Santana Traded to the Mets

Pants Rowland

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 06:26 PM)
What the Baseball Mogul game says about the trade:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v673/MW1...antanatrade.jpg

I really do enjoy that game, but the prospects are all rated very poorly, so the trade would be very lopsided there (atleast current players put in as prospects). You can also notice that Santana is making about 12 mill for the next 3 years there, dont know where that came from. And as an example of the prospects, just look at F. Martinez, hes rated as 52/76, when his ceiling should be somewhere in the 90s.

Still I got a good laugh out of it.

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 06:17 PM)
I really do enjoy that game, but the prospects are all rated very poorly, so the trade would be very lopsided there (atleast current players put in as prospects). You can also notice that Santana is making about 12 mill for the next 3 years there, dont know where that came from. And as an example of the prospects, just look at F. Martinez, hes rated as 52/76, when his ceiling should be somewhere in the 90s.

Still I got a good laugh out of it.

Doesn't the scale go up to 80? I think 76 is right.

QUOTE(max power @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 12:56 PM)
Doesn't the scale go up to 80? I think 76 is right.

No, that game goes up to the usual 100, its not the scouting scale that they use, so really they say he should be a fringe starter/ backup in the future.

QUOTE(rockren @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 07:56 PM)
Well what are the Mets suppose to say?

Johan will get what he wants and the Mets will give it. They knew what Johan wanted going in. It'll get done.

They're just going to try to turn the last year into a vesting option. Makes sense for the Mets to push that as it cuts their risk slightly if he gets hurt. They'll probably offer him up another carrot in exchange, maybe a little more money earlier, maybe a 2nd option year, something like that.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 10:03 PM)
They're just going to try to turn the last year into a vesting option. Makes sense for the Mets to push that as it cuts their risk slightly if he gets hurt. They'll probably offer him up another carrot in exchange, maybe a little more money earlier, maybe a 2nd option year, something like that.

I agree. Could you imagine the disaster that would be on the Mets hands if they couldn't sign him and he wound up with the Yankees?

I know everyone's all over Minnesota about not getting good value or whatever, or losing out on what people believe are better offers from other organizations, but I'm not better at scouting than the Minnesota Twins and neither are you, Dear Reader and Critic of the Twins. Now I'm not saying that they've analyzed correctly -- just that before conventional wisdom takes over and says the Twins hosed themselves, we should remember that the Twins are the best in baseball at scouting, scouting everyone at every level precisely. I'll wait and see before I call Smith an idiot.

One of the panelists on Chicago Tribune Live said that Santana's agent told the Twins if there was no deal by Tuesday night, they would not allow any trade (Santana has a no-trade clause). Also, that Santana demanded to go to a team that has ST in Florida. FWIW...

What a s***ty position for the Twins.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 08:19 PM)
One of the panelists on Chicago Tribune Live said that Santana's agent told the Twins if there was no deal by Tuesday night, they would not allow any trade (Santana has a no-trade clause). Also, that Santana demanded to go to a team that has ST in Florida. FWIW...

What a s***ty position for the Twins.

Well, as far as I can tell, that doesn't make any sense at all, because from what I'm reading the window for the Mets to negotiate an extension with him ends at 5:00 ET tomorrow. So I have no idea where Tuesday night fits in to this.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 10:22 PM)
Well, as far as I can tell, that doesn't make any sense at all, because from what I'm reading the window for the Mets to negotiate an extension with him ends at 5:00 ET tomorrow. So I have no idea where Tuesday night fits in to this.

By "deal" he means "trade." If Johan wasn't traded by Tuesday night he wouldn't accept a trade at all, that's why the Twins asked all teams for their final offers Tuesday morning and accepted the trade Tuesday afternoon. So I assume if Johan is a man of his word, if this thing falls through he'll be a Twin in '08.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 10:38 PM)
By "deal" he means "trade." If Johan wasn't traded by Tuesday night he wouldn't accept a trade at all, that's why the Twins asked all teams for their final offers Tuesday morning and accepted the trade Tuesday afternoon. So I assume if Johan is a man of his word, if this thing falls through he'll be a Twin in '08.

Yes, that.

Hot off the press... 7:08 ... A bit off with my post, but its a 7 year now and i assume its starting this season.. but i really have no clue I didnt see it in here

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3226412

NEW YORK -- Johan Santana and the New York Mets agreed Friday to a $150.75 million, seven-year contract, a record for a pitcher and the last major step needed to finalize the team's blockbuster trade with Minnesota.
Edited by JFields27

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 1, 2008 -> 05:08 PM)
Johan has the Mets by the balls right now, if they don't sign him it is a PR nightmare of epic proportions.

The Mets knew a ballpark figure going in on what Johan actually wanted.

All they did was posture....they were willing to pay Johan what he wanted the whole time and pretty much did.

QUOTE(rockren @ Feb 1, 2008 -> 06:50 PM)
The Mets knew a ballpark figure going in on what Johan actually wanted.

All they did was posture....they were willing to pay Johan what he wanted the whole time and pretty much did.

They'd have been stupid not to posture a bit. Might save them a million or two in the long run. It's business.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2008 -> 08:55 PM)
They'd have been stupid not to posture a bit. Might save them a million or two in the long run. It's business.

The Mets just gave him 150 million...I don't think they gave a crap about saving "a million or two."

That was the downside of trading for Johan, (if there was one) you had to negotiate on his agent's terms.

QUOTE(max power @ Feb 2, 2008 -> 12:02 AM)
That million or two could be the difference in signing another free agent this year or next. Even though 150 mil is a lot of money. 1-2 million is still a lot of money.

While I don't think Balt meant 1-2 million to be EXACTLY 1-2 million, it still isn't a lot of money to the Mets in this case.

The Mets knew they were going to take it in the ear in these negotiations and didn't care. It's still probable that they sign Lohse to a contract near 10 million a year.

QUOTE(rockren @ Feb 2, 2008 -> 01:06 AM)
While I don't think Balt meant 1-2 million to be EXACTLY 1-2 million, it still isn't a lot of money to the Mets in this case.

The Mets knew they were going to take it in the ear in these negotiations and didn't care. It's still probable that they sign Lohse to a contract near 10 million a year.

I love taking it in the ear

:huh