Dog Suggestions?

Marky Mark

My fiance and I have been discussing the possibility of getting a dog in about a year. We are looking for a dog that can fit most of this criteria:

1) Will be ok in an apartment/no backyard

2) 40-70 pounds

3) Will be ok if given 4-5 walks/runs a week (1.5-2 miles per walk)

4) Very social/affectionate dog, the kind that would cuddle with my wife

5) Short-medium hair

6) Good with strangers and children

7) And this one is low on the priority list, but a dog that likes playing in the water

If anyone has any suggestions on what breed to get through your own experience I'd enjoy hearing them.

I have a breed I will warn about. Do not buy Toto. I bought a Cairn Terrier. If you like a howly barky dog, then go for it. My dog is a loving dog and is great with our kids. But it can drive you absolutely nuts with the howling. 3 oclock in the morning, and she goes into a death howl. You could be 3 feet from her watching TV and the dog will howl. If you let her out in the yard, its a barkfest. She will continuously bark, sometimes just to hear herself bark. This has made me very popular with my neighbors. I thought it was isolated to our dog, but I found out after talking to other Cairn owners that their dogs howl and bark a lot like mine. My dog howls so loud that the neighbors complained about her when she would be home alone. You can hear her from 2 houses down when all the windows are closed. Now on the plus side with this dog, if you want your yard free from all wildlife such as mice, rabbits, ground squirrels, garter snakes, brown and grey squirrels, birds, and even the random cat, then Toto is your dog. Very smart and determined little hunter. Now if she would shut up a bit she would be fine.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 02:04 AM)
love my beagle

I have 2! They are not too big (well,the one got FAT, but otherwise not too big), they play, they relax, they eat. The little one howls when someone rings the doorbell or if she sees a rabbit in the yard,but otherwise they are quiet.

There are several beagles available at the Plainfield Humane Society. My wife and older son volunteers there, if you want to check any of them out, let me know. I know people!

http://plainfieldhumane.com/availablepetlist2.html

Edited by Alpha Dog

Buying dogs are a crapshoot, even certain breeds, the dogs aren't a certain type. Although I always question people who go to a breeder when there are so many great adoptable dogs in shelters, if you aren't planning on showing your dog, take a look at a shelter please.

The best city dogs I've ever encountered is a bulldog honestly. They are good with kids and strangers, do not need a ton of exercise, and tend to be quieter. They also cuddle. Second on that list is minature pinchers. They are great city dogs.

Exercise and socialization are two important factors in choosing city dogs, my rotty wasn't a good fit for my area as he doesn't trust outsiders and needs constant outdoor time. Because of this I had to move him to my very happy parents house. On the flip side, my gfs adopted mutt boxer/chow loves all people and only likes short walks. All in all, its a crap shoot, but dogs are just awesome to have, and also test your patience as a person.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 09:03 AM)
Buying dogs are a crapshoot, even certain breeds, the dogs aren't a certain type. Although I always question people who go to a breeder when there are so many great adoptable dogs in shelters, if you aren't planning on showing your dog, take a look at a shelter please.

The best city dogs I've ever encountered is a bulldog honestly. They are good with kids and strangers, do not need a ton of exercise, and tend to be quieter. They also cuddle. Second on that list is minature pinchers. They are great city dogs.

Exercise and socialization are two important factors in choosing city dogs, my rotty wasn't a good fit for my area as he doesn't trust outsiders and needs constant outdoor time. Because of this I had to move him to my very happy parents house. On the flip side, my gfs adopted mutt boxer/chow loves all people and only likes short walks. All in all, its a crap shoot, but dogs are just awesome to have, and also test your patience as a person.

I agree with everything you said about Bulldogs, The only reason I would stay away from a bulldog is that they have such a short lifespan. My grandfather had a few, none of them lasted longer than 6 years old due to various genetic defects (breathing problems due to the shape of the face, skin problems, heart problems, weight problems, i saw a beautiful purebred bully who was completely blind from birth). I would love to have one, but knowing they arent going to be around very long is a tough pill to stomach.

I have 2 Puggles...in which are a hybrid with Pug and Beagle and I think they are awesome dogs. Very playful and friendly. Be careful though the beagle in them loves to bark and sometimes howl. Above all else though if you do decide to get a dog... ADOPT!!

