Kenny and Jerry Steroid enablers?

tonyho7476

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 08:39 AM)
Glad to see Jay is still reading Soxtalk for ideas for his articles. Either that or we confirmed that Dick Allen is indeed Jay Mariotti, which would explain a lot of what he thinks of the White Sox front office personel. :lol:

Calling me Marriotti, is a personal attack. Please ban yourself. :lol: I'm glad someone likes my posts. Too bad its him.

LOL, I like how Mariotti says that he actually asked Ordonez about steroids.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 08:41 AM)
Calling me Marriotti, is a personal attack. Please ban yourself. :lol: .

Does SS2k5's postcount allow for a ban? ;)

Edited by kyyle23

More than his hatred of the Sox organization (which I don't care about either way: that is, his hatred, not the organization) I am troubled by his disregard for the facts. Here's how I think he writes his columns: got to fill his quota, wait for news, write reactionary piece in thirty minutes, spend ten of those "saucing" it up -- and you have a soup of s***. He clearly doesn't spend much time fact-checking:

Thomas Boswell, the famed Washington Post baseball columnist, had said in 1998 that Canseco was ``the most conspicuous example of a player who has made himself great with steroids.''

It was 88, unless I am terribly terribly wrong. But the fact that it was in 1988 is what makes it so remarkable.

As to his other point -- would I be stunned if we had a bunch of steroid users? Nah. Valetin, Ordonez, Lee, bunch of relievers -- none of those would surprise me (although I am not making any allegation). I don't buy this "White Sox squeaky clean, White Sox protest because they want harsher penalties". Yeah, maybe, but that doesn't mean that the Sox weren't willing to look the other way. They clearly, Canseco shows, were. Just like everyone else. The league is the steroid enabler, not any particular franchise.

So, to sum up:

Mariotti full of crap, no fact-checking.

White Sox probably had their fair share of steroid users that they kept despite it, and it IS justifiable considering the nature of the game at the time.

Edited by Gregory Pratt

It should be noted that Ordonez wasn't mentioned in the Mitchell Report. It should be noted that he never has been linked to any lab, paper trail, grand jury or believable baseball rumor mill. I also should point out very strongly that Canseco is a sleazebag, dying for money, as suggested by a New York Times report that claims he demanded $5 million -- via a friend -- from Ordonez for a movie project in exchange for his promise not to mention Ordonez in ``Vindicated.'' The FBI was made aware, but didn't pursue the matter because Ordonez chose not to make an official complaint. By most legal definitions, Canseco's alleged attempt would be a form of extortion.

I was thinking about who Canseco could have named as a "bomb shell" and Maggs would be the best target. An All-Star slugger who was not named in any report, actually gives the book something unique. And it would be niave to think there were no juicers on the Sox and that management did not know it. It was too common, too obvious to those that knew what to look for and where to look.

And I think Mariotti could have thought up this article idea on his own. Say what you will about Jay, he knows how to get his name on everyone's lips and writing anything negative about the Sox gets all Sox fans in a tizzy. Funny that this will probably have Sox fans defending Maggs, something I thought I would never see. :lolhitting

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 09:39 AM)
Typical Marriotti, no facts, all opinion, lying about converstions with players, ignoring the already established steroid den on the north side. I remember when people had jobs based on merit and ability.

yep, every Sox article needs to include stuff on the Cubs or else it just isn't important. Just like all the other writers. ;)

They should refuse to talk to any reporter associated with the sun times until they fire that assbag Kotex boy. Between he, couch(kotex boys fluffer), carol sleeze, and the rest its not like they are getting a good deal to begin with anyway. Cowley is amusing for them to plant rumors, but they can get another patsy somewhere else.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 10:11 AM)
They should refuse to talk to any reporter associated with the sun times until they fire that assbag Kotex boy. Between he, couch(kotex boys fluffer), carol sleeze, and the rest its not like they are getting a good deal to begin with anyway. Cowley is amusing for them to plant rumors, but they can get another patsy somewhere else.

You are kidding right? The club loves Mariotti. He brings Sox fans together to defend the team like no one else. He gets more people talking about the Sox than any other writer. We turn into a bunch of old retired guys who haven't had a bowel movement in days. All cranky and indignant. To think that anyone would not be a loyal Sox fan is heresy.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 09:52 AM)
yep, every Sox article needs to include stuff on the Cubs or else it just isn't important. Just like all the other writers. ;)

Point is, if you are going to write an article about a steroid fueled team in chicago, the #1 focus should be the cubs. Their long time face of the franchise, several players named in the mitchell report, and their pitching messiah are all more important to the team than cansecos short stint here.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 08:22 AM)
This guy has such a vendetta against this organization.

OMG get over it. He doesn't have a vendetta against the organization. He writes negative things about very other organization in the city as well.

Not only that, but he's DEAD RIGHT on this subject. The whole league knew Canseco was a roider but the Sox signed him anyway. I for one will not be afraid to say that Jay Mariotti is the best columnist this town has.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 10:28 AM)
Point is, if you are going to write an article about a steroid fueled team in chicago, the #1 focus should be the cubs. Their long time face of the franchise, several players named in the mitchell report, and their pitching messiah are all more important to the team than cansecos short stint here.

Just two weeks ago he wrote that the interest in Brian Roberts was a joke and the Cubs should steer clear and ripped the organization for even thinking about it.

Perhaps check your facts. :ph34r:

link

Edited by Steve9347

I can't remember the last time he wrote a positive article about the White Sox. It must have been during the world series in 2005. He dosen't care about the White Sox or White Sox fans. He knows that he gets attention with negative articles. Its the best way to further his career. Can't say I blame him. Hopefully he'll get a job with ESPN or SI and leave us alone.

No matter what mistakes they did make, you still have to give the team credit for their behavior during the 2003 tests, and for Frank's behavior in general.

I always have wondered whether simply having Frank around the clubhouse might, for the most part, have been enough to keep us clean. Because seriously, do you want to piss off #35?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 11:25 AM)
No matter what mistakes they did make, you still have to give the team credit for their behavior during the 2003 tests, and for Frank's behavior in general.

I always have wondered whether simply having Frank around the clubhouse might, for the most part, have been enough to keep us clean. Because seriously, do you want to piss off #35?

I don't!

All hail Frank Thomas. That's for damned sure. You are right too, our entire team refusing piss tests is what got the stronger tests/punishments instilled in the first place. That could have been included in Jay's article...