LOST!!!!

retro1983hat

So the island was?

The others were who?

The asian guy and the temple was what?

The numbers did what?

Why push the button in the hatch?

Significance of not being able to have children on the island?

Why did the island move?

Was Whidmore dead when he left?

etc etc.

Maybe some people want to not have answers from 99 percent of the show, but I think it was weak.

The only feasible explanation of the "purgatory" was that the entire sideways flash was only Jack's purgatory until he was ready to move on. It was only from his perspective. Of course that also doesnt fit 100% either.

Edited by RockRaines

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 25, 2010 -> 10:38 AM)
So the island was?

The others were who?

The numbers did what?

Why did the island move?

etc etc.

Maybe some people want to not have answers from 99 percent of the show, but I think it was weak.

The only feasible explanation of the "purgatory" was that the entire sideways flash was only Jack's purgatory until he was ready to move on. It was only from his perspective. Of course that also doesnt fit 100% either.

Half of those questions were answered if you have watched the episodes

So the island was?

- A place with a magic light in the center

The others were who?

- A bunch of people on the island who follow Jacob

- Members of the Others, ultimately not very important

The numbers did what?

- Nothing really; they're mainly just easter eggs/weirdness

- It dissipated the energy buildup

- Drama?

Why did the island move?

- I have no idea

- When he left?

So the island was? - A magical island

The others were who? A combination of Dharma, "Ben's" people, and anyone else who ever lived on the island prior to O815

The asian guy and the temple was what? - The protector of Jacob's people

The numbers did what? LostPedia - "In The Lost Experience it was revealed that these six numbers are the core values of the Valenzetti Equation, a mathematical formula designed to predict the end of humanity."

Why push the button in the hatch? - To release controlled amounts of energy to stop the island from exploding.

Significance of not being able to have children on the island? - Unknown, but probably related "the incident" and the h-bomb

Why did the island move?

Was Whidmore dead when he left? - When he left in the 70's? no.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 25, 2010 -> 11:17 AM)
Why push the button in the hatch? - To release controlled amounts of energy to stop the island from exploding.

So what happened before a computer was set up for numbers to be punched in? Wouldn't the island have exploded since there wasn't anything set up to release controlled amounts of energy?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 25, 2010 -> 11:24 AM)
So what happened before a computer was set up for numbers to be punched in? Wouldn't the island have exploded since there wasn't anything set up to release controlled amounts of energy?

Prior to the Dharma Initiative drilling a hole into the pocket of energy, it was fine. However, after "the incident" it needed to be controlled. (I cant speak for the time between the Incident and when the hatch was finished)

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

I dunno why people are having such a difficult time with the questions/mysteries. 90% of the questions were answered to some degree, and the rest are not that important. It's like if you were trying to tell a story about a guy walking down the street in a city. A writer might describe a building or a sign the guy walks by, but you don't need to know the whole history of the building and/or sign to get the story.

Also, think about it in the larger perspective - you had 2 seasons where the writers knew of a vague story about people on an island. Everything was totally fabricated to keep people interested. The more f'd up the island, the more people talked about it. Eventually they get an end date and have to come up with a story to link it all together. Some of it worked (the others, dharma, MIB/Jacob) and some of it totally failed (most of the off island stuff, time travel - really, why even include all that nonsense if it had nothing to do with the end result?). I'll grant you that they brought up a of stuff to create the wow factor and then failed to follow up, but still, those things weren't all that important.

It was 5 seasons of sci fi action, one season of trying to wrap it all up into a story that completes the tale of the 6-8 main people we've watched for 120 hours. It'll be remember for the awesome story telling mechanics - the use of flashbacks, flashforwards (genius...."Kate, we have to go back!" will be legendary TV line i think), even the sideways stuff was all pretty new, especially for a network show.

I dunno, I think in 3-4 years i'll think a little less of the show, but for what it was, it was pretty sweet.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 25, 2010 -> 12:31 PM)
I dunno why people are having such a difficult time with the questions/mysteries. 90% of the questions were answered to some degree, and the rest are not that important. It's like if you were trying to tell a story about a guy walking down the street in a city. A writer might describe a building or a sign the guy walks by, but you don't need to know the whole history of the building and/or sign to get the story.

Because thats simply not true. If they spent an entire episode on something, that makes it important to the story. Just because they couldnt explain it and decided to leave it up in the air in the entire explanation of the finale doesnt make it just a side piece of the story line. They just simply dropped the ball on that piece. I'd say about 10% of the questions were answered, and some of the answers just werent clear. The frustration for me is in the fact that I watched several seasons over and over to try and dissect where the story came from and where did it go, and they simply discounted most of the back story and pieced together a finish to the story with more of a focus on Jack's redemption and some sort of religious path rather than why and how they all got there in the first place.

