LOST!!!!

retro1983hat

Just watched it. Mixed feelings on it, the characters I thought really shined in it, making it a great story that way. But, lots of answers left unquestioned, but knowing that going into it really helped.

Even as I type this, the ending is growing on me. Of course you would want to know what the characters end up doing, but at the same time its nice to just let yourself imagine it. Not everything needs to be answered for it to be good.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 24, 2010 -> 06:42 PM)
But, lots of answers left unquestioned, but knowing that going into it really helped.

'Lost' Creators Promise More Answers After The Finale

What? You're not satisfied? You don't feel that executive producers and writers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse supplied answers to every single one of your burning questions? There's no doubt that there are still lingering issues, even after the two-and-a-half-hour monumental television event, and if you're scratching your head wondering why certain plot points developed over the last six years were completely ignored on Sunday (May 23), you may be in luck. According to Cuse, more answers are on the way, even with the finale fully wrapped.

"We did a little feature for the DVDs, and in sort of an entertaining way, we answered a few things that are not [answered] on the show," Cuse told MTV News about the series finale. "It's just a little side-light on some of the questions we didn't get to in the main narrative."

That said, don't expect Cuse or Lindelof to apologize for their storytelling decisions, as the "Lost" masterminds feel they answered everything they needed to. "We feel the story of 'Lost' is complete and the big questions [are answered]," Cuse said. "The character stories, those are the things that we really care about. That's what really gets resolved in the finale."

QUOTE (fathom @ May 24, 2010 -> 05:44 PM)
So was that casting sheet that was floating around on deadspin a month ago correct? I remember stuff about skeletons, ladders, and a waterfall being on the supply list.

There was also a reference to Jack being in "hell". And we saw that, even if it wasnt the "real" hell, it was a general description for the well.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 24, 2010 -> 05:28 PM)
Someone asked me today, and didn't have a real solid answer for them:What was the end result of the bomb going off to end the last season. Did it do anything?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 24, 2010 -> 05:30 PM)
Didn't it create the purgatory for the dead to wait in, and the living were transported to 2007?

I dont think it "created" purgatory, as purgatory as existed since time began and there were people there who died BEFORE the bomb. In the end, all the bomb did was launch them to 2007, we were lead to believe all season that the bomb created some sort of alternate reality that was linked to the island, but in the end we were wrong.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 24, 2010 -> 05:43 PM)
If the island was "real" after the bomb, there was no explanation for surviving a hydrogen bomb.

They didnt survive an explosion. The bomb neutralized the release of energy from the drilling. It's kind of like combining an acid and a base.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ May 24, 2010 -> 07:28 PM)
Huh? Explosions cancel each other out?

The island's energy release wasn't an explosion, only the H-Bomb was. The combination of the release of energy along with the H-Bomb exploding, neutralized each other and, through some strange act of time/space manipulation, transported the Losties forward in time about 30 years. The H-Bomb didn't nuke the Island, it canceled the release of the Island's energy. This is why Juliet was still in 1 piece after they were all transported ahead to 2007, and dug her out of the debris.

Thinking more about it, the show actually provides no evidence as to what happened with the bomb/release.

The way the show presented it was that the H-Bomb sunk the island (the next episode is the flight 815 that lands), but now it appears that may have never been the same time line at all.

The only real answer I can come up with is, whatever did happen, the H-Bomb must have never gone off, because with Juliet's proximity she wouldnt be alive. There is just no way I can believe that some one 5 feet from an h-bomb survived because of an energy release.

I guess I could go with the idea that the H-Bomb didnt go off, that the way they presented it made it seem like there was an explosion, but actually it was just a time flash.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 24, 2010 -> 10:15 PM)
Thinking more about it, the show actually provides no evidence as to what happened with the bomb/release.

The way the show presented it was that the H-Bomb sunk the island (the next episode is the flight 815 that lands), but now it appears that may have never been the same time line at all.

The only real answer I can come up with is, whatever did happen, the H-Bomb must have never gone off, because with Juliet's proximity she wouldnt be alive. There is just no way I can believe that some one 5 feet from an h-bomb survived because of an energy release.

I guess I could go with the idea that the H-Bomb didnt go off, that the way they presented it made it seem like there was an explosion, but actually it was just a time flash.

My interpretation is that it did go off but a split second or at the same time she got transported in time and never got hit by the explosion but rather died from the fall.

i think its fair to say michael, ben and ana lucia and possibly eloise couldnt go with cuz it was gonna take them longer to "let go" of what they did during their lives. They all commited murders that haunted them. that doesnt explain charlotte not being there. Also there were people in the church who had also done some pretty horrible things so it might not be a perfect explanation

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ May 24, 2010 -> 11:45 PM)
i think its fair to say michael, ben and ana lucia and possibly eloise couldnt go with cuz it was gonna take them longer to "let go" of what they did during their lives. They all commited murders that haunted them. that doesnt explain charlotte not being there. Also there were people in the church who had also done some pretty horrible things so it might not be a perfect explanation

Sawyer, Kate, and Sayid all committed murders that haunted them too. Why did they get to go to heaven then?

QUOTE (bmags @ May 24, 2010 -> 10:55 PM)
on the island though?

Let's not forget that Locke killed Naomi and he was there. I never could forgive him for that.

Overall, I thought the finale was great! I'm seriously considering shelling out almost $200 for the blu-ray collection because I think this show is going to be very rewarding on second and third viewings.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 24, 2010 -> 10:48 PM)
Sawyer, Kate, and Sayid all committed murders that haunted them too. Why did they get to go to heaven then?

i agree, which is why i said it may not be a perfect explanation.

kate i think felt justified in killing her stepdad, therefore "letting go" wouldnt be that hard for her

sayid possibly justified because he was almost always carrying out orders or defending himself

sawyer killing the wrong guy in australia, well that one would be hard to let go of i think

On the lighter side......was i the only one laughing every time Lapidus talked into the walkie-talkie???? he abused that poor thing like a red-headed stepchild*

*my apologies to any red-headed stepchildren who may take offense to this post*

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 24, 2010 -> 10:36 PM)
Another thing I don't understand. In the fist episode of the season, the island was underwater in the alt. How the hell did it get like that?

That was in the alternate world, which we learned was their "purgatory". The island did not exist in that world.

I'm trying to find the story ( I think it was on EOnline) but they tried to get Mr. Eko back and offered what was reported as a 'hefty sum' for what was essentially a cameo appearance. the actor asked for 5x as much. His offer was declined. it would have been nice to see him somewhere in the finale.

found the link

Edited by juddling

QUOTE (hogan873 @ May 25, 2010 -> 12:53 PM)
That was in the alternate world, which we learned was their "purgatory". The island did not exist in that world.

I think the sole purpose of showing the sunken island was to make people think it was an alternate universe, either one created by The Incident or one created by Smokey winning.

Another thing I don't understand. In the fist episode of the season, the island was underwater in the alt. How the hell did it get like that?

I view it now as a metaphor... the island was gone and had no power over them.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 24, 2010 -> 10:48 PM)

Sawyer and Kate lived long after Jack died. They had time for redemption. And Sayid died in a self-less act.

The island underwater scene, IMO, was part of the creation of the afterlife/purgatory world they created. Especially Jack, as he was actually told by MIB(Esau), that he was going to sink the island. Perhaps Jack's memory of this statement is why the island was underwater in the A/P timeline