White Sox Payroll Resource

Kalapse

QUOTE (joeynach @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 03:19 PM)
What the formula...I have been trying to figure it out.

Each day spent on the 25 man roster equals 1 day of service.

If the player is optioned to the minors for less then 20 days then all those days count as well (ex; if he's sent down for 13 days then recalled then those 13 minor league days count towards his service time.)

The day a player is sent down counts towards service but the day he's called up does not.

Any time spent on the major league DL counts towards service. This is actually a problem the Marlins have been having because they're cheap f***s. They learn of a player's injury and immediately send him down, he'll then been placed on the minor league DL and it doesn't count towards service, saving them - in some cases - a year of service. This is illegal and a few players have filed grievances because of it.

Suspensions count towards service.

Any minor league rehab time counts towards service.

Once you reach 172 days of service in a given year you're then credited with 1.000 for the season. So one day you're at 3.171 the next you're at 4.000.

A player can earn no more than 1.000 years of service in a given season, once you reach 172 days for the year you're done.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Dec 13, 2009 -> 08:47 PM)
When will we find out what guys are awarded in arbitration?

Early to mid February is when they hold the hearings, though the odds of the Sox going to arbitration with any of them are slim to none so you'll likely see our 4 arbitration eligible players sign deals before then. January 19th is when arbitration figures are exchanged, this is when you see a lot of the players and clubs split the difference on 1 year deals.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 04:34 PM)

If the player is optioned to the minors for less then 20 days then all those days count as well (ex; if he's sent down for 13 days then recalled then those 13 minor league days count towards his service time.)

The day a player is sent down counts towards service but the day he's called up does not.

Any time spent on the major league DL counts towards service. This is actually a problem the Marlins have been having because they're cheap f***s. They learn of a player's injury and immediately send him down, he'll then been placed on the minor league DL and it doesn't count towards service, saving them - in some cases - a year of service. This is illegal and a few players have filed grievances because of it.

Once you reach 172 days of service in a given year you're then credited with 1.000 for the season. So one day you're at 3.171 the next you're at 4.000.

A player can earn no more than 1.000 years of service in a given season, once you reach 172 days for the year you're done.

Awesome, thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Kalapse, most excellent work. Just one clarification for me if I could ask. The standard MLB contract (Standard because I see International Free Agents and people like Alexei getting 4 years) is 6 years (3 Pre-Arb/3 Arb)? To rephrase I think this only applies to amateur players who start in MILB or get picked up in the yearly June draft? Then once they play as you say 172 days of service that counts as 1 option gone? See I get the options and the ARB/Pre-Arb mixed up. Thanx for your time.

Edited by chisoxfan09

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (joeynach @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 05:33 PM)
UPDATE???

The only players not on there are Pierre and Dolsi. As I remember, Pierre is getting like $3 mill this year and $5 mill next year from the Sox. As such, the Sox payroll is roughly $83,375,000 without considering Danks, Jenks, Quentin, Pena, or the pre-arbitration players. I would imagine Danks getting around $3.5 mill or so, Jenks getting around $7.5 mill, Pena getting into 7 figures but not much more, and Quentin getting around $3 mill. Those are guesses, but I figure they're pretty close. That would put the Sox right around $98 mill, which means they might be able to add a small piece for about $2-4 mill, but nothing too expensive. I think $105 mill is probably the limit to the payroll but I'm expecting much closer to $102 mill.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 06:45 PM)
The only players not on there are Pierre and Dolsi. As I remember, Pierre is getting like $3 mill this year and $5 mill next year from the Sox. As such, the Sox payroll is roughly $83,375,000 without considering Danks, Jenks, Quentin, Pena, or the pre-arbitration players. I would imagine Danks getting around $3.5 mill or so, Jenks getting around $7.5 mill, Pena getting into 7 figures but not much more, and Quentin getting around $3 mill. Those are guesses, but I figure they're pretty close. That would put the Sox right around $98 mill, which means they might be able to add a small piece for about $2-4 mill, but nothing too expensive. I think $105 mill is probably the limit to the payroll but I'm expecting much closer to $102 mill.

$2-4M should get it done for Thome.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 04:57 AM)
Kalapse, most excellent work. Just one clarification for me if I could ask. The standard MLB contract (Standard because I see International Free Agents and people like Alexei getting 4 years) is 6 years (3 Pre-Arb/3 Arb)? To rephrase I think this only applies to amateur players who start in MILB or get picked up in the yearly June draft? Then once they play as you say 172 days of service that counts as 1 option gone? See I get the options and the ARB/Pre-Arb mixed up. Thanx for your time.

I'm sorry I didn't answer you sooner, I haven't been very active on here over the past few weeks.

First a refresher course. All out contractual clauses aside: if a draft pick or international free agent signs say a 4 year contract and accrues 4 years of service time over the duration of that contract he will be arbitration eligible in his 5th and 6th major league season even though the contract expired after 4 years. Alexei Ramirez is a good example of this: he signed a 4 year deal and it appears as though he'll be spending all 4 years in the majors so by the time his deal runs out he'll have accumulated 4 years of service time so the Sox will still hold the rights to Alexei for 2 more seasons when his deal runs out and he'll be arbitration eligible both years.