The first two seasons were about Walt being special and how that related to the others and the kidnapping of children. How was that not important? Also, what was the motivation behind Jacob bringing the candidates to the Island, and then allowing his people to terrorize them and attempt to kill them for three seasons? I can fill in a lot of these gaps, but I shouldn’t have too. Nor, should I have to look in an encyclopedia to get the answers that should have been given over the course of the show.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 25, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)
The first two seasons were about Walt being special and how that related to the others and the kidnapping of children. How was that not important? Also, what was the motivation behind Jacob bringing the candidates to the Island, and then allowing his people to terrorize them and attempt to kill them for three seasons? I can fill in a lot of these gaps, but I shouldn’t have too. Nor, should I have to look in an encyclopedia to get the answers that should have been given over the course of the show.

I'll give you that the Walt being special angle didn't get played out fully , but I think that's explained by the fact that that kid grew like 6 feet between seasons, so they were basically forced to cut that story.

The Others were interested in kids because they needed the next generation of Others due to the not-being-able-to-have-kids dilemma

Eh, who knows about Jacob letting the candidates go through that stuff. Maybe by touching them they were protected from harm? Maybe that was part of the trial to see who was worthy? The Others had a list of their names from Jacob, and therefore knew that they were special. Maybe they were supposed to protect them, but because of evil-Ben's jealousy it was more protection-with-aggravation/torture instead.

At some point you gotta realize the show is a show, it's a story that went on for 120 hours over the course of like 8 years, so of course there's going to be some things that didn't work or things that they decided not to get back to. I think that's the nature of the beast. All of the major, important mysteries were answered to some degree, with the rest left up to the audience to figure out on their own. As someone else already posted, I think if they had tried to answer everything it would have just been dumb.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 25, 2010 -> 01:48 PM)
I'll give you that the Walt being special angle didn't get played out fully , but I think that's explained by the fact that that kid grew like 6 feet between seasons, so they were basically forced to cut that story.

The Others were interested in kids because they needed the next generation of Others due to the not-being-able-to-have-kids dilemma

Eh, who knows about Jacob letting the candidates go through that stuff. Maybe by touching them they were protected from harm? Maybe that was part of the trial to see who was worthy? The Others had a list of their names from Jacob, and therefore knew that they were special. Maybe they were supposed to protect them, but because of evil-Ben's jealousy it was more protection-with-aggravation/torture instead.

At some point you gotta realize the show is a show, it's a story that went on for 120 hours over the course of like 8 years, so of course there's going to be some things that didn't work or things that they decided not to get back to. I think that's the nature of the beast. All of the major, important mysteries were answered to some degree, with the rest left up to the audience to figure out on their own. As someone else already posted, I think if they had tried to answer everything it would have just been dumb.

I do agree with Jenks as being a writer on the show did come with some pitfalls. The real world forced some changes on them..some they had time to work with and some caught them off guard. If you think about it....they were forced to change things from the word go as Jack was supposed to die in the first episode. Then he became the focal point (more or less). Ben was supposed to be a guest star for 3 or four episodes....they realized they had such a great actor and character then changed the whole storyline midstream and attentioned shifted more towards Ben and his merry men.

I read way back when that Mr. Eko was supposed to have a huge part in the show....whoops....they didn't plan for the actor to get sick of Hawaii after just a year. I'm sure after planning things out the writers were none too happy to hear about that.

already mentioned was Walt and his amazing real life growth spurt. that threw a monkey wrench into plans as well. Sure, the writers probably thought they had time to get some other stuff until an end date was announced. i'm sure some things got thrown by the wayside in the interest of time I would love to see some of the notes from those writers meetings.

QUOTE (juddling @ May 25, 2010 -> 04:41 PM)
I do agree with Jenks as being a writer on the show did come with some pitfalls. The real world forced some changes on them..some they had time to work with and some caught them off guard. If you think about it....they were forced to change things from the word go as Jack was supposed to die in the first episode. Then he became the focal point (more or less). Ben was supposed to be a guest star for 3 or four episodes....they realized they had such a great actor and character then changed the whole storyline midstream and attentioned shifted more towards Ben and his merry men.

I read way back when that Mr. Eko was supposed to have a huge part in the show....whoops....they didn't plan for the actor to get sick of Hawaii after just a year. I'm sure after planning things out the writers were none too happy to hear about that.

already mentioned was Walt and his amazing real life growth spurt. that threw a monkey wrench into plans as well. Sure, the writers probably thought they had time to get some other stuff until an end date was announced. i'm sure some things got thrown by the wayside in the interest of time I would love to see some of the notes from those writers meetings.

But these are issues that all television shows deal with. That's just the nature of TV where seasons are based on years and things are continuously in flux.

