• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...7&fext=.jsp

This is awesome for us.

1) He is out of the AL Central- which could mean 3-4 more wins for us haha.

2) He is out of the American League and he doesn't make the beast of the easts (Red Sox, Yanks) any better.

Will the Sox now make a push for Crisp? Im not so sure? But its a possibility... I know Boston wants to start Elsbury everyday. Look for Crisp to be traded somewhere...

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE(NCsoxfan @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 10:47 PM)
Is it just me, or have teams gotten more in return for worse pitchers? Who got more the A's for Haren or the Twins for Santana?

Im pretty sure a lot has to do with Santana's contractual situation. He is going into his final year and heading toward free agency where he will likely get the most money EVER for a free agent pitcher. Haren still has 3-4 years before he hits free agency which is worth more value.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 04:22 PM)
I think the Hughes deal was him + 2 solid spects, but the deal breaker was the Twinkies also asking for Ian Kennedy.

Hughes would have given the Twins 5 years of at least a #2 starter in the AL. Gomez may not ever reach the level of play of which his level of his tools are.

But we'll wait and see. I'm just glad that Santana's finally out of our division.

I imagine our numbers against lefties as a whole for the team will go up for the simple reason that Willis is in (load the lineup with RHH's) and Santana is out.

Lol not exactly... If Liriano returns to form.

QUOTE(NCsoxfan @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 04:47 PM)
Is it just me, or have teams gotten more in return for worse pitchers? Who got more the A's for Haren or the Twins for Santana?

Part of the deal was that Santana wouldn't waive his no trade clause unless he got the deal he wanted from the team. There is always more to a deal than the talent that each team recieves. Boston or NY may not have wanted to give him the years or money he wanted due to the elbow injury and lack of slider because of it last year. Santana supposedly turned down 100 mil for 5 years. I wouldn't give him that many years.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)
Somewhere Paul (flailing at changeups) Konerko, and Juan (cant hit anything in the dirt) Uribe are thanking their lucky stars.

if i remember correctly Uribe was one of the few that actually occasionally did something against santana... could be wrong tho...

wow im suprised this is the best the twins could do....gomez is a nice piece and certianly a twins type guy but he had only 17 extra base hits last year and his minor league OPS is only .738......yeah hes young and plays solid D, but theres not alot of evidence to suggest that hes gonna really be an above average hitter....humber tons of scouts are way down on, he lost the fastball that made him the #3 overall pick and he really projects as like a 5 or bullpen guy...Mulvey is a better jack egbert, and i know nothing about guerra....sounds pretty good though...frankly im just not sure that this package is that much better than what we gave oakland for swisher...

guerra sounds alot like Fautino (prolly not quite as good of a spect)

gomez id have to say is a bit better than sweeney (but that gap isnt as big as you think...gomez has every bit as big of a problem with power as sweeney and walks less)

Gio > mulvey

so basically minnesota got a similar deal to oakland + humber (who may never turn into anything more than nick masset)

i liked the rumored deals from the yankees and the red sox better than what the mets gave em, but who knows

QUOTE(Whitewashed in '05 @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 09:52 AM)
Lol not exactly... If Liriano returns to form.

I don't expect that to happen, well at least not in his 1st season back from major surgery.

I'd expect us to be better against lefties anyways, with the new additions we've brought in, and Dye and Konerko should hopefully have better seasons also.

Just on daa84's post, would you rather have given up Gio + DLS + Sweeney for Santana (and re-sign him at say 6 years, 130-140M) or those guys for Nick Swisher who's signed to a more affordable contract and could put up 35HR's and a +.375OBP?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 04:11 PM)
Just on daa84's post, would you rather have given up Gio + DLS + Sweeney for Santana (and re-sign him at say 6 years, 130-140M) or those guys for Nick Swisher who's signed to a more affordable contract and could put up 35HR's and a +.375OBP?

Quite honestly...and I like the Swisher deal...I'd have given that and more for the best pitcher in baseball regardless of the price. Minny has not had the greatest teams the last few years, but they're always in contention, because every 5th day they get a very good start and usually a win.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 06:11 PM)

The Twins

a. would not trade santana to the white sox

b. would laugh in your face if you made that offer

how is that offer comparable to the deal they got from the mets? it's a laughingstock.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 06:13 PM)
Quite honestly...and I like the Swisher deal...I'd have given that and more for the best pitcher in baseball regardless of the price. Minny has not had the greatest teams the last few years, but they're always in contention, because every 5th day they get a very good start and usually a win.

I agree with betting the farm for Santana. However, I think the success in Minnesota goes far deeper than just Johan. No doubt, he is one of the few stoppers in the league. However, their nasty bullpen, outstanding scouting/trades, excellent coaching staffs, and player development all factor significantly in their success over the past several years.