Sexism or Racism

NorthSideSox72

I saw a brief article on CNN that got my blood going a bit. The NY state chapter of NOW, issued a blistering statement accusing Ted Kennedy of abandoning women by endorsing Obama. If you read the article, the statement isn't just hinting at it either - it just comes right out and says that they think Kennedy has left women behind by making that decision.

Now, point number one, I find this statement to be incredibly offensive to everyone involved. Why the hell is it offensive to women that a Senator happened to endorse a male candidate? Is this really what this is about for some people? Vote for Hillary because she is a woman, or else you are leaving women at the curb?

Which leads to the same question on Obama... if a scathing article like this was published by the NAACP because a prominent black political figure endorsed Clinton, I would find it equally offensive and embarrassing for that person. What an awful way to look at things.

Still, that all being the case, I want to reiterate something I have said before... I think that the way women are treated in our current society is much worse than the way its racial minorities are treated, on balance. I'd say sexism is indeed a bigger problem than racism, at this moment in time, in this country. That isn't to say there isn't still racism, as I'd say there definitely is. I just think that sexism is more pervasive, and is having a greater negative effect.

I am curious what the rest of you think. Is racism or sexism the bigger problem right now? And how do you feel about that NOW statement? How would you feel if the other scenario I suggested occurred?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 10:32 PM)
I saw a brief article on CNN that got my blood going a bit. The NY state chapter of NOW, issued a blistering statement accusing Ted Kennedy of abandoning women by endorsing Obama. If you read the article, the statement isn't just hinting at it either - it just comes right out and says that they think Kennedy has left women behind by making that decision.

Now, point number one, I find this statement to be incredibly offensive to everyone involved. Why the hell is it offensive to women that a Senator happened to endorse a male candidate? Is this really what this is about for some people? Vote for Hillary because she is a woman, or else you are leaving women at the curb?

Which leads to the same question on Obama... if a scathing article like this was published by the NAACP because a prominent black political figure endorsed Clinton, I would find it equally offensive and embarrassing for that person. What an awful way to look at things.

Still, that all being the case, I want to reiterate something I have said before... I think that the way women are treated in our current society is much worse than the way its racial minorities are treated, on balance. I'd say sexism is indeed a bigger problem than racism, at this moment in time, in this country. That isn't to say there isn't still racism, as I'd say there definitely is. I just think that sexism is more pervasive, and is having a greater negative effect.

I am curious what the rest of you think. Is racism or sexism the bigger problem right now? And how do you feel about that NOW statement? How would you feel if the other scenario I suggested occurred?

Great post, Sir.

Personally, I think racism is more pervasive, but that's just my humble, personal opinion. I think there certainly is room to argue that sexism is more prevalent, but I think it's a far more complex problem than racism.

Same issue, different labels. Dismissing someone's contribution and the content of their character, or accepting serious flaws, based on their appearance or genetics, hurts us all. But hey we even dismiss Harvard Economic experts :P

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 10:32 PM)

I couldn't leave behind the opportunity to throw the obvious tasteless joke out there...

Its not the first time Teddy has left a woman behind...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 07:16 AM)
I couldn't leave behind the opportunity to throw the obvious tasteless joke out there...

Its not the first time Teddy has left a woman behind...

As I read the first post, I was thinking the same thing. Glad you said it first, I get enough crap on here. :bang

People vote for the candidate that they think will benefit them the most. We may say, we're looking for someone who will do best for America, and by extension, that would mean best for themselves. It's easy to believe that someone like themselves would be most likely to produce the most beneficial results. Perhaps that isn't being racist or sexist, it's being selfish.

I've had this discussion with friends before...is America more ready for a black male president or a white female president?

This is going to seem strange, but I think the majority of Americans, if this was the final choice, would vote for the black male. BUT, I think that person would have more death threats against him than a white female. Does that make sense?

I think there would be more racial angst than sexist angst. It's just a feeling I have. Does it answer the question? No. So here goes...like Tex said, it's two sides of the same coin. One isn't worse than the other, they are both bad...but this election is going to do a lot to help that, cuz I believe one of those candidates will break through the barrier. It's too bad they can't work together to bust down more barriers.

An interesting statistic: there have been 5 African-American Senators in the history of the Senate. Two each from Mississippi and Illinois and one from Mass. there have been 35 women in the Senate. Just for knowledge...

Female and Non-White Senators

What an enlightening discussion from a diverse crowd! I'm sorry, I just had to.

They both suck. But I think that most of America would rather see a black man with power than a woman; how many women in power aren't regarded as major b****es (that isn't to say they aren't--but compared to the behavior of their male counterparts, they get labeled more)? How many black men?

