Compulsions and Superstitions

shipps

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 20, 2008 -> 08:31 AM)
I can't put away a basketball without making the last shot, even if it's just a simple 360 roundhouse slam from the freethrow line, or a layup

I'm the same way and I've even instilled this in my son. With me, it's gotten to the point where I have to make at least a 20 footer and it has to be nothing but net.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha I have some really strange ones now that I think about it.

I also do the basketball thing, I need to make a shot before I get done shooting.

In softball when I'm on deck I have to rotate my left arm twice, my right arm twice, and take 2 practice swings.

I wish or pray at 11:11, mainly because I'm born on 11/11.

When I'm done watching TV I need to shut it off on a sports channel.

I never use the bottom step of stairs.

I don't like sitting in booths at restuarants.

I won't eat the last piece of food if there are others around.

I have to ride my bike everyday, it doesn't matter if it's cold or rainy, I've ridden it every day since May 28th, 2003. So it's a little more than a superstition I guess.

I always have to wear or at least bring a hat when I'm leaving the house.

I'm sure I have more, but these are the strange things I can think of right now.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 20, 2008 -> 09:58 PM)
When I eat a meal, I eat one thing at a time, in reverse order of how much I'm looking forward to eating it. I have always been given a hard time about eating things one at a time, but I really have never told anyone I'm eating with that there definitely is an order.

Holy s***, I do the exact same thing. I always get crap about it.

Another one off the top of my head is that the volume on the tv or radio has to be on an even number.

I do the same thing as some of you guys, eat things one at a time, I think it's actually called "shift eating", but I'm not sure on that. I always have to make sure all the doors in whatever building I'm in are locked (same goes for the car). It's a tradition I gained because only of my earliest memories is moving to the Northwest Suburbs and, in the process, going to the Brown's in Palatine not even a week before the massacre. I'm also really bad at arguments/disagreements with family or friends. A friend of mine lost a close friend of theirs who I did not know in HS, and it haunts her to this day they were in a fight when he passed away, so I try and always settle disagreements with friends or family as quickly as I can, and it always bothers me if my last convo with somebody I care about didn't go well or seem to go well.

- Money has to be facing the same way, and needs to be in order from singles up.

- Never finish a basketball game/baseball game without hitting a shot or throwing a strike.

- Double-locking the door before going to sleep.

- All DVDs/Video Games are in alphabetical order.

- Keep the computer on at night, but the monitor off.

- Cell phone only turned off in class.

- I haven't taken off my gold necklace with the Serbian Crest/Orthodox cross off since 2003.

- Blinds always need to be closed facing up.

- Hang my keys in the same spot every time I come inside.

- Never have any volume level on 13, ever.

- I check my e-mail as soon as I wake up, before every class, and before I go to sleep.

Basically the b-ball and door locked in bathroom already covered.

I gotta wash my hands for anything job/food/bathroom/party/whatever.

I always take a pack of gum (or buy one) when I'm going out.

Every time I wake up, I always have to pet my dog.

I always have to have a beer first when I'm at a party, or its bad luck.

There's others but can't think of them now. :lol:

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 21, 2008 -> 02:26 AM)
- Money has to be facing the same way, and needs to be in order from singles up.

- Never finish a basketball game/baseball game without hitting a shot or throwing a strike.

Those two things are both definite for me.

As far as others go:

- I always hit the "lock" button on my car twice to make sure it's locked.

- Can't really think right now, but there's definitely more.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 21, 2008 -> 01:26 AM)
- Money has to be facing the same way, and needs to be in order from singles up*.

- Double-locking the door before going to sleep.

- All DVDs/Video Games are in alphabetical order**.

- Keep the computer on at night, but the monitor off***.

- Cell phone only turned off in class.

- I haven't taken off my gold necklace with the Serbian Crest/Orthodox cross off since 2003.

- Blinds always need to be closed facing up.

- Hang my keys in the same spot every time I come inside.

- Never have any volume level on 13, ever.

- I check my e-mail as soon as I wake up, before every class, and before I go to sleep.

*Close, little money has to be facing big money or it's bad luck.

** Book are arranged by subject, then height.

*** Laptop to snooze and closed. I always close the screen.

Everytime I go into my finished basement, I open up a closet in the back where my sump pump is to check if the battery backup pump is functioning. After all the work I put in my basement I am afraid of the sump pump failure.