This is my Puggle Roxy...that was her as a pup... she is now about 30+ pounds.

image002.jpg

Edited by EvilJester99

My recommendation goes against your 40-70 lb requirement, but the best breed, especially for apartment living, are Boston Terriers. We've got a Boston and we know about 5 or 6 other Boston owners and everyone loves them. They're smart (with the occasional stubborn streak), very loving and compassionate, very loyal, and you can make them exercise as much or as little as you want and they'd be happy. We usually stay pretty lazy during the week, just a walk a few blocks in the morning and night, but she'd easily go all day if we let her. Best of all they are GREAT with children and other animals like cats. They're just very happy-go-lucky dogs. And ours rarely barks...normally only when I get her riled up by playing or when she's dreaming.

We were thinking about getting a bully too (english bulldog) but they're so expensive to start and the vast majority often become very unhealthy in the later years, which means big, big vet bills.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 09:16 AM)
You guys are talking about English Bulldogs?

Yes. Some of the best dogs out there, but are expensive and usually have bad illnesses. Still great dogs. I still think the best in that weight range are going to be mutts from the shelter. My sis and my gf both did that and those are the two best dogs ive ever seen.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 05:21 PM)
Yes. Some of the best dogs out there, but are expensive and usually have bad illnesses. Still great dogs. I still think the best in that weight range are going to be mutts from the shelter. My sis and my gf both did that and those are the two best dogs ive ever seen.

Totally agree, mutts can be wonderful dogs and usually come without the genetic illnesses that can plague pure breds. I've got a 70 lb. lab mutt who was abandoned as a puppy and I could not ask for a better dog. Obedient, friendly, loyal, protective--pretty much everything you want your dog to be.

I do understand why pure breds are desireable, especially if you have kids, you really want to be careful about bringing unknown breeds into your home.

It's a little too big, but I have a boxer and love it. Mine is quite playful, but great around kids once he was no longer a puppy. Given proper exercise (like what you plan on doing) will keep rough-housing in check. They are very loving and very loyal to their masters, albeit a bit stubborn at times. They can seem kind of ugly at first, but they really are adorable dogs. You would have to decide if one suits your lifestyle, but if you get one you will certainly fall in love.

QUOTE(Markbilliards @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 12:09 AM)
My fiance and I have been discussing the possibility of getting a dog in about a year. We are looking for a dog that can fit most of this criteria:

1) Will be ok in an apartment/no backyard

2) 40-70 pounds

3) Will be ok if given 4-5 walks/runs a week (1.5-2 miles per walk)

4) Very social/affectionate dog, the kind that would cuddle with my wife

5) Short-medium hair

6) Good with strangers and children

7) And this one is low on the priority list, but a dog that likes playing in the water

If anyone has any suggestions on what breed to get through your own experience I'd enjoy hearing them.

Sounds like you need an airedale terrier. I have one and he is a great dog that pretty much fits the criteria you are looking for.

1) I have a backyard, and my dog loves running around out there, but he spends plenty of time indoors, and plays and has a lot fun in doors as well.

2) Mine is a bit oversized at 72 pounds (not overweight, just really big and muscular), but the average size I believe is about 50-60.

3) Mine goes for a nice long walk every single night and loves each one.

4) Airedales are generally very playful and affectionate, and mine is no exception. He loves getting pets and getting attention.

5) Airedales have short-medium wirey hair, with no shedding.

6) I can't speak for all Airedales, but mine loves to meet new people and get attention from them. At times, he might be too friendly.

7) Mine is a rarety and hates water (loves snow), but Airedales are excellent swimmers and most terriers love water anyway. Plus, Airedales were originally bred to hunt otters.

Plus, they make for fine watch dogs.

airedalez.jpg

If this bred intrigues you at all, I highly suggest checking out the wikipedia page below. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airedale_Terrier

Again, this bree might be a little heavier than your looking for but black labs are some of the best dogs there are. I had one when I was in college and had to put her to sleep in April this year and got a 7 week old puppy in November. They are very good with people and other animals and very athletic. They love to swim as well. They have short hair and the black fur is never a problem with shedding.

Heres a picture of Bunny

bunny.jpg