The big problem for both racism and sexism is that no one really wants to talk about either.

(And in my field, not politics btw, there are very few women OR people of color)

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 01:06 PM)
What an enlightening discussion from a diverse crowd! I'm sorry, I just had to.

They both suck. But I think that most of America would rather see a black man with power than a woman; how many women in power aren't regarded as major b****es (that isn't to say they aren't--but compared to the behavior of their male counterparts, they get labeled more)? How many black men?

The big problem for both racism and sexism is that no one really wants to talk about either.

(And in my field, not politics btw, there are very few women OR people of color)

I think people are more willing to face and deal with racism than they are sexism. I see a lot of treatment of women as lesser beings than men, I think, without even realizing they are doing it. And I see women doing it to themselves too. I see less of that with racial minorities versus whites.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 02:17 PM)
I think people are more willing to face and deal with racism than they are sexism. I see a lot of treatment of women as lesser beings than men, I think, without even realizing they are doing it. And I see women doing it to themselves too. I see less of that with racial minorities versus whites.

I would agree with you. None of my male colleagues get called "dear" or complimented on how they look when they give a talk. It's frustrating--but we also don't have any minority men in my program to compare my treatment to.

Anyway, here is an amazing op-ed from a while ago from the NYT. The other women in my program (and some who've finished) all found it really resonated--as did some non-academic chums.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)
I would agree with you. None of my male colleagues get called "dear" or complimented on how they look when they give a talk. It's frustrating--but we also don't have any minority men in my program to compare my treatment to.

Anyway, here is an amazing op-ed from a while ago from the NYT. The other women in my program (and some who've finished) all found it really resonated--as did some non-academic chums.

my boss at work is female, she has winked at me before. no joke. once i finished writing a complex algorithm for a big customer of ours and she said "nice job" then winked! oh, and the other day, I was talking to some lady at work and she said something about how she liked my shirt. i feel your pain.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 03:41 PM)
my boss at work is female, she has winked at me before. no joke. once i finished writing a complex algorithm for a big customer of ours and she said "nice job" then winked! oh, and the other day, I was talking to some lady at work and she said something about how she liked my shirt. i feel your pain.

What cup size do you have, Mr G?

Oh how I love algorithms...

Do guys receive any credit for looking good?

St. Olaf!

"That reminds me of my friend Meredith Herbenjeeberberger back at Saint Olaf....See, Meredith had a pet Chihuahua that just followed her everywhere she went. I mean everywhere! And believe me, Meredith could get herself into some really tight spaces, so it was really good that her Chihuahua only weighed 3 pounds because...."

"Rose! Are you going to bring this plane onto the airstrip or what?"

Ok, what classic tv show?

(Sorry, not trying to derail the thread :)

Pretty funny press release. Women in general sound more like some notion of a quiet, obedient, neglected housewife -- they stay quiet and support Kennedy, even when he's hurting them... I wouldn't think that's the image NOW wants to popularize.

As for the original question, sexism or racism, which is better. Sexism is much funnier, and it ticks off about 50% in almost any crowd, so it's much more consistent. So I'll go with sexism.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 04:14 PM)
St. Olaf!

"That reminds me of my friend Meredith Herbenjeeberberger back at Saint Olaf....See, Meredith had a pet Chihuahua that just followed her everywhere she went. I mean everywhere! And believe me, Meredith could get herself into some really tight spaces, so it was really good that her Chihuahua only weighed 3 pounds because...."

"Rose! Are you going to bring this plane onto the airstrip or what?"

Ok, what classic tv show?

(Sorry, not trying to derail the thread :)

Golden Girls

Racism is still very alive and kicking in this country due to the socio-economic situation of the inner city. Many of the fears and hatred as result of crime and poverty are a direct result of race thus resulting an inert dislike for a race whether intentional or not. Jesse and Al do nothing to assist in disfusing this situation because it keeps them in the spotlight. There is no definitive voice for the minority race. Obama can be looked at a face for this cause.

I find sexism funny. Sexism is an emotional process related to instinctual feelings that need to be repressed by the human mind which I feel is not even possible. Hillary being a women is not why I would not vote for her. If women really wanted sexism to go away and the objectivity of women to cease they would evaluate their status. I really think that at least average looking women geta pretty good shake. I am not advocating sexual harassment and am not tying it to this response as that is a different opinion.

The black senator v. female senator is all you need to know.

I like Obama and hope he wins. I loath Hillary. I also planned to vote for Giuliani............