Kalapse

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 08:14 AM)

Lots of money to spend in 2010.

PS: it would be badass if someone with web-skills could turn this into an interactive website. The ability to plug-in names and figures to project signings and trades would be awesome.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

just looking at kalapses chart....we were at 99 mil....take away javys 11.5, swishers 5.3, add colons 1, add jenks 5.6...plus philly is still paying part of thome's salary....so we really do have a payroll at 85 mil right now

though i know we gave viciedo a 4 mil bonus, which obviously doesn't count toward payroll, but that money has to come from somewhere...along with the 2mil we paid for griffeys buyout

still, going from 110 to 85 is extremely significant and discouraging, especially given that we likely won't make any more moves of significance

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 08:32 AM)
just looking at kalapses chart....we were at 99 mil....take away javys 11.5, swishers 5.3, add colons 1, add jenks 5.6...plus philly is still paying part of thome's salary....so we really do have a payroll at 85 mil right now

though i know we gave viciedo a 4 mil bonus, which obviously doesn't count toward payroll, but that money has to come from somewhere...along with the 2mil we paid for griffeys buyout

still, going from 110 to 85 is extremely significant and discouraging, especially given that we likely won't make any more moves of significance

I don't know where it falls, but you can also add in the $5 million we spent to get out of our spring training agreement. In reality we are looking at just under $100 million in outlays this year.

Just as I was beginning to write a piece advocating the White Sox pick up a number a former All-Stars on minor league or near-league-minimum contracts, Freddy Garcia, the Sox second possible scrap heap pick-up for the rotation, has agreed to terms with the Mets. Garcia's deal is a minor league deal, which means it's non-guaranteed, but reportedly carries incentives which could raise his salary to near 8 figures.

A few days ago, I mentioned that I though Garcia was worth more than Bartolo Colon, as Garcia, a year off of shoulder surgery, figures to be a better injury risk than the perpetually injured Colon. That being said, I don't think the Sox could have matched the Mets offer even if they had offered him a guaranteed deal.

We have the Sox current '09 salary obligations at about $94MM right now, but that doesn't include the $4M signing bonus to Dayan Viciedo, the '09 buyout of Pablo Ozuna's contract (yeah, they still owe him), and the $3+MM or so which will be paid to the near-minimum guys. The Sox are looking at about a $100MM opening day payroll.

Kenny Williams has said the Sox were bumping against their "payroll ceiling" numerous times since November, and given their actions this off-season we have no reason not to believe him. It's my feeling, however, based on nothing other than my own intuitions, that the Sox have a little bit of wiggle room left. They were "in" on the Garcia derby, after all.

That wiggle room is probably no more than a million dollars or two, nothing in baseball terms, certainly not enough to sway the hubris of a former All-Star from a possible $9MM payout. But I had hoped it would be enough to entice some semi-interesting guys looking for work in a tough baseball (and world) economy.

Which brings me back to what I had intended to write about today. Thanks to the economy, there might not have been a better time in the free agent era to go dumpster diving. For let's say $2M, you might be able to pick up 3 or 4 down-and-out players who have significant upside. And in the AL Central where there's no clear favorite--I'd give the nod to Cleveland right now--it might be those pickups in the last month of free agency that make the difference.

From SouthSide Sox (Heads)

This is new/updated article also including Jenks' new one-year contract numbers...and maybe the ST relocation money earmarked is a factor, we can't really know unless someone asked KW/JR directly if this was the case.

Edited by caulfield12

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to update the graphic sometime in the next few days. I posted it in another thread but as of right now the Sox are responsible for $98,125,000. That includes all player salaries, contract buyouts (Griffey, Hall, etc.), the money from Cincinnati and Viciedo's signing bonus. That number only accounts for 15 players on the 40 man roster (16 total including MacDougal) and 14 that will be on the 25 man roster come opening day so you can add another 11 cheap players and ~$4.75M to it bringing the probable opening day payroll to $102,875,000.

Does MLB include those signing bonus numbers in their payrolls though, in terms of the official numbers?

I mean, Beckham's arguably closer to the big leagues than Viciedo and is 3 years older, and yet I've never heard of a player from the draft having his signing bonus included in the payroll the following season.

I guess it doesn't matter, if KW considers Viciedo to be making $5 million this year and to be essentially replacing Swisher...but then that money for 2010/11/12 would definitely shrink, along with losing Thome, Contreras, Dye and then Konerko the following year. That's $45-50 million for those four players, or half our current payroll.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 09:58 PM)
Does MLB include those signing bonus numbers in their payrolls though, in terms of the official numbers?

I mean, Beckham's arguably closer to the big leagues than Viciedo and is 3 years older, and yet I've never heard of a player from the draft having his signing bonus included in the payroll the following season.

I guess it doesn't matter, if KW considers Viciedo to be making $5 million this year and to be essentially replacing Swisher...but then that money for 2010/11/12 would definitely shrink, along with losing Thome, Contreras, Dye and then Konerko the following year. That's $45-50 million for those four players, or half our current payroll.

Viciedo signed a major league deal, Beckham did not. If Gordon Beckham had signed a major league deal after being drafted like Andrew Miller or Rick Porcello then his signing bonus would likely be included.

The guaranteed money goes from $98.125M this year to $41.2M next but that doesn't include Danks and Floyd who will both be arbitration eligible for the first time and Bobby Jenks who will likely make $10M+ if he has a decent 2009 season. In 2011 the Sox are responsible for $21.85M and only Viciedo's $2.5M salary is on the books for 2012.

Do you really think Jenks could jump to that high a number in 2010? From between $5-6 million this year...I know Ryan Howard got a ton of money, but I can't imagine the White Sox having much interest in paying any closer $10 million per season. I would think $7-9 million would be more realistic, but I haven't studied recent jumps from year 4 to year 5 and year 5 to year 6 in recent arbitration decisions (in terms of the numbers expected)...and how, if any, the current economic climate will affect the arbitration process as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
QUOTE (jasonxctf @ May 22, 2009 -> 09:38 AM)
im wondering how this seasons moves (McDougal, Owens, Floyd extension, etc) change the landscape?

Probably not a ton, the Sox still have a ton of money coming off the books after this year and none of those are crippling contracts.

Awesome job Kalapse, this is the first time I really looked at this thread. I can't believe how through some good moves and good luck the Sox have put themselves in a great position after this offseason. I think the willingness to do the Peavy deal shows how much flexability this team has.

• 2 months later...