Latest name on the steroid front? Magglio

WilliamTell

I heard on ABC radio news as I was heading into work that the NY Times is reporting that Jose Conseco agreed to keep Magglio's name out the steriod fiasco if Magglio would invest in some type of movie deal. In other words, blackmail. That's all I know at this point. Will add if I find anything more.

I don't know. I still remember when Ozzie said he could "F" him in so many ways if he wanted to. Did he clarify that statement?

This article doesn't convince me he was involved.

Edited by G&T

He always has been one of the rumors. Look at his body and performance. Fringe player in low minors and all of a sudden wins the batting title and takes off. None of it is hard evidence of course but he has always been one of the suspects. As has another former Sox outfielder who is from the West coast, is a gym fanatic and just signed a huge money deal in the offseason.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 07:54 AM)
He always has been one of the rumors. Look at his body and performance. Fringe player in low minors and all of a sudden wins the batting title and takes off. None of it is hard evidence of course but he has always been one of the suspects. As has another former Sox outfielder who is from the West coast, is a gym fanatic and just signed a huge money deal in the offseason.

I concur.

Canseco sought investment from Ordonez to keep name 'clear' in book

Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3211598

Updated: January 24, 2008, 9:52 AM ET

Comment

Email

Print

NEW YORK -- Jose Canseco offered to keep Magglio Ordonez "clear" in his upcoming book if the Detroit Tigers outfielder invested in a movie project promoted by Canseco, The New York Times reported Wednesday night.

The newspaper cited "a person in baseball with knowledge of the situation" in a report on its Web site and said four people in baseball, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Major League Baseball referred the matter to the FBI.

Ordonez decided not to go forward with a complaint, so the FBI didn't open a formal investigation, the newspaper said. Ordonez spoke to Tigers president Dave Dombrowski, who contacted MLB.

"I didn't want to press charges against him," Ordonez was quoted as saying. "I don't want any problems. He is probably desperate for money. I don't understand why he is trying to put people down."

Ordonez, teammates with Canseco on the 2001 Chicago White Sox, said Canseco didn't specifically ask him for cash.

"One of Jose's friends was leaving me messages," Ordonez was quoted as saying. "I told Dombrowski because I didn't know why he was calling me."

Canseco told the paper that neither he nor any associate asked Ordonez for money in exchange for avoiding mention in "Vindicated," which is scheduled for publication March 31.

"Absolutely not," Canseco was quoted as saying.

Canseco said he unsuccessfully attempted to reach Ordonez. Canseco refused to say whether he would implicate Ordonez with performance-enhancing drug use in the book.

Scott Boras, Ordonez's agent, filed a complaint with the FBI after Canseco spoke with a Boras employee and said Ordonez would be "clear" if the outfielder invested in the movie project, the newspaper said.

Last year, Canseco was reportedly trying to put together a movie based on "Juiced," his 2005 book that implicated Mark McGwire and Jason Giambi, among others, in the use of performance-enhancing drugs.

Ordonez was not implicated in the Mitchell report on drugs in baseball or in Canseco's first book.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Edited by RudyLawRules

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 08:27 AM)
I don't doubt he was using. For people to say this extortion by Canseco kills his credibility, well... I don't think it alters it. The guy's a sleezebag, but I don't think he's lying about players he implicates. OEEEEOO might have been on the juice.

Say all you want about Canseco, but he has been vindicated at just about every turn. Part of me is sad that Maggs was named, but I also see how he acted with his free agency, and it was apparent then that he would do whatever it takes, no matter what.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 09:11 AM)
Say all you want about Canseco, but he has been vindicated at just about every turn. Part of me is sad that Maggs was named, but I also see how he acted with his free agency, and it was apparent then that he would do whatever it takes, no matter what.

That's an interesting take on it, linking contract negotiations (financial gain) with steroids. I'm wondering how many did it for the money and how many did it for the inflated stats, fame, and winning.

Wouldn't Canseco's info on Maggs most likely be from his time with the White Sox in 2001? If he had this info, how come it wasn't in his first book? How come the ARod stuff wasn't in his first book. It seems to me his first book became justified, now he thinks he has credibility so he can throw a bunch of crap out there to see if it sticks, and the bigger the name, the more books sold, the more money he makes. It wouldn't surprise me if Maggs used something, but I could say that about hundreds of players. I just think Canseco blew his wad with the first book. This sequel would make me skeptical at best.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 02:56 PM)
One interesting thought that I just was reminded of... remember when Ozzie and Maggs went at it in the press, and Ozzie at one point said Maggs should shut his mouth or else?

Was this the "or else"?

If it is steroids, it will definitely make the White Sox look bad considering they offerred him an extension. Knowing he's juicing and offerring him big money anyway looks like looking the other way to me. Of course this is the organization that signed Canseco, had Schoenweiss receiving junk in the clubhouse, signed Montero even though he was busted for juicing and sucked, and still cling to hope Valido, another juicer develops, all while having many of their fans believe steroids have never invaded their clubhouse.

Edited by Dick Allen

I remember at the beginning of the 2005 season, Boers and Bernstein had KW on the radio. They go "I didn't know bone marrow edema in the knee caused your forearms to get significantly smaller". They were implying Ordonez was now off steroids, and KW laughed and said they better change the subject.