QUOTE (juddling @ May 25, 2010 -> 05:41 PM)

Leaping three years into the future after Season 3 was a great solution to the Walt growth spurt. Shame they didn't continue to use it.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 25, 2010 -> 05:32 PM)
College Humor presents Unanswered LOST questions. About half of these are dead-on and give a good indicator of just how off-base an approach the writers took in their set-up and executions of questions and answers.. http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1936291

I watched 2 mins of that before I got bored, and I didn't find one question that, if answered, would have made the show more enjoyable on any level.

I feel really sorry for you guys that are so obsessed with these "unanswered questions!!!11!!!" that you can't just enjoy the f***ing show for what it was.

QUOTE (Cali @ May 25, 2010 -> 09:04 PM)
I watched 2 mins of that before I got bored, and I didn't find one question that, if answered, would have made the show more enjoyable on any level.

I feel really sorry for you guys that are so obsessed with these "unanswered questions!!!11!!!" that you can't just enjoy the f***ing show for what it was.

It was a show that raised questions about a mysterious island, and then preceding not to answer half of those questions, while the writers desperately sought to justify this decision by screaming, “It’s all about the characters.” It’s not. It was never about that, it was about the circumstances that these characters were thrown into and how they coped, and what they learned. Ultimately, these characters could have met and grown close anywhere. Why did they need to meet on an Island of unexplained coincidences so they could go to heaven together?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 25, 2010 -> 06:08 PM)
It was a show that raised questions about a mysterious island, and then preceding not to answer half of those questions, while the writers desperately sought to justify this decision by screaming, “It’s all about the characters.” It’s not. It was never about that, it was about the circumstances that these characters were thrown into and how they coped, and what they learned. Ultimately, these characters could have met and grown close anywhere. Why did they need to meet on an Island of unexplained coincidences so they could go to heaven together?

I was hoping you'd use that word

Main Entry: 1mys·tery

Pronunciation: \ˈmis-t(ə-)rē\

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural mys·ter·ies

Etymology: Middle English mysterie, from Latin mysterium, from Greek mystērion, from mystēs initiate

Date: 14th century

1 a : a religious truth that one can know only by revelation and cannot fully understand b (1) : any of the 15 events (as the Nativity, the Crucifixion, or the Assumption) serving as a subject for meditation during the saying of the rosary (2) capitalized : a Christian sacrament; specifically : eucharist c (1) : a secret religious rite believed (as in Eleusinian and Mithraic cults) to impart enduring bliss to the initiate (2) : a cult devoted to such rites

2 a : something not understood or beyond understanding : enigma b obsolete : a private secret c : the secret or specialized practices or ritual peculiar to an occupation or a body of people d : a piece of fiction dealing usually with the solution of a mysterious crime

3 : profound, inexplicable, or secretive quality or character

That's why I'm fine with it.

Also, the show was ALWAYS about the characters. It's lesson one on how to write a TV show or movie. It's why most episodes had flashbacks-forwards-sideways about a character(s), and not that toy truck on the island, or the stone plug, or tom's fake beard manufacturer. Cause that would be boring and idiotic.

Every show that has come on the air since LOST premiered that has tried to be the next LOST has FAILED because they didn't focus on the characters like LOST and tried to only use the mystery/twists/crazy s*** as the driving force behind the plot. They have all been awful and gotten the axe PDQ...

Edited by Cali

QUOTE (Cali @ May 25, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)

I love it when you analyze.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 25, 2010 -> 07:32 PM)
College Humor presents Unanswered LOST questions. About half of these are dead-on and give a good indicator of just how off-base an approach the writers took in their set-up and executions of questions and answers.. http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1936291

The majority of those are stupid.

For example

Why did the monster kill the pilot?

Why does the monster make mechanical sounds?

What did locke see when he first saw the smoke?

Why did tom feel the need to wear a fake beard?

Thats just from me watching the first minute or so.

A lot of those questions have been answered too and a lot of the ones that are not answered mean nothing to the plot of the show so don't need to be answered.

Yes theres some questions in there that they didn't answer but give me a break if you honestly think thats 5 minutes or hell even 2 minutes of unanswered questions that the writers failed on.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 25, 2010 -> 08:08 PM)

Read what you just wrote, and then tell me its not a character driven show. You just wrote in your post that it was without realizing it.

Yes it could have happened anywhere but they choose to have it happen on a mysterious island, and not the supermarket down the street.

I'm in the camp that thinks the finale was great, and I'm not concerned with unanswered questions about the island. What the ending told me was that the island was real, and it was one mysterious-ass place. How could they explain everything about the island when so much of it was unexplainable? Remember when Ben turned that big wheel and then woke up in a desert!? What about the polar bear? The list could go on and on and on. I'm glad they didn't try to explain a lot of that stuff. And I'm very glad they didn't use the "it was all a dream" or "the island was hell/purgatory" ending.

What amazes me is the number of people that thought (and some still think) after the finale that they all died in the crash. The conversation between Jack and his father was the most telling part of the episode. And I could imagine that if a bunch of people were stuck on a mysterious island together, that would be the most important time of their lives.