably only be as bad as Jason Marquis or Ryan Dempster would.

levine reported it on espn1000 too.... hopefully if the sox do sign colon its to a cheap 1 year deal like this

QUOTE(The Beast @ Jan 16, 2008 -> 10:01 PM)
It would really make sense for the Sox to take a flier on Colon at the price Lieber is at. Isn't Colon younger and doesn't he have better numbers than Lieber? I may be wrong, but I'd gamble on Colon like the Cubs with Lieber.

According to Brrruuuuuce Levine the Sox are still considering Colon. I say it would be stupid not to 'consider' him. With Floyd out of options it is almost certain that he would make the rotation this year. I like Danks as our 6th starter and i think he can use some extra seasoning down in triple-a. See McCarthy of 2005- he started pleanty of times when El-duque took some time off for his shoulder problems. The signing of El-duque was a risk then and that paid off with McCarthy as the 6th starter. I think if Floyd can put up similar #s to El-duque in 2005 and if Colon needs time off to rest his arm you have Danks waiting in the wings. If i were KW i get this done. Sure he wont be able throw 98 mph anymore but if he can throw 91-94 and can mix that up with a decent change and curve ball he can still get the job done.

QUOTE(The Beast @ Jan 16, 2008 -> 02:01 PM)
It would really make sense for the Sox to take a flier on Colon at the price Lieber is at. Isn't Colon younger and doesn't he have better numbers than Lieber? I may be wrong, but I'd gamble on Colon like the Cubs with Lieber.

If Colon was willing to sign a 1 year, $3.5 million deal, I bet he'd have signed with a dozen teams by now.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jan 16, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)
Rosenthal reports:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7683658...3162&ATT=49

I guess it's a decent gamble for them - if he's bad, he still would probably only be as bad as Jason Marquis or Ryan Dempster would.

The Flubbies can have him....he'll get shelled at Wrigley.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 16, 2008 -> 05:20 PM)
If Colon was willing to sign a 1 year, $3.5 million deal, I bet he'd have signed with a dozen teams by now.

I'll bet he signs closer to that number than what he wanted to at the end of the day.

This is one thing that concerns me about Colon though... supposedly he isn't interested in a 1 year deal...given they are talking about the Nats here though.

Pitching and more pitching: The Nationals would love to have right-hander Bartolo Colon on their pitching staff, but they believe he would not accept a one-year deal. Colon had another injury-plagued season in which he went 6-8 with a 6.34 ERA with the Angels. Colon had right elbow and back problems.

I was a fan of Colon earlier in the winter, but really... Egbert probably has as good a shot (perhaps better) of putting up 150 innings of a 4.75 ERA. Heads' man-love aside, it should probably say a lot that with all the prospects traded over the past year (too many to count, but I'll give it a shot -- Cunningham, Carter, DLS, Gio, Sweeney... I imagine I'm leaving out someone minor?), Egbert is still here. Someone up there loves his groundballing abilities, decent control and (so long as this past year is for real) good k-rate.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jan 16, 2008 -> 05:14 PM)
If i were KW i get this done. Sure he wont be able throw 98 mph anymore but if he can throw 91-94 and can mix that up with a decent change and curve ball he can still get the job done.

I wasnt aware Colon had a curve, I know he has a cutter, a slider and a change.