After using an Iron having to check like 5 times that I turned it off. Even though is shuts itself off.

Checking my cell phone for power and that its on before I got to bed. I never want to have it where my work cant get ahold of me in an emergency(pretty much on call all the time).

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Jan 20, 2008 -> 10:08 PM)
I dont know if this is a superstition but....every time I go up the stairs in my basement I run up because I feel somethings chasing me.

OMG same! It scares he s*** out of me when i walk out of my basement! My other thing is the whole locking doors when i go into a room alone.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 21, 2008 -> 08:40 AM)
Everytime I go into my finished basement, I open up a closet in the back where my sump pump is to check if the battery backup pump is functioning. After all the work I put in my basement I am afraid of the sump pump failure.

After using an Iron having to check like 5 times that I turned it off. Even though is shuts itself off.

Checking my cell phone for power and that its on before I got to bed. I never want to have it where my work cant get ahold of me in an emergency(pretty much on call all the time).

I've seen companies that have cheap monitoring for your back up pump. I use to sell parts to Glentronics in one of the suburbs. IIRC they had a little module that you run a wire from the battery and a little alarm would go off if the battery was failing or out of charge.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 21, 2008 -> 08:45 AM)
I've seen companies that have cheap monitoring for your back up pump. I use to sell parts to Glentronics in one of the suburbs. IIRC they had a little module that you run a wire from the battery and a little alarm would go off if the battery was failing or out of charge.

Thats not the problem. I bought the top of the line Basement Watchdog system. The damn thing runs a self test, tests the motor, has all sorts of audible alarms. The unit can run for 10 hours afterwards on battery and has a higher pump capacity than the primary. I even have both pumps on a APC battery backup system and I have the area rigged with an water alarm system for moisture that emails me. Trust me, my worry is foolish but I cant help myself. Something about looking at 7 green lights on the sump pump backup makes me feel better.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 21, 2008 -> 08:50 AM)
Thats not the problem. I bought the top of the line Basement Watchdog system. The damn thing runs a self test, tests the motor, has all sorts of audible alarms. The unit can run for 10 hours afterwards on battery and has a higher pump capacity than the primary. I even have both pumps on a APC battery backup system and I have the area rigged with an water alarm system for moisture that emails me. Trust me, my worry is foolish but I cant help myself. Something about looking at 7 green lights on the sump pump backup makes me feel better.

I had a tri-level in Wildwood that flooded, so trust me, I know the pain. Nothing worse than a flooded basement. I happened to be selling electronic parts when Allen Shulman started that company, good to hear he is still in business. Interesting guy. He was also doing some fishing features for Midwest Outdoors TV and I believe the magazine. He caught an at the time world record northern pike in Canada. Waaay more info than anyone wants to read :lol:

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 20, 2008 -> 10:58 PM)
When I eat a meal, I eat one thing at a time, in reverse order of how much I'm looking forward to eating it. I have always been given a hard time about eating things one at a time, but I really have never told anyone I'm eating with that there definitely is an order.

I do that a lot too... get the bad stuff out of the way.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 21, 2008 -> 10:16 AM)
It disturbs me that some people make their oatmeal with water instead of milk.

your compulsion is that you don't like people who follow directions?

that's not a compulsion...that just makes you an idiot :lol:

I kid because I can©

when i wash my hands after going to the bathroom i turn the faucet off with a washcloth that way i dont have to grip and turn off the knob that i previously had just touched with my pre-washed hand.

i also use a paper towel/my shirt to open a bathroom door in a public place.

i'm not really a germaphobe at all, these are just 2 isoldated things that for whatever reason i have to do

I have a bunch when I gamble and play golf.

Blackjack:

All chips need to be properly stacked in front of me. No different denominations mixed.

Second, and most important, the chip I put in the circle for the bet must be exactly in the middle of the circle. If it's not, I have to fix it. I have been reprimanded for this by dealers.

Poker:

I can't have the big ugly pile in the pot. I like everything organized.

Golf:

When I tee off, the Titelist or ball name, must face me and be upright, not upside down or anything.

When I putt, the name needs to be facing the hole.

I always wear a hat when I golf. On the front 9 it is on normally facing forward. As soon as I get to the 10th tee, I have to turn it around for the back 9.