Ok, any player who's either drafted or signed as an undrafted free agent or international free agent is under team control for 6 full major league seasons with only 1 exception: (as of right now only Japanese players have done this if memory serves) some International free agents will have a clause included in their contract that when their deal expires they must be tendered a new contract by a specific offseason date or granted their outright release, negating any years of control a team may have normally held after the duration of the deal. Such a clause would also prohibit a team from receiving any kind of free agent compensation since the team must release the player and is not granted the right to offer arbitration. Tadahito Iguchi had such a clause in his contract, this is why he was traded away for next to nothing at the trade deadline in the final year of his contract, the Sox were out of the race, didn't plan on bringing Iguchi back for the '08 season and wanted to get something-anything in return for him.

Now to clear up any confusion you may have with service time and team options:

Once a player is placed on the 40 man roster he must either be kept on the active 25 man roster or optioned to the minor leagues. So if you place a prospect on the 40 man roster in order to protect him from the Rule V draft or to be called up to the majors, if you wish to send him to the minors whether it be at the end of spring when you must get your active roster down to 25 men or anytime throughout the season then you must "option" that player to the minor leagues. Each player gets 3 'option years' meaning you can only send him to the minors in 3 separate seasons. 1 option is good for an entire season so if you send a player down in April then call him up in May and send him down again in June you've only used up 1 option despite the fact that you sent him down twice, you can't burn more than 1 option in any given season and there is no limit to the number of times you can send a player down in a given season though a certain amount of time must pass before he can be recalled again (off the top of my head I believe it's 10 days). So an "option" is actually an "option year" and you get 3 of them. Once a player is out of options he'll have to be placed on waivers and go unclaimed by the other 29 teams in order to be sent to the minors. Once a player reaches 5 years of service he can not be sent to the minors without his consent.

Service time is unrelated to options. Like you said: once a player reaches 172 days on the active major league roster he's awarded 1 year of service, a player can earn nor more than 1.000 years of service in any given season. Once he reaches 3.000 service years he's eligible for arbitration (some players such as Mark Teahen qualify for arbitration before 3 years through Super 2 eligibility) and at 6.000 he becomes a free agent.

So:

All seasons started with between 0.000 and 2.171 years of service = pre arbitration, a team can pay the player whatever they see fit as long as it's at or above the major league minimum and jives with pay reduction rules.

All seasons started wtih between 3.000 and 5.171 years of service = arbitration eligible.

This is of course assuming that the player is not under contract. Someone like Evan Longoria or Ryan Braun won't have to deal with this since they signed long term deals in their pre arbitration seasons that run through their first few free agent eligible seasons.

I hope this long, convoluted post cleared up any confusion.

Adding in the $3.2M for Quentin and $7.5 for Jenks I have got the sox right now with $93.75M. That includes the cash coming in for Pierre and Tehean as well as the $1M out for JDs buyout. It doesn't include Pena's and Danks' salary or the 5 or so league minumum's that are going to be there as well. That being said its fairly easy to see that the Sox payroll limit is about $100M this year.

I have them at

$102.375M total

+ $1M Dye Buyout

- $1.5M Teahen cash

- $7M Pierre cash

$94.875M true total

Danks and Pena should be another ~$4M or so

There's 21 players under contract that should make the opening day roster (Viciedo not included)

1. Buehrle

2. Danks

3. Floyd

4. Peavy

5. Garcia

6. Jenks

7. Thornton

8. Linebrink

9. Pena

10. Putz

11. Pierzynski

12. Konerko

13. Ramirez

14. Teahen

15. Pierre

16. Rios

17. Quentin

18. Kotsay

19. Jones

20. Vizquel

21. Castro

So that leaves 4 at the minimum (Beckham, Williams, Santos, De Aza, Dolsi, Hudson, Nix all on the 40)

Ok here's what I got. Most of the numbers came from Cot's Baseball Contracts.

Mark Buehrle - $14M

Jake Peavy - $15M

John Danks - Arb

Freddy Garcia - $1M

Gavin Floyd - $2.75M

Bobby Jenks - $7.5M

Scott Linebrink - $5M

JJ Putz - $3M

Tony Pena - Arb

Matt Thornton - $2.25M

Daniel Hudson - Pre-Arb

Randy Williams - Pre-Arb

Ramon Castro - $0.8M

AJ Pierzynski - $6.25M

Omar Vizquel - $1.375M

Mark Tehean - $3.75M

Paul Konerko - $12M

Jayson Nix - Pre-Arb

Dayan Viciedo - $1.25M

Alexi Ramirez - $1.225

Gordon Beckham - Pre-Arb

Andruw Jones - $0.5M

Carlos Quentin - $3.2M

Alex Rios - $9.7M

Mark Kotsay - $1.5M

Juan Pierre - $10M

Total Guaranteed Salary - $102.05M

Option Buyouts - +$1M

Cash Considerations - ($8.5M)

Actual Payroll - $94.55M

So assuming Danks + Pena costs another $4M and our 3 pre-arb cost $1.275M (425K each) that's another $5.275M on top of the $94.55M. That would make the total assumed payroll to be $99.825M. So the whole $100M ceiling is right on.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 08:45 PM)
Pierzynski will make $6.7M in '10 thanks to incentives he reached over the past 2 seasons and I do believe Alexei's $500K signing bonus was paid up front, not over the life of the contract. And as of right now it's 4 pre-arb players, not 3.

Your right on all three fronts, It matched up with Cot's. Ive got AJ at 6.75 now according to them. My total is now $94.825 before Danks, Pena, and the 4 Pre-Arb guys.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 08:14 PM)
Your right on all three fronts, It matched up with Cot's. Ive got AJ at 6.75 now according to them. My total is now $94.825 before Danks, Pena, and the 4 Pre-Arb guys.

Good, I believe we're now on the same page: $96.125M after the Pena signing.